ADVERTISEMENT

TV/Cable review of the availability of the Wagner game: Please Post Experiences

Sep 11, 2006
The purpose of this thread is for people in various locations/regions/cable companies to share information as to whether the Wagner $ Rutgers game was available to them. I will have a TLDNR section to explain the technical issues involved as to why I am asking these questions,

Near Orlando, FL.. Spectrum cable carries regular BTN and 4 alternate channels (and a few SD copies of HD BTN channels).

So, technically, it looks like they could show 5 different BTN feeds at once.

For all 5 channels, the guide said"

"Iowa State at Iowa; Akron at Michigan State, Indiana State at Purdue, Wagner at Rutgers"

The main channel has Iowa State at Iowa.. a fine choice

The other three games were to be shown on their respective channels. And two of the three were available... not Rutgers.

I used another source to find the specific channel numbers that Wagner at Rutgers was supposed to be on. It was one of the HD channels (and its copy in SD), That was one of the 5 possible (which I think is really 4.. I think the main BTN channel always gets copied to one of the other spots.. and often when there are no live games.. ALL of the other 4 channels and their copies).

When I tune to either I got a blue screen telling me there were technical difficulties and they were working on it.

This was throughout the day.. before the game, during the game and after the game.

IMHO, there were no "technical difficulties". This was a choice by Spectrum (or perhaps BTN itself).. either locally, regionally, or nationally. That is, Spectrum uses switched digital video.

That means they have a certain bandwidth of their signal that they use for different content at different times. Compare that with traditional OTA (over the air) broadcasts where different networks are assigned specific sections of all available bandwidth and became known as "channels". Original cable just did the same thing.. a specific network's content was always available at a specific section of the bandwidth known as a channel.

As the amount of available content and networks increased.. it pushed the limits of what bandwidth a cable company could send over their wires. So, instead of just turning down content/networks they divided their bandwidth into always available popular channels and bandwidth to be changed between sometimes available networks/content and your cable boxes/cablecards use a "tuning adapter" to associate that content to a specific virtual channel that is not always available.

That is.. they can have 1000 channels assigned to their shared bandwidth but really only be cable of delivering 300 of them over their bandwidth at any given time. I do not know the actual numbers.

So, what I figure the "technical difficulty" was that Spectrum (or maybe BTN) made a decision that in these regions, the Rutgers game channel would be unavailable but some other BTN channel.. or ACC Network or SEC network or some other sports network (they have Bally sports down here and some SUN network too) would use the bandwidth they would need for the Wagner at Rutgers game.

I tried the Spectrum app.. but they showed the same "technical difficulties" screen. So I went to the FoxSports app.. and they had it.

I don't know if this will pop up again. It probably will during basketball season. But any help in figuring out what regions got what games might be helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUScrew85
Philadelphia was on regular BTN
I figured the Wagner game might be severely limited to only in NJ and surrounding cable companies whose control overlaps, say, between PA and NJ or NY and NJ.

It was not a very appealing game. But it would be interesting to see if, say, ALL BTN channels are always shown in Big Ten midwest. And maybe, here in Florida, they show all ACC and SEC content and sacrifice Big Ten, Pac 10 and other content when needed... like when they want to have pay-for-play infomercials or similar revenue-producing content using bandwidth.

This is not the first time this happened in Florida.. just the first time I put any real thought into it. I do recall having to scramble to find a way to watch a basketball game that was supposed to be on BTN.

I managed to stream the game using the Fox Sports App on Apple TV and Xfinity subscription. It dropped signal a couple of times but overall worked really well. I’m in WA state.

It was not on Sling, I believe Sling only has national versions of channels (besides fox and NBC). I did notice that it was being shown on YouTube TV which has the regional versions of channels.

Red Zone is also not working with Sling Today. Oh boy what a terrible mistake I made by going with Sling to try and save a few bucks. I have cancelled my sub.

Reactions: Rutgers56 and RW90
I figured the Wagner game might be severely limited to only in NJ and surrounding cable companies whose control overlaps, say, between PA and NJ or NY and NJ.

It was not a very appealing game. But it would be interesting to see if, say, ALL BTN channels are always shown in Big Ten midwest. And maybe, here in Florida, they show all ACC and SEC content and sacrifice Big Ten, Pac 10 and other content when needed... like when they want to have pay-for-play infomercials or similar revenue-producing content using bandwidth.

This is not the first time this happened in Florida.. just the first time I put any real thought into it. I do recall having to scramble to find a way to watch a basketball game that was supposed to be on BTN.
In Apex, NC it was available on YouTube TV on one of the overflow channels. All the BTN games at 4 were available (Iowa, Michigan State, Purdue and Rutgers

I managed to stream the game using the Fox Sports App on Apple TV and Xfinity subscription. It dropped signal a couple of times but overall worked really well. I’m in WA state.
Same exact thing for me from North Florida

Couldn't get the broadcast on my Sling subscription in Central NJ so I downloaded the Fox Sports app. The Fox Sports app stream ceased right around half-time indicating that my trial subscription was over. When I tried to register my provider in the app, it said my provider (Sling) did not carry the broadcast. 🤬

It was not on Sling, I believe Sling only has national versions of channels (besides fox and NBC). I did notice that it was being shown on YouTube TV which has the regional versions of channels.

Red Zone is also not working with Sling Today. Oh boy what a terrible mistake I made by going with Sling to try and save a few bucks. I have cancelled my sub.
I always have streaming quality issues with Sling too. I can't count how many times the streaming quality is piss poor forcing us to restart the app. And we never experience these streaming issues with our other subscription services.

Couldn't get the broadcast on my Sling subscription in Central NJ so I downloaded the Fox Sports app. The Fox Sports app stream ceased right around half-time indicating that my trial subscription was over. When I tried to register my provider in the app, it said my provider (Sling) did not carry the broadcast. 🤬
Yeah.. I should add, that in the FoxSports app I too had to do the cable-provided sign-in but since Spectrum does provide BTN, my cable subscription gave me access via the FoxSports app. I really do not like the whole switched-digital cable with tuning adapters.. but if the choice is between ZERO BTN channels (or other special interest channels) because they don't have the bandwidth then I guess I will have to live with it until something else comes along... like the streaming providers become better with more DVR-like features (tivo guy here.. but sees the days of tivo ending).

Reactions: RW90
I always have streaming quality issues with Sling too. I can't count how many times the streaming quality is piss poor forcing us to restart the app. And we never experience these streaming issues with our other subscription services.
Sling lures you in with the low price but like they say cheap pays twice and you get what you pay for. But at least unlike cable, if a service is bad, you can always cancel and get something better.

I will look into YouTube TV, Hulu, Fubo to switch to one of them starting next month.

I will put up with Sling for the rest of this month then never again.

Sling lures you in with the low price but like they say cheap pays twice and you get what you pay for. But at least unlike cable, if a service is bad, you can always cancel and get something better.

I will look into YouTube TV, Hulu, Fubo to switch to one of them starting next month.

I will put up with Sling for the rest of this month then never again.
As others said, YouTubeTV worked fine yesterday. I also subscribe to RedZone and it’s working fine today for NFL.

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
YouTube TV worked well. Only had some minor issues in the first quarter with some weird digital interference but it only lasted like a minute.

Reactions: OntheBanks
Similar experience in Oregon. Bendbroadband Cable allowed me access to Fox Sports streaming the BTN show, Had very difficult time finally getting the game until with 7:30 left in the 1st quarter. After that OK.

Not available on Sling in SoCal. Signed up for Fubo for seven day trial. Where will Temple game be streamed?

Got it no problem on Hulu + Live TV. Must have been a BTN overflow channel; I just searched "Rutgers" and it came right up. Also showed up on my live programming feed a couple minutes before start time.

Thought about going the Fox Sports TV app but figured I'd have to log in all over again since I haven't used it since last CFB season. Looks like I was better off.

FYI for those shopping ...Hulu + Live TV comes packaged with ESPN+ (and Disney+). Looks like they have a 3 months at $50/mo deal now ($70/mo after that). So good time to try it out and get the Temple game.

Saw first 5 minutes on YouTube and then went to be outdoors for a few hours
Game is on DVR but I doubt I'll watch it

Game was on a BTN overflow channel on YouTube TV here in southern Arizona, and the game recording is currently in my YTTV library for future watching, as are all RU sports events that are broadcast.

YouTube TV's current deal for new subscribers ends tonight, in case anybody wants to try it without risk. First 2 weeks free and then first month after that for $14.99. (Then regular price of $64.99/mo thereafter.) Cancel anytime, and no charge if cancel before trial period is over.....

Optimum in Dunellen. Recorded it since i was at game. No probl‘em replaying on DVR today.

Think it's like 50/50 now.

