ADVERTISEMENT

Trouble for Maryland football

How does this get put out at 6:00 on a Friday night? Somebody pulled some strings for that news dump.

Reactions: MrsScrew
In reading the article a second time, there seem to be some implied facts about this player’s death that makes me wonder if members of the staff could face criminal charges.....not sure if that has ever happened before.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Terrible situation to have placed kids in. Makes me understand why kids need to thoroughly research schools before making their decision to commit.

Reactions: DJK8
We may well see a full blown evacuation of Maryland's players after this.

I don’t see how Durkin survives the weekend without being put on leave as the school works to get of his contract and the contracts of his staff. Does Fridge return as an interim for the season? That should be the next question.

Reactions: Steve91562
Makes Mike Rice look like a kitten who cared about his players. I cannot believe someone one-upped Mike Rice in hard-ass coaching. That description of events is horrific... particularly the food.. and, obviously, working them to pass out or die.

Half the high school football and basketball coaches in Middlesex County were far worse than Rice. Rice got railroaded because he used a homosexual slur and because the media knew our particular school administration doesn't really care about athletics (which made Rice low-hanging fruit).

i agree.. way worse than mike rice. Weights being thrown. But not calling EMT's until an hour after is just inexcusable.
\
not if there ain't no video espn can run over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over........

The investigation seems to be being railroaded by the University. A sign up sheet for anonymous interviews? Interviews held in football offices? Seems to me an administration which knows there's a problem but cares more about the program then fixing the problem which killed a kid. Very disturbing.

Half the high school football and basketball coaches in Middlesex County were far worse than Rice. Rice got railroaded because he used a homosexual slur and because the media knew our particular school administration doesn't really care about athletics (which made Rice low-hanging fruit).
The local media are a joke. Rutgers had open practices for years. They all saw what was going on but no compaints until the heavily edited video was released.
BTW a good friend of mine bought his house.

The safest thing Maryland can do to get out from under this is turn the investigation over to the NCAA. History shows nothing bad will come of it. Maryland will be cleared and UMBC will be sanctioned for players receiving an extra meal each week.

I would be scared for the safety of my kid if they were there right now. Imagine hearing about this and knowing that your son is there working out with the team? Verbal abuse by coaches is commonplace, but this sounds like the addition of physical abuse was dangerous and crossed the line. When anonymous current players are leaking info to the media, you know the coaching staff has lost the team.

-Scarlet Jerry

Whats really toxic are those hideous helmets.

Ec8pxBdG

\
not if there ain't no video espn can run over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over........
video killed the radio star.. and Ray Rice.. and Mike Rice.

Lesson one: If Rice is your last name.. change it.

Lesson two: Don't do anything questionable on video.

Lesson three: Or just always do the right thing (Thank's Spike Lee!)

Reactions: KevH
The local media are a joke. Rutgers had open practices for years. They all saw what was going on but no compaints until the heavily edited video was released.
BTW a good friend of mine bought his house.
They said nothing because nothing serious was going on. So what if Rice hurled some slurs and profanity at the players? And throwing balls at the players? You call that a throw. He barely tossed he balls lightly at a few.

Reactions: DJK8
They said nothing because nothing serious was going on. So what if Rice hurled some slurs and profanity at the players? And throwing balls at the players? You call that a throw. He barely tossed he balls lightly at a few.
And yet they all killed Rice after the video.

Reactions: satnom and RUSK97
I would be scared for the safety of my kid if they were there right now. Imagine hearing about this and knowing that your son is there working out with the team? Verbal abuse by coaches is commonplace, but this sounds like the addition of physical abuse was dangerous and crossed the line. When anonymous current players are leaking info to the media, you know the coaching staff has lost the team.

-Scarlet Jerry
I really do not understand how these end of practice wind sprints were run.. aren't all the coaches watching their guys running.. making sure they put in the effort.. how can they miss...

OH.. I get it now...

The coaches are watching their guys running.. not the guys who just finished running. It could be very easy to miss guys who were having trouble.

On the other hand, we have had many days of high humidity and feels likes temps over 100... how can you not keep an eye on your big guys.. the guy who dies was an OL.. the NFL has had big men die from heat exhaustion.. how can you not watch out for that on such hot days?

Will the NCAA get involved here? I know they are weak but if the allegations in this article are true there should be some serious stuff coming down. It probably won't happen but this sounds really bad. I mean - a player died!!

Reactions: soundcrib
I am interested in hearing if this pattern of behavior was always how Court went about his business throughout his career or if it’s exclusively a result of Durkin

Reactions: rutgers lar
Will the NCAA get involved here? I know they are weak but if the allegations in this article are true there should be some serious stuff coming down. It probably won't happen but this sounds really bad. I mean - a player died!!
What does that have to do with the NCAA? This could be a case of criminal negligence...they’ve said time and again they won’t come down on programs because of these kinds of issues which should be decided by courts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT