ADVERTISEMENT

U Conn Dominance

richthedentist

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2001
This is one of the main problems that make it harder for many people to watch women's basketball. U Conn is so dominant that you know they will be in the NCAA final and probably win the tournament. This takes so much fun out of watching the NCAA tourney because the outcome is pretty much a for gone conclusion. In the men's tournament there is so much parody that essentially any game can have an upset.

People keep saying that, yet Uconn Games draw high rates almost every time. Last year in the midst of the " Uconn is bad for the sport" madness..women's basketball had some of its strongest ratings ever.

Also, I miss the rivalry our programs shared. This year will be a long one for you, but I think the next two year will be a rebirth for CVS.

Reactions: BufSldr43
Women's hoops will always be a battle for second and staying out of UConn's side of the bracket. Nothing will change until Geno retires.

This is one of the main problems that make it harder for many people to watch women's basketball. U Conn is so dominant that you know they will be in the NCAA final and probably win the tournament. This takes so much fun out of watching the NCAA tourney because the outcome is pretty much a for gone conclusion. In the men's tournament there is so much parody that essentially any game can have an upset.
OK - so winning too much isn't good And RU losing too much isn't good. What makes you happy? All WBB teams finish at .500?

I could care less about UConn winning to much, let the rest of the basketball world catch up and don't knock something we all want RU to be able to do.
That said: I do care about Rutgers losing so threads like this seem to be out of place on a Rutgers board because RU shouldn't be able to challenge UConn or any good team the way RU looks right now ( but hopefully will be looking good next year and start the turnaround before tis season ends).

Womens college basketball is a joke with UConn total domination.They now have won 130 out of the last 131 games which is astounding and a great achievement on their part.

At least they have played in two very competitive games so far this year - at ND and at FSU. FSU should have beaten them and if Romero was playing (she was injured) I really believe they would have. Without her they only lost by 2. I agree that they will remain dominant until Geno retires, but this year other top teams will at least have a chance to beat them.

At least they have played in two very competitive games so far this year - at ND and at FSU. FSU should have beaten them and if Romero was playing (she was injured) I really believe they would have. Without her they only lost by 2. I agree that they will remain dominant until Geno retires, but this year other top teams will at least have a chance to beat them.
As I've always said, my issue isn't the winning, it is how they do it. Competitive games are not the norm, so I agree with you. I'm not sure they will lose this season, but I am sure they will have a few more competitive OOC games and of course the NCAA's. In the American Conference, not so much.

We need to recognize that the next 2 years they have lined up really top recruiting classes and players, so ., . . And Geno doesn't make it sound like he wants to retire anytime soon.

I recognize that I am a UCONN fan, so I may be biased. But what are you proposing? UCONN should not play hard and should not strive to be as good as they can be? That simply does not make sense to me. I believe it is the responsibility of other teams to try to get better, as opposed to UCONN playing at a lesser level. More of the women's teams should strive to play that hard with that intensity. I believe that would bring in more fans. For many teams, not all, I question if that commitment is really there on the part of the schools and the coaches. I recognize that Geno is an exceptionally good coach, and I think it would be great if other coaches attended more of his practices to try and implement some of the things he does. But I do not think the answer is suggesting that UCONN should play at the level of their opponents. Or suggesting that UCONN is doing something wrong by playing as hard as they do and winning. The goal, after all, is to win The other teams should raise their expectations. Geno does not have the most talented team this year, but look what he's doing. He is a phenomenal coach and the program breeds success.

I recognize that I am a UCONN fan, so I may be biased. But what are you proposing? UCONN should not play hard and should not strive to be as good as they can be? That simply does not make sense to me. I believe it is the responsibility of other teams to try to get better, as opposed to UCONN playing at a lesser level. More of the women's teams should strive to play that hard with that intensity. I believe that would bring in more fans. For many teams, not all, I question if that commitment is really there on the part of the schools and the coaches. I recognize that Geno is an exceptionally good coach, and I think it would be great if other coaches attended more of his practices to try and implement some of the things he does. But I do not think the answer is suggesting that UCONN should play at the level of their opponents. Or suggesting that UCONN is doing something wrong by playing as hard as they do and winning. The goal, after all, is to win The other teams should raise their expectations. Geno does not have the most talented team this year, but look what he's doing. He is a phenomenal coach and the program breeds success.

