ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer QBs for next season.

rutpsychward

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 23, 2014
I would be interested to hear what options people think are realistic for next season. Given that it seems less and less that a qb will stay at a school as a backup after starting or even having played significantly that has to be in our favor for getting a solid power conference transfer. Also with greg and the staff having a full season they should definitely be able to get a much better option. I dont know if that became intentional after not getting any of the early season qb recruits. However, not recruiting a qb in this class seems odd unless it is a selling point. What is a a good list of options. Seems like there are som relatively local qbs who have starting experience and now are either not starting or maybe replaced. Would be interested to hear from you guys who follow other programs and conferences more. Thanks.

Maybe Coan? He and his family are from The State of Rutgers.—We need to start getting good ones right from high school.

Reactions: nick614
Yeah we need to hope luke mccafrey really improves. i figure you saying martinez as a joke because in addition to today he will have better options. That said I think playing vedral no matter what has potential benefits for transfer qbs who want to be sure they will start. If we arent pulling vedral it will be an easier sell to someone like martinez that if you come here you are the starter even with a couple poor games.

Which starting Rutgers lineman is leaving after this season? While we’re prospecting for impactful QBs, I hope we have our ear to the ground for linemen on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: thegock
Agreed. I trust schiano on the defensive linemen side. I also think some of the players brought in were solid. A good ol transfer could certainly help.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
I would be interested to hear what options people think are realistic for next season. Given that it seems less and less that a qb will stay at a school as a backup after starting or even having played significantly that has to be in our favor for getting a solid power conference transfer. Also with greg and the staff having a full season they should definitely be able to get a much better option. I dont know if that became intentional after not getting any of the early season qb recruits. However, not recruiting a qb in this class seems odd unless it is a selling point. What is a a good list of options. Seems like there are som relatively local qbs who have starting experience and now are either not starting or maybe replaced. Would be interested to hear from you guys who follow other programs and conferences more. Thanks.

You can't keep wasting scholarships hoping to hit the lottery.

RU isn't considered a good option for decent QBs going into the portal because the OL is bad. The starters aren't great and there's no depth behind them. So 1-2 significant injuries and it's total chaos. That's why they could only land Vedral out of all the guys they expressed interest in.

They got to develop what they have and build from there. That and continue to upgrade the OL through HS recruits, JUCOs and multi-year transfers.

Reactions: madchuck

RU isn't considered a good option for decent QBs going into the portal because the OL is bad. The starters aren't great and there's no depth behind them. So 1-2 significant injuries and it's total chaos. That's why they could only land Vedral out of all the guys they expressed interest in.

They got to develop what they have and build from there. That and continue to upgrade the OL through HS recruits, JUCOs and multi-year transfers.
You can certainly spend 1 on a qb with the way things are currently in terms of transfers. Also vedral is the best qb we have had in a while. So with a full year and the ol looking better I think we could get someone with power starting experience. That is hardy a waste and we should absolutely do that because. we likely dont have a power caliber qb on the roster. I agree about needing to upgrade the ol. Getting a qb even a little better than vedral makes next year very likely a solid season. That is definitely worth it. Also why is schiano or gleeson apparently not recruiting a qb ? The only reason is to give an even better pitch to a transfer, maybe it is a multi year transfer. Still why else wouldnt they be recruiting a qb as the biggest priority.

Reactions: rukiddingme???
You can certainly spend 1 on a qb with the way things are currently in terms of transfers. Also vedral is the best qb we have had in a while. So with a full year and the ol looking better I think we could get someone with power starting experience. That is hardy a waste and we should absolutely do that because. we likely dont have a power caliber qb on the roster. I agree about needing to upgrade the ol. Getting a qb even a little better than vedral makes next year very likely a solid season. That is definitely worth it. Also why is schiano or gleeson apparently not recruiting a qb ? The only reason is to give an even better pitch to a transfer, maybe it is a multi year transfer. Still why else wouldnt they be recruiting a qb as the biggest priority.

