ADVERTISEMENT

Tre Mitchell in portal from U Mass

knights1212

Heisman Winner
Sep 9, 2003
I am just wondering if RU has looked into reaching out to Tre Mitchell of U Mass in the portal. I have no idea but I see he averaged over 18 ppg this past season as a sophomore at U Mass and averaged over 17 ppg as a freshman when he was rookie of the year in the A-10. Maybe we have contacted him or maybe he is interested in other schools or maybe he has already committed to another school. I am just wondering as I saw that we will play U Mass on the road on Nov 27. U Mass has added Michael Steadman 6'10" from Montana who averaged 13.2 ppg and 8'5 rpg from the portal as well as Trent Butterick from Penn State who was the backup to John Harrar. Trent averaged 3 ppg and 3 rpg at 6'8" in 13 mpg. He did have a few big games at PSU. They also added 6'5" CJ Kelly from Albany who averaged 14.3 ppg and Rich Kelly who is 6'1" from Boston College who averaged 11.0 ppg. That is 4 guys they have added from the portal. Hopefully someone has some information on Tre Mitchell.

Reactions: RUsojo
it’s been very quiet on Mitchell Other than one report of near every power 5 school reaching out, He would fill a need big time. He could play the 4 and allow Ron to start at the 3. Would solidify our front court for sure. He’s a Pittsburgh area native so wonder if PITT, Penn ST would be seen as leaders for him. He’d be a nice surprise pick up and change the course of our 21-22 season assuming Ron and Geo return.

Mitchell is one of the top transfers available and has been in the portal for awhile. Tons of schools after him. The twist with him is that he went to UMass along with his mom’s fiancé who was an assistant there. Now that Mitchell is in the portal, his soon to be stepdad is also looking for a job. If he can get a job as an assistant at a high major, that is where Mitchell will go. Not sure he can get a high major job, though, which makes Mitchell’s recruitment up in the air.

Mitchell is one of the top transfers available and has been in the portal for awhile. Tons of schools after him. The twist with him is that he went to UMass along with his mom’s fiancé who was an assistant there. Now that Mitchell is in the portal, his soon to be stepdad is also looking for a job. If he can get a job as an assistant at a high major, that is where Mitchell will go. Not sure he can get a high major job, though, which makes Mitchell’s recruitment up in the air.
Thanks for the insight. I was wondering what was going on with his recruitment. Not much info out there.

He had great personal numbers, but it should be noted that UMass was pretty bad. Lost to Bryant in a game where Kiss dropped 21 points. I think a lot of the guys on the RU bench who didn’t see much time last season could’ve been contributors at UMass too. That said - I’d take anyone whose 6-9 and 245 with those numbers right now in a second.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Based on Pikiell recent comments I don't expect this recruit coming to Rutgers.He would want plenty of minutes and be a go to scorer.Pikiell has high hopes for the returning players and the incoming freshmen.

Based on Pikiell recent comments I don't expect this recruit coming to Rutgers.He would want plenty of minutes and be a go to scorer.Pikiell has high hopes for the returning players and the incoming freshmen.
I don’t like the logic unless the kid is a bad apple but Pike certainly has earned the right to do it his way and he must see more in last years class than what was evident from the minimal minutes they got on the floor. IMO if you can bring in talent ready to compete for starters minutes you do it. Everyone gets better as a result.

Now if this has be a player coach package than its another story. If Underwood loses Antigua maybe he finds a home for the combination.

Last edited:
I don’t like the logic unless the kid is a bad apple but Pike certainly has earned the right to do his way and he must see more in last years class than what was evident from the minimal minutes they got on the floor. IMO if you can bring in talent ready to compete for starters minutes you do it. Everyone gets better as a result.

Now if this has be a player coach package than its another story. If Underwood loses Antigua maybe he finds a home for the combination.
Nobody serious is taking that coach

I don’t like the logic unless the kid is a bad apple but Pike certainly has earned the right to do it his way and he must see more in last years class than what was evident from the minimal minutes they got on the floor. IMO if you can bring in talent ready to compete for starters minutes you do it. Everyone gets better as a result.

No. Illinois would look for a much higher profile assistant. They have over $1,000,000 a year on the table for four years for Antigua. Illinois has the money to draw someone much better than the stepdad. Not worth it for one player.

I think Antigua might stay but I’ve been wrong before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT