ADVERTISEMENT

Tweets About ESPN, Big Ten

mikemarc1

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2005

Seems like ESPN/ABC and B1G aren't close in negotiations....wonder if its just a bargaining chip or if they really might drop the King.

can't imagine ESPN is gonna put all their eggs in the ACC basket. Majority of good SEC matchups are promised to CBS and you can only show FSU or Clemson so many times. ESPN needs the B1G more than the B1G needs ESPN

epn is trying to go on the cheap right now thats why you see how many guys are leaving espn at this point. right now fox has the rights to the first part of the tv deal. there is also a 2nd part. espn is in competition with nbc, cbs, and fox who wants the whole thing.

epn is trying to go on the cheap right now thats why you see how many guys are leaving espn at this point. right now fox has the rights to the first part of the tv deal. there is also a 2nd part. espn is in competition with nbc, cbs, and fox who wants the whole thing.

Would love to see NBC step in. They need Saturday night programming..would be a great lead in to SNL for them.

For all we know Disney may be telling ESPN Execs that the cost cutting must continue. Maybe they want to stay with what they already have in place. Can't see them wanting to alienate a large part of the country but it may be they have no choice?

Reactions: 17Q66
Would love to see NBC step in. They need Saturday night programming..would be a great lead in to SNL for them.
one reason nbc might not happen is because they also want to put games on nbc sports channel and b10 does not want that. cbs one could be big. they want to show a big sec and big ten game every week. then you have fox who could take it all with the b10 and pac 12 and still show some b12 games. that would do some damage to espn

one reason nbc might not happen is because they also want to put games on nbc sports channel and b10 does not want that. cbs one could be big. they want to show a big sec and big ten game every week. then you have fox who could take it all with the b10 and pac 12 and still show some b12 games. that would do some damage to espn

NBC Sports Network > CBS Sports Network. I'd think CBS would put a few games on the cable network...who knows.

Wondering why B1G is so against NBCSN...that has ALOT of potential.

Reactions: demauroj
I was discussing the possibility of this happening with this board a couple of weeks ago.

ESPN may have the price they want to pay and are prepared to walk if not accepted.

Interesting to see if the other players will go near $250 million per year for 1/2 of the B1G.

Still in negotiating mode though.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

NBC Sports Network > CBS Sports Network. I'd think CBS would put a few games on the cable network...who knows.

Does CBS own TNT/TBS? Isn't the NCAA Hoops Tourney all CBS? Could provide some sports to those channels.

Does CBS own TNT/TBS? Isn't the NCAA Hoops Tourney all CBS? Could provide some sports to those channels.

TNT/TBS is owned by Turner..which is a Time Warner Company. CBS is owned by CBS Corp..Yes, CBS and Turner partner in the tournament, but don't think it has anything to do with ownership.

I guess they can do a similar partnership in football..who knows. That wouldn't be a bad idea.

I don't watch ESPN for anything other than Big Ten games. If they want to downsize then i may never watch them again unless it is a Rutgers away game.

Is ESPN willing to walk away from the Biggest TV market in the US and the most popular sports conference?

ESPN needs us a lot more than we need them at this point.

I prefer to be involved with them. If we are not, every time they bad mouth the league it will be conspiracy central. They are still overwhelmingly the sports leader

Reactions: IMARUFAN

from what was tweeted a lot of people do not get the nbcsn. if cbs gets it games might only be on cbs like the sec. either way b10 is going to be on in a lot of places. will be on b10 network, fox, fs1, and they might be making fs2 big. and abc, espn, espn2, espn u or cbs.

from what was tweeted a lot of people do not get the nbcsn. if cbs gets it games might only be on cbs like the sec. either way b10 is going to be on in a lot of places. will be on b10 network, fox, fs1, and they might be making fs2 big. and abc, espn, espn2, espn u or cbs.

Remember, HALF the rights are up for bid.

No way if CBS is granted the other half, they ONLY put the games on CBS. That's only 2 games a week, at most (With SEC at 3:30..and some weeks 8). There would have to be another platform for whoever is bidding.

May mean losing Indiana vs Illinois on the Deuce.

I was actually being kind with the NCState vs. Cuse matchup. That's a pretty good game from an ACC perspective.

Second Tier B1G games will likely be something like Nebraska vs. Penn State. Or maybe Wisconsin vs Michigan State.

See the difference?

I have it. If the B1G is on it, people will find it.

It's what happens when you have a platinum product.

Hate ESPN but it's the easiest way to watch the games. I have no idea where the hell cbs sports network is and doubt over 30 people in the country even have it.[/QUOTE]

What?? Do you watch TV using rabbit ears? It's in as many homes as the BTN, 69 million

Hate ESPN but it's the easiest way to watch the games. I have no idea where the hell cbs sports network is and doubt over 30 people in the country even have it.

What?? Do you watch TV using rabbit ears? It's in as many homes as the BTN, 69 million
According to nbcuniversal.com, "NBCSN is in more than 85 million homes and is distributed via cable systems and satellite operators throughout the United States." This is virtually (if not identically) the same amount of homes that FS1 is available in.
For reference, btn.com states that BTN is in more than 60 million homes.

According to nbcuniversal.com, "NBCSN is in more than 85 million homes and is distributed via cable systems and satellite operators throughout the United States." This is virtually (if not identically) the same amount of homes that FS1 is available in.
For reference, btn.com states that BTN is in more than 60 million homes.
I was referring to CBS Sports Network.

I don't watch ESPN for anything other than Big Ten games. If they want to downsize then i may never watch them again unless it is a Rutgers away game.

Is ESPN willing to walk away from the Biggest TV market in the US and the most popular sports conference?

ESPN needs us a lot more than we need them at this point.
It is hard to imagine they are taking this risk. A lot of people believe that in the future channel packages will be available by subscription like HBO. If they lose the B1G there is a significant portion of the US that will be much less likely to pay for an ESPN subscription.

ESPN is making a business decision.

They will only be losing 1/2 of the B1G which is worth so much to them.

Maybe they know Fox overpaid and they are not going to make the same mistake.

Happens in business.

Toshiba paid $5.4 Billion for Westinghouse Nuclear.

Then they admitted they overpaid and had to write down $2.3 Billion.

Have to wait and see how it plays out.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Cali,
It was on Fox Sports 2 for a few years (which I still can't get where I live), but it doesn't look like Aussie Football is on any more unless you sign up for the games via the internet. I really wish someone would televise on TV in America again. About 7-10 years ago,we had a local Comcast channel show the AFL and Australian Rugby for a few years and then one day they just stopped in the middle of the season. It was on something called ONE Sports or something like that.

I hope it's NBC..gets us closer to getting Notre Dame and a lot of major sports programming is in there also. Would help us out of the price is right

I was referring to CBS Sports Network.
Gotcha. Here is a good break down of the channel, # of homes, fees & revenue:
http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/numbers/. This seems more updated than the #s I originally posted as BTN is now in over 79M homes.

TBS 94,602,000
TNT 93,294,000
ESPN 91,772,000
ESPN2 91,679,00
FS1 84,434,000
NBCSN 83,623,000
BTN 79,250,00
ESPNU 71,445,000
ESPNN 69,744,000
SECN 69,100,000
CBSSN 61,000,000
FS2 47,827,000