ADVERTISEMENT

Two main reasons why we lost tonight...

Paul was a hot mess tonight no question. He had an uncontested layup to get it to a one-point deficit and dribbled off his foot or something and had to kick it out and we got nothing on the possession. Then two missed front ends of a 1 and 1.

Net man up??? We won't win sh!t if Paul doesn't get it together. Hugely disappointing performance from our "leader"
Not to beat a dead player, but I must have told the TV/Bardo to try and explain his horrid performance, and the other captain as well.

Before I begin, I just want to wish Mag a speedy recovery. Secondly, I was really proud of how the team stepped up tonight in this close loss and I'm glad to see Cam back to being more Cam even though he didn't hit his threes down the stretch. Also kudos to Palmquist for keeping us in the game with his knock-down threes when we needed it most.

Now, onto why we lost tonight. First, we were in the position to once again steal another game on the road and increase our lead as the second place team. Secondly, now, with this loss, it's going to be a mess in the middle where we will sit.

Here are my reasons why we lost. (1) Caleb thinks he's freakin' Steph Curry, when he is one of the WORST offensive players out there. And tonight, I don't know what the eff he was thinking, but he was dribbling around like a maniac trying to play hero ball. That's NOT his game. His game is driving to the basket or 15 foot jump shoots. PERIOD. He screwed up so many possessions tonight. I counted at least 7 wasted possessions. (2) The other reason we lost is because Paul didn't show up tonight. He played timidly, when he had the advantage all night to drive the ball and either get fouled, or dish it to Cliff or an open wing man. He did neither. And when he did get into the paint, he refused to shoot, which was a head scratcher. He could have taken at least 4 shots in the paint and he passed it up. And two of those times, rather than going to an open Cam or Andre, he passed to Caleb, who once again believed he should shoot because he's wide open. Hey, McConnell, there's a reason why Indiana and every other team we face leaves you open. It's because you can't hit an outside jumper, especially from 3 point land. What is Caleb shooting from 3 point land? Ten percent? Why Pike and the staff don't get all over him I don't know. Unless they do, and he still ball hogs.

We played hard nosed defense and I'm really proud of everyone. We held Indiana to no baskets in about an 8 minute stretch in the second half. But we were horrible with our offensive possessions, especially the glaring absence of Paul shooting and driving and Caleb thinking he's the MAN on offense.

We had a real shot at winning tonight, and those two really blew it. Now it's on to Illinois, which is another difficult place to play. I'm hoping we bounce back and go 1-1 this week, but even if we go 0-2 the toughest part of our schedule will be over. Even with Mag gone for the season, I still believe we can win 12 or 13 games and finish in the top 4 and get a double bye.
I wanted to mention this previously but Caleb shouldn't be attempting threes. He barely makes them and is such a low percentage shot for him,

Reactions: RU MAN
Amen. They really didn't show up tonight. And Caleb needs to STOP shooting. He is IMO, the worst shooter on the team.
I’m okay with him shooting if he’s around the paint and he’s in the flow of the offense, not that crap last night

A lot of possessions we did not share the ball.
We miss Mag.
Can we stop we don’t have big 10 players bull shite if you you’re saying that you’re wrong! you no longer have credibility, so try to use your non expertise to be positive be a fan!
It’s going to take awhile to get used to life without him. You take a key cog in the wheel and everything is different.

Reactions: socaldave
Before I begin, I just want to wish Mag a speedy recovery. Secondly, I was really proud of how the team stepped up tonight in this close loss and I'm glad to see Cam back to being more Cam even though he didn't hit his threes down the stretch. Also kudos to Palmquist for keeping us in the game with his knock-down threes when we needed it most.

Now, onto why we lost tonight. First, we were in the position to once again steal another game on the road and increase our lead as the second place team. Secondly, now, with this loss, it's going to be a mess in the middle where we will sit.

Here are my reasons why we lost. (1) Caleb thinks he's freakin' Steph Curry, when he is one of the WORST offensive players out there. And tonight, I don't know what the eff he was thinking, but he was dribbling around like a maniac trying to play hero ball. That's NOT his game. His game is driving to the basket or 15 foot jump shoots. PERIOD. He screwed up so many possessions tonight. I counted at least 7 wasted possessions. (2) The other reason we lost is because Paul didn't show up tonight. He played timidly, when he had the advantage all night to drive the ball and either get fouled, or dish it to Cliff or an open wing man. He did neither. And when he did get into the paint, he refused to shoot, which was a head scratcher. He could have taken at least 4 shots in the paint and he passed it up. And two of those times, rather than going to an open Cam or Andre, he passed to Caleb, who once again believed he should shoot because he's wide open. Hey, McConnell, there's a reason why Indiana and every other team we face leaves you open. It's because you can't hit an outside jumper, especially from 3 point land. What is Caleb shooting from 3 point land? Ten percent? Why Pike and the staff don't get all over him I don't know. Unless they do, and he still ball hogs.

We played hard nosed defense and I'm really proud of everyone. We held Indiana to no baskets in about an 8 minute stretch in the second half. But we were horrible with our offensive possessions, especially the glaring absence of Paul shooting and driving and Caleb thinking he's the MAN on offense.

We had a real shot at winning tonight, and those two really blew it. Now it's on to Illinois, which is another difficult place to play. I'm hoping we bounce back and go 1-1 this week, but even if we go 0-2 the toughest part of our schedule will be over. Even with Mag gone for the season, I still believe we can win 12 or 13 games and finish in the top 4 and get a double bye.
I thought the foul line and rebounds were the main reasons. Gave up too many foul shots and RU didn’t hit the ones they got. RU got killed on the boards. In general IU was more aggressive. All that and RU was right in the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kbee3
I thought the foul line and rebounds were the main reasons. Gave up too many foul shots and RU didn’t hit the ones they got. RU got killed on the boards. In general IU was more aggressive. All that and RU was right in the game.
Yes, you make good points, but as I stated in my post, Caleb and Paul were the two main reasons we couldn't overcome what you mentioned. A perfect example is when late in the game and we're down 1 possession, Caleb receives a pass in the paint. He has a clear path to the basket where he'll either make the layup or get failed with a possible and one. What does Caleb do? He shoots it from the elbow and misses badly. He shot 1-12 on the game and Paul refused to shoot at all. Those two, especially Paul were the reasons we beat MSU. And they're the reasons we lost last night.

I’m okay with him shooting if he’s around the paint and he’s in the flow of the offense, not that crap last night
Agree with this. But he was really off last night. When he shoots that badly, he is seasoned enough to drive to the basket and make a layup or get fouled or both. He did neither.

Agree with this. But he was really off last night. When he shoots that badly, he is seasoned enough to drive to the basket and make a layup or get fouled or both. He did neither.

If the stats say Caleb had zero turnovers they were watching a different game.

Reactions: RU MAN
Yes, you make good points, but as I stated in my post, Caleb and Paul were the two main reasons we couldn't overcome what you mentioned. A perfect example is when late in the game and we're down 1 possession, Caleb receives a pass in the paint. He has a clear path to the basket where he'll either make the layup or get failed with a possible and one. What does Caleb do? He shoots it from the elbow and misses badly. He shot 1-12 on the game and Paul refused to shoot at all. Those two, especially Paul were the reasons we beat MSU. And they're the reasons we lost last night.

There were a lot of reasons. There’s always a drop off when Pike subs out the starters in the first half for a few minutes but the damage in this one was way worse than usual and clearly where we felt Mag’s loss the most not being able to play 2 of Mag / Caleb / Cliff together with the bench at once. That 3 minute stretch where we were -9 and gave up 12 points was flat out brutal (and that’s with Oskar nailing the 3 - if he misses that it’s even worse). We literally had no way to stop them on defense. Addressing this gap has to be a priority before the next game in my opinion. Everyone is so focused on the seniors but they will bounce back and players have good games and bad games. We need to find a bench sub line up for that stretch that can at least slow pace so that we’re only giving up 4-5 point margin max if we don’t score. We can’t spot teams 9-12 points (Oskar won’t always shoot lights out from 3 either).

I just look at the game differently. Guys are going to miss shots every game and the other team had a lot to do with how many they missed. You can’t always control if the ball goes in or not. You can control how aggressive you are and effort plays like rebounding. They also were sloppy with some defensive plays giving up too many foul shots. That’s where they got beat in my opinion.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
I just look at the game differently. Guys are going to miss shots every game and the other team had a lot to do with how many they missed. You can’t always control if the ball goes in or not. You can control how aggressive you are and effort plays like rebounding. They also were sloppy with some defensive plays giving up too many foul shots. That’s where they got beat in my opinion.
Looking at our offensive woes, sometimes a bad individual game can be a series of isolated events... maybe the guy covering Paul had a great game. They have scholarship players, too! Caleb just went into his Notre Dame game mode and tried too hard to help the team/make up for Mag's absence, maybe? It sure wasn't a lack of effort. I also think Batman/Cliff missed his Mag/Robin partner on the boards big-time for one game. I went to the preseason exhibition game this year and had floor seats under the basket- interesting place to watch a game from (especially rebounding). It was amazing how much mayhem Mag created under the basket with his energy - he didn't always get the rebounds but someone from RU did because of his constant activity. I came away from that game so impressed - Cam and Aundre are smart players, too. Pike will get the deck shuffled, I believe. And, these guys will never let us down as far as effort is concerned. Cue the Riot Squad and let's get some of these teams back in the RAC!! GO RU!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT