ADVERTISEMENT

Truth: (Article)We wanted to be NYC's football team,Right?

Dave White needs to proof read a bit.

I get the point of the article...but we better be compensated for this. If we're not, its not worth it.

Meh. We've all seen the stat that if NJ was a media market it would be #3 in the country by itself. There's plenty of growth by fencing the garden. No need to market to BENNYs

White's OTB blog has something in it that Hobbs must address before committing Rutgers to playing in Yankee Stadium:"the field becomes dangerous for players "
Football is a dangerous game and their isn't a need , no matter how much money or publicity received, to put College players in any more jeopardy if it can be helped.
Rutgers, Maryland and the Big Ten must demand Yankee Stadiums field be suitable for playing football on it and comparable to the type of field that all B1G Schools play their home games on.
If Yankee Stadium can't promise that, no Big Ten Conference Schools should be allowed to play there .
If the field there is comparable to the ones B1G Schools play home games on my argument is invalid and we can only hope no one gets injured if the field starts becoming dangerous to the players as the game progresses.

If there was a football stadium in NYC i would be on board as well. Playing at yankee stadium should be a once in a decade type thing if not once every 15 years... and considering there is a bowl game there, i'd assume that would take care of itself.

Since NY NFL teams play in NJ, I think RU should stay at home. If a NYC stadium is ever built, by all means play there once every 5 years.

Would like at least 1 game a year the big stadium in the Bronx. Think games at citi fiend also good.

RU fans in the city can surely hop on a train and be in downtown NB in an hour. Nothing beats a college football game on campus on a crisp October day. The game day atmosphere about campus, and the tailgating and/or pre-game tippling and socializing "On The Banks" are distinctly collegial in spirit and experience. Love the Yanks and watching them in their stadium, or on TV. But c'mon. RU football home games are meant to be played at home.

The issue is it's just a terrible venue to watch football, a terrible venue to play football at and a terrible venue for tailgating. Other than that, playing there is a great idea.

I'm all for becoming NYC's team but playing there isn't the sort of experience that will move the needle. We need to focus on making our game day experience exceptional and marketing around inviting people from to NY to join the college atmosphere. Going to there, the whole college charm factor goes out the window and makes it all pointless.

Ryan Dunleavy ‏@rydunleavy

Understand #RFootball fans complaints about Yankee Stadium game. But think how mad you'd be if that NYC opportunity went to PSU vs Michigan.

This is a great point.....and even though a blue blood program would never consider giving up a home game, I would guess that every single Big Ten program would lobby to play a neutral site game there.....just for the attention and mindshare.

I just hope Rutgers fans don't avoid the game enough to give Maryland fans too many tickets that night.

Ryan Dunleavy ‏@rydunleavy

Understand #RFootball fans complaints about Yankee Stadium game. But think how mad you'd be if that NYC opportunity went to PSU vs Michigan.
This is the dumbest quote ever! First RU fans couldn't care who plays at Yankee Stadium. And imagine the uproar from PSU or Michigan if the had to give a conference home game to play in a baseball stadium!!!!

Ataylor. This is our home game moved to a neutral site venue. And a bad one. Maryland fans will be allowed to by as much as they want because Rutgers won't be in control of seating. But don't expect a sell out.

Reactions: hiwater
If we feel we need to move a home game to a baseball stadium in The Bronx to prove we are NY's team then, to me, that's admitting that we don't really believe we are the NY area's team. Are the Giants any less NY's team because they play in a more suitable stadium in New Jersey rather than in one of the 5 boroughs?

the usual overreaction by some fans--this one game will add to our exposure--what ,are some of you affraid to drive to the Bronx? --or is the inconvience and extra gas the issue?

so we are so much NYC team we will refuse to play there?
Yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let the imposter play
9a51b448caeb90fac463a8c8c1019851.jpg

Syracuse%20Cabbies-425x425.JPG

Rutgers has the biggest fan-base in NYC, but it shouldn't play any RU home games in a NYC Baseball Stadium

the usual overreaction by some fans--this one game will add to our exposure--what ,are some of you affraid to drive to the Bronx? --or is the inconvience and extra gas the issue?

Please explain how this will add to our exposure.

I work for one of the main corporate sponsors of the Yankees. Every single time they have a game there, whether it is the Pinstripe Bowl, the Army/UConn game, or the Lafayette/Lehigh game of a couple years ago, the Yankees dump tickets on us. The Tuesday morning the week of the game is the same email every time: "Your opportunity for free college football tickets". I expect the same for this game.

Chasing after this elusive non-committed college football fan in New York is an idiot's quest. We are THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY. NEW JERSEY HAS 8.7 MILLION CITIZENS, of which only 0.60% show up for games. If they want to grow the fanbase, fence the garden, don't chase something that isn't there.

