ADVERTISEMENT

Trouble brewing at Syracuse

TRU2RU

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
Syracuse players have refused to practice, stating that they are not comfortable with the Covid testing procedures there, they are only tested every 14 days, so with them sitting out practice yesterday Syracuse decided to test the team, to which the players responded that they will not return to practice until the test results come back. Today it is being reported that MANY players have decided to opt out for the season & that the announcements will start to come out today.

giphy.gif

Syracuse players have refused to practice, stating that they are not comfortable with the Covid testing procedures there, they are only tested every 14 days, so with them sitting out practice yesterday Syracuse decided to test the team, to which the players responded that they will not return to practice until the test results come back. Today it is being reported that MANY players have decided to opt out for the season & that the announcements will start to come out today.

IF they are only being tested every 14 days ...that’s a really bad job by the Syracuse university athletic department...

waiting for the facts to come out

IF they are only being tested every 14 days ...that’s a really bad job by the Syracuse university athletic department...

waiting for the facts to come out
And that's the big challenge for college athletics. You can have a kick-ass safety and testing protocol at one school, but then you have to play another school with a sub-par protocol. We have always talked about the haves and have-nots in the college game on this board. Now it trickles down to testing and safety protocols.

The College Athletes Bill of Rights covers testing protocols, etc. Almost seems like it’s being implemented now.

Sounds like Cuse did a bad job with testing its players. Does this torpedo the ACC season, especially if other schools players respond in a similar way?

This player Bill of rights is a wildcard going forward imo. It may change everything with FB and MBB.

Last edited:

"Syracuse athletic director John Wildhack put out a statement saying the Orange would test its athletes twice weekly during the season, at their request."

Wildhack? Tough name.

From his bio on Syracuse's website it says he was an ESPN lifer before taking on role as AD--not a great resume:

"During his distinguished career at ESPN, which spanned more than 30 years, Wildhack held a number of leadership roles and was responsible for several firsts at the network. Those firsts included producing ESPN’s first live regular-season college football game in September 1984 and its first live NFL game in August 1987."

Reactions: biker7766
but if they're going about daily life especially if not 100% following all the instructed precautions, then they're forgetting about all the potential time to get it between taking the test and the week or two later when they get those results.

I know they're mostly dumb southerners, but why is the ACC even pretending to want to play football when all it's likely to do is f up the sport they do care about.

Reactions: Greg2020
This is a good thing. Dino has been bragging about there low numbers. He thinks they are in the top 4 in the country. Im sure he saw numbers from other schools.

The team wants to make sure there is more tests throughout the week and mainly they are concerned that other schools aren't having the same procedures as them. Players talk to other players within the conference. They are hearing reports about Pitt FSU and other schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg2020
I doubt SEC teams will test the week before a big game. That or the test results will miraculously be delayed till Saturday at 10 pm.
They do that and it will be shut down real quickly, between being in locker rooms buses and planes and team meetings.

I know they're mostly dumb southerners, but why is the ACC even pretending to want to play football when all it's likely to do is f up the sport they do care about.
Yeh look at all these dumbazz hicks trying to play in the fall...wait wut
Army football to play season despite pandemic
https://www.fox5ny.com/news/army-football-to-play-season-despite-pandemic
Air Force To Try To Play Army, Navy In Football, Other Sports
https://mwwire.com/2020/08/10/air-force-to-try-to-play-army-navy-in-football-other-sports/
Navy football replaces Notre Dame on schedule with BYU; game to be played in Annapolis on Labor Day
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/ac-cs-navy-football-to-play-byu-labor-day-20200806-mubfw6nvabeark62lcehacwqbi-story.html

https://mwwire.com/2020/08/10/air-force-to-try-to-play-army-navy-in-football-other-sports/
Navy football replaces Notre Dame on schedule with BYU; game to be played in Annapolis on Labor Day
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/ac-cs-navy-football-to-play-byu-labor-day-20200806-mubfw6nvabeark62lcehacwqbi-story.html

That has nothing to do with what I said. Or with the thread. Get with it, D rub.