Have DishTV in mountains of western Maine. I have sports package and not sure how I get BTN but I do and also get the BTN alternate channels. It was on the fourth alternate channel (405-04 I think) in both standard definition and high definition. Also was able to DVR the game.

Boone NC. I have Sling TV's Blue with the Sports Plus add on. I get three BTNs. For the RU-Wagner game, I downloaded and set up the FoxSports app on my phone and a few TVs, but it didn't work for me as far as being able view the RU game. I was able to log into FoxSports using my Sling login. But when I tried to view the RU game, FoxSports gave me a "You are not subscribed to this service. Check with your provider." Or something to that effect. Frustrating, as I do get BTN on Sling.

The purpose of this thread is for people in various locations/regions/cable companies to share information as to whether the Wagner $ Rutgers game was available to them. I will have a TLDNR section to explain the technical issues involved as to why I am asking these questions,

Near Orlando, FL.. Spectrum cable carries regular BTN and 4 alternate channels (and a few SD copies of HD BTN channels).

So, technically, it looks like they could show 5 different BTN feeds at once.

For all 5 channels, the guide said"

"Iowa State at Iowa; Akron at Michigan State, Indiana State at Purdue, Wagner at Rutgers"

The main channel has Iowa State at Iowa.. a fine choice

The other three games were to be shown on their respective channels. And two of the three were available... not Rutgers.

I used another source to find the specific channel numbers that Wagner at Rutgers was supposed to be on. It was one of the HD channels (and its copy in SD), That was one of the 5 possible (which I think is really 4.. I think the main BTN channel always gets copied to one of the other spots.. and often when there are no live games.. ALL of the other 4 channels and their copies).

When I tune to either I got a blue screen telling me there were technical difficulties and they were working on it.

This was throughout the day.. before the game, during the game and after the game.

IMHO, there were no "technical difficulties". This was a choice by Spectrum (or perhaps BTN itself).. either locally, regionally, or nationally. That is, Spectrum uses switched digital video.

That means they have a certain bandwidth of their signal that they use for different content at different times. Compare that with traditional OTA (over the air) broadcasts where different networks are assigned specific sections of all available bandwidth and became known as "channels". Original cable just did the same thing.. a specific network's content was always available at a specific section of the bandwidth known as a channel.

As the amount of available content and networks increased.. it pushed the limits of what bandwidth a cable company could send over their wires. So, instead of just turning down content/networks they divided their bandwidth into always available popular channels and bandwidth to be changed between sometimes available networks/content and your cable boxes/cablecards use a "tuning adapter" to associate that content to a specific virtual channel that is not always available.

That is.. they can have 1000 channels assigned to their shared bandwidth but really only be cable of delivering 300 of them over their bandwidth at any given time. I do not know the actual numbers.

So, what I figure the "technical difficulty" was that Spectrum (or maybe BTN) made a decision that in these regions, the Rutgers game channel would be unavailable but some other BTN channel.. or ACC Network or SEC network or some other sports network (they have Bally sports down here and some SUN network too) would use the bandwidth they would need for the Wagner at Rutgers game.

I tried the Spectrum app.. but they showed the same "technical difficulties" screen. So I went to the FoxSports app.. and they had it.

I don't know if this will pop up again. It probably will during basketball season. But any help in figuring out what regions got what games might be helpful.
In the low country of South Carolina, Rutgers v. Wagner was nowhere to be found. On Spectrum, none of the BTN channels broadcast the game. Could not download the Fox sports app as it indicated that service was not available to my provider (comcast/Spectrum).

With so much big money at stake, the system has to be revamped. If you follow the Big Ten conference and have subscribed to the Big Ten Network, shouldn't you have access to any/all Big Ten football games no matter where you reside?

After all, are we a national conference now or are we not??

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Boone NC. I have Sling TV's Blue with the Sports Plus add on. I get three BTNs. For the RU-Wagner game, I downloaded and set up the FoxSports app on my phone and a few TVs, but it didn't work for me as far as being able view the RU game. I was able to log into FoxSports using my Sling login. But when I tried to view the RU game, FoxSports gave me a "You are not subscribed to this service. Check with your provider." Or something to that effect. Frustrating, as I do get BTN on Sling.

This due to how Sling Add Ons work, the apps can only see that you have an account, but it does not see any add-ons. For YouTube and Hulu, BTN is part of the based service (you don't need an extra package for it) so it works with them.

ADVERTISEMENT