Chasing after this elusive non-committed college football fan in New York is an idiot's quest. We are THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY. NEW JERSEY HAS 8.7 MILLION CITIZENS, of which only 0.60% show up for games. If they want to grow the fanbase, fence the garden, don't chase something that isn't there.
^^^ 1000% THIS ^^^

But it is oh so easy to make a deal with the Yankees.. probably score some yankees tix for those making the deal, who are probably yankee fans, and you look like you are creating some high level marketing ploy. Maybe you get to throw out the first pitch for some upcoming game.. I'll be watching you guys Ash and Hobbs and Barchi. But getting New Jersey to support its State U better.. that is hard to do. Who do you call up for that? Who can you sign a deal with that does that.. and what can they give you for doing so?

Tell me playing at Yankee Stadium will result in a 4 star recruit and multiple desired 3 star kids. Give me something besides a few extra dollars. WINNING is what will get us all the support we can use... and then some.

Reactions: KevH and ruready07
Tell me playing at Yankee Stadium will result in a 4 star recruit and multiple desired 3 star kids. Give me something besides a few extra dollars. WINNING is what will get us all the support we can use... and then some.
In our case I submit all it will take is winning.

WIN > WIN > win

Now that we are in the B1G, we only need the last one to happen on a consistent basis to get the bold to happen.

Dunleavy is off because PSU, OSU and Michigan would NEVER agree to move a home game to Yankee Stadium.
Size of their Stadiums would be the reason.
Yankee Stadium would have to charge to much to make up the lost revenue from 100,000+ seat stadiums to a little over 54.000 seats.

Reactions: mildone
Size of their Stadiums would be the reason.
Yankee Stadium would have to charge to much to make up the lost revenue from 100,000+ seat stadiums to a little over 54.000 seats.

That's certainly part of it. The Yankees could never cover the revenues those schools generate on a home Saturday. But a large part of it also is that those schools wouldn't inconvenience their fan base by moving a home game that far from campus.

Regardless, Dunleavy's point remains off. RU fans don't need to worry about a PSU-UM game in the Bronx bc it would never happen.

That's certainly part of it. The Yankees could never cover the revenues those schools generate on a home Saturday. But a large part of it also is that those schools wouldn't inconvenience their fan base by moving a home game that far from campus.

Regardless, Dunleavy's point remains off. RU fans don't need to worry about a PSU-UM game in the Bronx bc it would never happen.
That's a problem for Rutgers, size of stadium and being close to NYC makes it a lot easier for RU fans to go to NYC than it would be for every B1G Fan-base to do.
Michigan fans would have to travel over 600 miles to see their Wolverines play at home
Nit fans are a little closer , but traveling around 350 miles wouldn't make them very happy a home game was in the Bronx.

Rutgers will make more money playing in the Bronx, but most season ticket holders much rather see the game 50 miles south at Rutgers Stadium

That's a problem for Rutgers, size of stadium and being close to NYC makes it a lot easier for RU fans to go to NYC than it would be for every B1G Fan-base to do.
Michigan fans would have to travel over 600 miles to see their Wolverines play at home
Nit fans are a little closer , but traveling around 350 miles wouldn't make them very happy a home game was in the Bronx.

Rutgers will make more money playing in the Bronx, but most season ticket holders much rather see the game 50 miles south at Rutgers Stadium

so how do you become a premier program in The Hunt for a spot at the head table? We've been invited to the party, but how do we get to the table? (and can we stop kissing people's hands in the big ten please? We are a huge research university in a state with a bowl winning football program and plenty of recruiting talent.. why on earth wouldnt that school make sense to bring in to the conference along with all the money they bring?) *that is not directed to the poster I replied to, simply to that loud segment of our fan base. Have some pride in your product for crying out loud.

But do we need money first or do we need to win first? If money is most important , then I'll see all you guys at Yankee stadium. If winning now is the most important, we will see most efforts/resources spent on the coaching staff and recruiting.

Very disappointing that fans on this board still don't understand the difference between NYC and NYC Market.

Very frustrating indeed. On this board there are what one would expect to be among the most hard core fans and yet they embarrass themselves by failing to understand this most basic issue, and these folks are out talking to family, friends, colleagues, associates, random others, etc. and they don't even know what they're talking about when trying to defend the Rutgers-sided perspective by doing it so very wrongly. Part of me thinks it boils down to the general lack of knowledge of geography in this country.

A conversation about Rutgers and its home/native market doesn't even need to 'cross' the Hudson River.

ADVERTISEMENT