ADVERTISEMENT

Football TWO RU Players Test Positive for CV19

Morrischiano

All American
Dec 3, 2019
NJ.com reported Sunday that two players tested positive. No names released.

Better numbers than other teams. I think that it helps that the tri-state area has passed the peak, while other states are still in phases of virus spread.

Hopefully mild
That points to the underlying question with all these college athlete positives reports.

Are they getting ill? If so to what extent?

This is the age group which should be relatively unaffected by covid. If there are hundreds of positives while no serious issues? Then perhaps that changes how we proceed.

Although, the perspective of the 55+ year old coaches is a little different.

Reactions: Kbee3
That points to the underlying question with all these college athlete positives reports.

This is the age group which should be relatively unaffected by covid. If there are hundreds of positives while no serious issues? Then perhaps that changes how we proceed.

The problem is how many will be seriously affected? How many is acceptable? If a college athlete dies from Covid19 due to being around a bunch of other kids, then what? Professionals are a different story and these kids should be treated with a higher level of concern.

The problem is how many will be seriously affected? How many is acceptable? If a college athlete dies from Covid19 due to being around a bunch of other kids, then what? Professionals are a different story and these kids should be treated with a higher level of concern.
Agree.

And even one death, or even ICU patient would be a terrible story line for college sports.

But let's say we are a month from now. 1000 college athletes are positive, with non serious?

Are we moving ahead with this?

Reactions: Greg2020
Agree.

And even one death, or even ICU patient would be a terrible story line for college sports.

But let's say we are a month from now. 1000 college athletes are positive, with non serious?

Are we moving ahead with this?
Let's calm down. For folks 25 and under, corona is less dangerous than the flu. Do we shut down sports for the flu every year?

Reactions: RUDead

And the officials as well. Players should avoid getting in their face.

This will be an existential threat to the college football season. It’s just a matter of time before coaching staffs come down with it. Coaches spend almost every waking hour together. It will be problematic if half of the staff is quarantined for 14 days.

Also, it’s not hard to imagine that teams suppress asymptotic positive results. Not out of the realm of possibility to have Ian Book or Justin Fields or Micah Parsons play while hiding a positive test.

Let's calm down. For folks 25 and under, corona is less dangerous than the flu. Do we shut down sports for the flu every year?
No but the risk you pose of that player spreading it to other populations. One player could spread it exponentially. He could infect players, coaches, trainers, officials, team doctors along with the entire staff of people that work with these athletes. So yes it may not impact the kid but what about the his 50 year old academic advisor? How about the cafeteria worker at training table? Is their life worth it for a game.

Last edited:
No but the risk you pose of that player spreading it to other populations. One player could spread it exponentially. He could infect players, coaches, trainers, officials, team doctors along with the entire staff of people that work with these athletes. So yes it my not impact the kid but what about the his 50 year old academic advisor? Is their life worth it for a game.
For the SEC, yes, yes it is.
:)

For the SEC, yes, yes it is.
:)

SEC-It-Just-Means-More.gif

Reactions: Rufaninga
Lot of delusion on this board. Unlike pro sports, really hard to justify college sports the same way even with extensive testing.

Really hard for sanctimonious internet experts to root for college sports at all when they are just an exploitation of nearly unpaid labor performing for the pleasure of t.v. executives, sports betting industrialists and over-indulgent alumni.

But, virtue is relative, right?

Not bad? You must be joking.

What did the NJ officials do that was right? No need to mention the nursing home scandals.

Indeed, it was the NY/NJ public who started wearing masks of their own volition, even as officials and experts were telling them masks would be more dangerous because of handling. Now the ding-dongs out west and down south will have to learn that resisting masks is not a patriotic duty

The data is all over the place. In Miami (Latest epicenter) there is a spike with the under 20 age group and it’s twice rate of everyone else. To say it’s less deadly than the flu is for younger people based on very limited data and a dangerous statement. In addition the younger generations are more likely to carry and transmit COVID because they are less likely to obey social distancing. 2 weeks ago, I was feeling good about college athletics. Now, not so good.

Last edited:
Indeed, it was the NY/NJ public who started wearing masks of their own volition, even as officials and experts were telling them masks would be more dangerous because of handling. Now the ding-dongs out west and down south will have to learn that resisting masks is not a patriotic duty

You don’t even need to go that far. New Hope and Peddlers Village were packed today and.. barely any masks to be seen.

Not bad? You must be joking.

What did the NJ officials do that was right? No need to mention the nursing home scandals.

What you are saying is we had one of the worst case scenarios in the US, and have brought it to a smidgen of those awful times...but NJ officials did nothing right? You must be swinging the bat for the other party.

Having football may be safer for these kids. They are getting tested often. How many of these kids that are testing positive for COVID-19 had no idea that they had it and were going to the grocery store, pharmacy, visiting different family and friends?

With them joining their teams and hopefully continuing on over the next few months, they will get regular testing and know if they need to isolate or not. They are also at school, around a lot of young kids instead of their families which could include a lot of older and high risk populations. At home or without football activities maybe they don't control their behaviors as much.

As far as the season, I have my doubts about it because I'm not sure people have the fortitude to potentially take a PR hit if they have the 0.003% athlete that gets seriously sick from this. Though they could and apparently are contracting the virus at home, far away from any football field. If someone gets sick and has been playing ball, its a political hot potato.

For folks 25 and under, corona is less dangerous than the flu.

Less dangerous? You keep setting forth political tropes without Citable authority.

Never knew of many 20 something dying from flu and dont understand Statistics to bear that out. Understand its near infentessimal in occurrence. - hasnt more than a few twenty something died of covid however. Isnt it a knowable statistic rather than a rallying cry?

Doesnt mean world stops but embarrasing to continually state things knowably wrong

Because it’s outside.

Sure, I get that, but when you walk across the bridge you have like six inches between you and others.. not six feet. Same with streets in town. Was just saying you don’t have to go far to find a bunch of people giving up on masks or not taking it seriously. That’s up to them. I don’t care. I have Chrons and my mom is highly immunocompromised right now, so I’ll be wearing mine. Personally, I want to think this is all overkill, but I also have a former coworker who had massive organ failure and was dead within three days of entering a hospital at the age 44. So I don’t know. As far as this thread goes, we’ll be lucky to have football without fans. Anything else probably isn’t happening.

Less dangerous? You keep setting forth political tropes without Citable authority.

Never knew of many 20 something dying from flu and dont understand Statistics to bear that out. Understand its near infentessimal in occurrence. - hasnt more than a few twenty something died of covid however. Isnt it a knowable statistic rather than a rallying cry?

Doesnt mean world stops but embarrasing to continually state things knowably wrong
Here you go

Reactions: T2Kplus10
That’s an interesting point to debate but to say that the flu is worse than Covid it’s just flat out wrong and you’ve established that.

Lets cancel the world then if you are all afraid . This is here folks. You have to learn to handle it. You can't shut down living.
Its not about you or me. Its about college athletes that don't get paid. I'm not saying they need to shut it down. If its safe, go for it. But they should not be the ones with the risk. Professions? that's a different story.

Last edited:

Young children die of the flu all the time, which is why the flu spot is mandatory until a certain age.

ADVERTISEMENT