Until the quality & depth on the OL exists RU will have a tough time attracting the caliber of QBs we all want whether it's HS recruit or transfer portal. Best I can tell you without revealing anything specific from the pay side.

Until the quality & depth on the OL exists RU will have a tough time attracting the caliber of QBs we all want whether it's HS recruit or transfer portal. Best I can tell you without revealing anything specific from the pay side.
what i am saying is while vedral isnt great he isnt worlds away either. So I think it is realistic that we can get a better transfer with a full year or schiano. Also I think the ol is probably the most improved position and essentially the whole group returns depending on how look at the starters. Certainly a better ol than what vedral or last years qb recruits thought they had. Also i the implication is some specific strategy other than a transfer for not getting a qb in this class other than just not being able to get someone they want, that is nuts considering the worst power conference teams still get solid 3 star qbs with power offers due to how few options there are. Better than bringing in none.

what i am saying is while vedral isnt great he isnt worlds away either. So I think it is realistic that we can get a better transfer with a full year or schiano. Also I think the ol is probably the most improved position and essentially the whole group returns depending on how look at the starters. Certainly a better ol than what vedral or last years qb recruits thought they had. Also i the implication is some specific strategy other than a transfer for not getting a qb in this class other than just not being able to get someone they want, that is nuts considering the worst power conference teams still get solid 3 star qbs with power offers due to how few options there are. Better than bringing in none.

Being the most improved unit doesn't mean they are close to being where they should be and it's limiting RU's ability to attract talented QBs. And yes they did stop recruiting in QBs for the '21 class because they missed on all their top targets. It's better to use those scholarships on building that OL and see what they have in Simon or somehow fix Art. It is what it is at this point.

Being the most improved unit doesn't mean they are close to being where they should be and it's limiting RU's ability to attract talented QBs. And yes they did stop recruiting in QBs for the '21 class because they missed on all their top targets. It's better to use those scholarships on building that OL and see what they have in Simon or somehow fix Art. It is what it is at this point.
I think you are being overly harsh with this group. They are getting closer to an average line with the key guy returning and the new coach. This isnt the worst ol in the country and you are acting like it is.

Reactions: RUDead
I think you are being overly harsh with this group. They are getting closer to an average line with the key guy returning and the new coach. This isnt the worst ol in the country and you are acting like it is.

You keep looking at only the starters not top to bottom.

If we were so good why is our best guard playing center when we have two other guys listed there on the two deep? 🤔

I would be interested in seeing simon. I dont know why he hasnt gotten any time, particularly against osu. I know they want to use langan when they can to develop that package though agreed that it would be good to see if he can be solid. I simply dont think sitkowski is ever going to be there.

I would be interested in seeing simon. I dont know why he hasnt gotten any time, particularly against osu. I know they want to use langan when they can to develop that package though agreed that it would be good to see if he can be solid. I simply dont think sitkowski is ever going to be there.

He's not ready yet and that game is not where you throw a green QB into action.

But he's one we will see a bit of down the road.

You keep looking at only the starters not top to bottom.

If we were so good why is our best guard playing center when we have two other guys listed there on the two deep? 🤔
You are saying a group so bad that it is detering all qbs. I am saying the group isnt nearly that bad at this point and will likely improve not regress. Yes I get that there is more that just starters. I simply disagree that this ol is so bad. Considering the new ol coach also, I cant see this ol being such a huge factor after the season. Prior to this season absolutely I am sure it was. I am sure it restricted our choices. I doubt it has the same effect.

You are saying a group so bad that it is detering all qbs. I am saying the group isnt nearly that bad at this point and will likely improve not regress. Yes I get that there is more that just starters. I simply disagree that this ol is so bad. Considering the new ol coach also, I cant see this ol being such a huge factor after the season. Prior to this season absolutely I am sure it was. I am sure it restricted our choices. I doubt it has the same effect.

