ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Betsey

I wonder if we would have more to offer Betsy if Ace wasn't committed and saving money for Dylan?

Have to wonder if there just isn't enough NIL money to go around for three 5 stars in one class?
Ha! That's a nice problem to have.

Alabama has no pro sports. The Crimson Tide is like their Giants/Jets/Knicks/Nets all wrapped in one.
The south is different. I live in Georgia and it’s hard to find people to discuss the NFL or NBA. Even though they have pro teams here. Any random person will talk Georgia football with you. And most people you see wearing Georgia Bulldog gear never went to the school. They just support them.

In fact, the tax payers pay none of Greg's salary. But, if you consider that NJ now funds only about 22% of RU's annual budget, at best the tax payers pay 22% of Greg's salary - the lowest HC salary in the Big 10, BTW.
Does football fund itself? How much of the sports revenue come from football and others. I will go with 70 percent of revenue is from football with bball at 20 percent and the remainder from other sports. How much are football expenses? I would bet virtually no tax payer money funds the head football coaches salary. I’m just guessing here but think it’s directionally right.

What's really interesting is that many kids from the northeast and specifically NJ are being admitted to Alabama and actually going there.So there's an attraction-- easy to get in and a name.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I am interested to see if Johnnies donors will pony up. Long ago Louie was able to get top city players because, as I understand, Johnnies didn’t have dorms and gave “stipends” to players on scholarship for housing.

i suppose bama is not in the wrong place at the wrong time here…

Reactions: ScarletNut
Does football fund itself? How much of the sports revenue come from football and others. I will go with 70 percent of revenue is from football with bball at 20 percent and the remainder from other sports. How much are football expenses? I would bet virtually no tax payer money funds the head football coaches salary. I’m just guessing here but think it’s directionally right.
Never forget the non revenue sports-- they cost a ton too . We need them also for a host of reasons. Those schools with basically basketball and little else do have an advantage of sorts.

Typically RU football at least breaks even so tax payers bear none of the expense despite the misinformation spread by the Rutgers 1000 types. RU football should do much better than in the future now that the new lucrative TV deal is here and RU finally starts getting it's full share of Big 10 revenue. It is true that the RU Athletic Department overall runs at a significant deficit, especially because RU was only getting a small fraction of it's Big 10 share of TV revenue for the past several years. But, the Athletics budget deficit is caused by the non-revenue sports and women's hoops. They are a huge drain on the budget without generating any revenue in return. At big-time football schools, like OSU and PSU, the football program generates significant profit which then funds title 9 initiatives and other non-revenue sports. RU is not there and may never get there with a 53,000 seat stadium and pro-football competition. But, that is not the same as saying that RU football costs taxpayers (or the University) money. It simply does not.

Reactions: rutger80
The south is different. I live in Georgia and it’s hard to find people to discuss the NFL or NBA. Even though they have pro teams here. Any random person will talk Georgia football with you. And most people you see wearing Georgia Bulldog gear never went to the school. They just support them.
Yeah, definitely. And baseball is huge in SEC country too.

I wonder if we would have more to offer Betsy if Ace wasn't committed and saving money for Dylan?

Have to wonder if there just isn't enough NIL money to go around for three 5 stars in one class?
Every time I see/read something like the recent Charles Barkley piece on CBS, I think to myself that my brother was probably right all these years...Rutgers will never be able to be competitive in athletics with the blue bloods. Every change that has come along, NIL, portal, etc., seems to be something that makes our chance of sustained success evermore remote. Man, I hope Schiano can right the football ship (bus), but football is the toughest one to compete in. Somehow....GO RU!

Geo said NIL was good
I think he said it was good for athletes, not sure if he opined in whether it was good for Rutgers athletic programs. I believe there is a gymnast at LSU that is doing quite well with NIL, so it can be good for some athletes outside the big tv revenue sports.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
This is very accurate. Reason being this: there were no pro sports in the south until 1966; Braves moved here and Falcons were an expansion team. Dolphins also started in 1966, but Miami doesn't really count. Anyway, Southern colleges had been competing at a high level for 50 years by that point.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
ADVERTISEMENT