Who is the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces?

Hmmmm. . . . .

Maybe the high flow showerheads will have enough water to wash the Covid germs away?
@RU848789 might be able to back up the science on this.

Does anyone really believe the SEC can be trusted to not hide positive tests particularly when it comes to a starter. You know there will be some crazy stuff done to hide test results.

Kyle Flood, with his drug testing experience as HC at RU, is a real asset for Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide with Covid-19 testing protocols.

If you don’t test them you won’t get failed test results, according to Kyle’s experience.

Who is the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces?

Hmmmm. . . . .

Maybe the high flow showerheads will have enough water to wash the Covid germs away?
@RU848789 might be able to back up the science on this.
LOL you made an interesting observation but blew it by tagging the highly partisan Numbers for some help.

Well I'm sure CNN will have some unnamed sources leaking about POTUS forcing the military academies to put their young men at risk if what you are implying is "true".

LOL you made an interesting observation but blew it by tagging the highly partisan Numbers for some help.

Well I'm sure CNN will have some unnamed sources leaking about POTUS forcing the military academies to put their young men at risk if what you are implying is "true".
I call it like I see it, and I am not loyal to either side. He was tweeting and pushing hard for a college football season. Players wanted to play. Coaches wanted to play. Some ADs wanted to play, but they got shut down by their conferences. Who ultimately are the service academies answering to? Not a difficult guess.

Don't be afraid of numbers, he may support the theory that the 100 GPM showerheads will wash covid off 300 lb football players. He and I disagree on several things, but we also agree on other things. I keep an open mind, and I am willing to listen. One side/person cannot be right 100% of the time. And there are an awful lot of gray areas with this Covid-19.
Peace out.

I call it like I see it, and I am not loyal to either side. He was tweeting and pushing hard for a college football season. Players wanted to play. Coaches wanted to play. Some ADs wanted to play, but they got shut down by their conferences. Who ultimately are the service academies answering to? Not a difficult guess.

Don't be afraid of numbers, he may support the theory that the 100 GPM showerheads will wash covid off 300 lb football players. He and I disagree on several things, but we also agree on other things. I keep an open mind, and I am willing to listen. One side/person cannot be right 100% of the time. And there are an awful lot of gray areas with this Covid-19.
Peace out.
Fair enough--I agree you're probably the most nonpartisan poster on these Boards. I don't think you can point to many entrenched Federal institutions even in the Exec Branch that have played ball with Trump the last 3+ yrs though. You only need to wear the hat for 2 min. minor penalty.
tin_foil_hat_paranoid.jpg

(I'm just busting your chops.)

Peace out.

https://www.memesmonkey.com/topic/peace+out#&gid=1&pid=2

Misery loves company...and the media wants football shuttered...everywhere. You also get to show up southern places which is something they want to do badly!

Academy teams aren't under the same legal frameworks as civilian colleges. They don't have to worry about about a bunch of lawyered-up parents. As of now, Army has no positive cases. If they get enough of them in the future, I'm sure they will adjust just like the Navy ships did. Military leaders would't even help Trump with riots so they aren't going to play football because of him. The DOD would have final call on that.

"Syracuse athletic director John Wildhack put out a statement saying the Orange would test its athletes twice weekly during the season, at their request."

Wildhack? Tough name.

From his bio on Syracuse's website it says he was an ESPN lifer before taking on role as AD--not a great resume:

"During his distinguished career at ESPN, which spanned more than 30 years, Wildhack held a number of leadership roles and was responsible for several firsts at the network. Those firsts included producing ESPN’s first live regular-season college football game in September 1984 and its first live NFL game in August 1987."

Lol, their AD is named Wildhack? Geezus, that's so Syracuse. The ugliest name I've ever heard.

ADVERTISEMENT