Listen I know where you are coming from but the OL depth and talent is what has totally hampered QB recruiting. We've been told this by the mods that write the articles. It will be awhile before we get those quality QBs out of the portal so we need to develop what we have.

Listen I know where you are coming from but the OL depth and talent is what has totally hampered QB recruiting. We've been told this by the mods that write the articles. It will be awhile before we get those quality QBs out of the portal so we need to develop what we have.
I completely agree. In terms of our recent recruiting our ol and ash and our horrendous offense. I am saying specificallly for next year and transfer qbs I see things starting to be less. I disagree that we are going to be able to get quality hs recruits before quality portal qbs. The factors that motivate a portal qb are much different than a hs recruit. A starting role in the big tenis a huge factor, offering that can get us a quality power conference portal qb. Not saying elite .

I am watching the UCF-USF game and they are talking about Mackenzie Milton. They said he expects to be back playing next year, but that it probably wouldn’t be at UCF because Dillon Gabriel is back for them.

I wonder if the horrific injury he had would cut down the number of teams who would be interested in him. Mackenzie Milton at 80% of what he was before the injury would still probably be the best QB Rutgers has ever had.

The O line 2020 ... how many sacks so far? Actually pass blocking hasbeen pretty good. Still up and down run blocking. Yes depth has been shaky but still I think you are wrong on the QB thing. O’Neal , Sutton, Felter , Krimin, Paillant, Bordner , CJ Hanson, Tunde Fatukasi should all return with the weakest links moving back in the pecking order. In 2 years the O line will be where it should be .

Last edited:
The OL has been doing pretty good pass blocking...And any QB that takes the time to watch a game or two of ours will see that they could actually succeed. Think about it. Our current QB isn’t the greatest but at least half of his Int’s were in him and not the OL. We also showed that just a “ok” QB could have a big game. Imagine if you are a good QB in Gleason’s offense...

The O line 2020 ... how many sacks so far? Actually pass blocking hasbeen pretty good. Still up and down run blocking. Yes depth has been shaky but still I think you are wrong on the QB thing. O’Neal , Sutton, Felter , Krimin, Paillant, Bordner , CJ Hanson, Tunde Fatukasi should all return with the weakest links moving back in the pecking order. In 2 years the O line will be where it should be .
That is the point. with a new coach at the position as well as drastically improved performance. I dont care what the mods or others say. To think that this position as it looks now and projects is so bad that it is drastically impacting qb recruiting is absurd to me. I completely agree it is a large reason for why qb recruiting has been so poor. I cant see a 1 year grad transfer like jack coan being impacted to the point o not coming here. the pass blocking has been borderline good and we are talking about a group that should get better and have improved depth with the new coach. we have gotta find a way to win a couple games this seaons. Is the final big ten game matched based on record?

coan and leary would drastically accelerate things with coan ready to go for next season and leary here for multiple seasons. certainly take either happily leary would be awesome.

I actually think vedral while having decent speed is pretty poor with pocket presence or poise. a decent pocket qb would actually do very well. I think vedral has actually made the ol look worse while they have been very solid in terms of qb pass blocking. vedral reacts poorly to the rush, perceives it as being less time than there is. Also we have to get a improvement in terms of te or fb for pass blocking they have performed stunningly bad. I dont know why alaimo has gotten so much time. He has no beneit as a receiver and has missed numbers of critical blocks.
The OL has been doing pretty good pass blocking...And any QB that takes the time to watch a game or two of ours will see that they could actually succeed. Think about it. Our current QB isn’t the greatest but at least half of his Int’s were in him and not the OL. We also showed that just a “ok” QB could have a big game. Imagine if you are a good QB in Gleason’s offense...

Russo at Temple might be available, could possibly be used as a one year bridge to a 2021 QB recruit taking over in 2022.

ADVERTISEMENT