Save your breath Gigi.... I've been down this road several times with the RU fandom. They don't want to hear it, and I don't blame them.

No one said UConn shouldn't try to win. The point is women's basketball overall is being hurt by the dominance of one team - it is simply boring to have one team the de facto national champs before the season even starts, year in and year out. I rarely watch women's basketball anymore, and I used watch all the time. UConn gets the top high school recruits every year; the results will remain the same until more of them decide they'd like to be successful elsewhere, or want play in a legitimate, competitive conference.

No one said UConn shouldn't try to win. The point is women's basketball overall is being hurt by the dominance of one team - it is simply boring to have one team the de facto national champs before the season even starts, year in and year out. I rarely watch women's basketball anymore, and I used watch all the time. UConn gets the top high school recruits every year; the results will remain the same until more of them decide they'd like to be successful elsewhere, or want play in a legitimate, competitive conference.
Well, there are four or five teams that have the potential to win it all this year. UCONN is one of those teams, but the winner is not a forgone conclusion. Are you watching this year? Also, I would argue UCONN's dominance is good for the game. The ratings are there.

UConn should not play down to the level of their opponents nor are they doing anything wrong. Geno is the best coach in women's basketball. The only thing that I can pick on him for is his tendency to select his former players for the Olympic team over those who played for other colleges. I know he technically isn't the one making the selections, but he has the influence to sway the committee to select his preferred candidates. Doing this gives him an even greater advantage in recruiting and if other programs can't recruit the top players, they just aren't going to be able to beat his teams. UConn has the best coach and a team composed of the best players almost every year. They may miss an occasional number 1 or 2 player coming out of high school, but they get enough of the top players to form a nucleus of the top players. Most UConn bench players (excluding walk-ons) would start most anywhere else. If you are a UConn fan this is wonderful. Watching blowouts is great. If you are not rooting for UConn, this gets boring.

Geno is the best. However, the rise of the talent in the WNBA has turned me away from the college game. While there are obviously many talented players in the college ranks, the number of "powerhouse" teams has decreased significantly. I don't think this has anything to do with Conn. It is due to talented kids going to a greater number of programs probably due to increased media exposure of more programs. Years ago, talented kids went to only a handful of schools. Now they go everywhere.

I mostly agree. Part of Geno's success is unique to him - no amount of watching what he does will duplicate the success, partly because the demands Geno places on the players won't work at other programs. I don't agree with the suggestion that the commitment isn't there on the coach's part at other schools (the schools are another issue, of course). And I'm not implying that they are not variously demanding of their players - but it is the combination of Geno, his staff, the type of player he recruits, the tangible benefits of his system - that make the whole UConn phenomenon.

If I object to the degree by which UConn so often dominates (and I do) I have never suggested that UConn change anything, the onus is on the other teams to improve. That said, I don't think UConn's program will diminish until Geno retires. JMHO.

OK - so winning too much isn't good And RU losing too much isn't good. What makes you happy? All WBB teams finish at .500?
He definitely meant that. LOL. I love when someone doesn't agree w year and then gives an totally ridiculous example of what would make the person they don't agree w happy .

Well, there are four or five teams that have the potential to win it all this year. UCONN is one of those teams, but the winner is not a forgone conclusion. Are you watching this year? Also, I would argue UCONN's dominance is good for the game. The ratings are there.
Geno is the best ever hands down. His talent includes selecting a great staff. No other coach can replicate Geno's overall system because of one fact...they aren't Geno.

Look at this year. how many starting players can WBB fans name as compared to last year.

Geno is the real Wizard of the whole country.

I don't know. Everyone assuming Alabama will win another title didn't seem to dampen the enthusiasm for college football this year. Connecticut is a brand non-women's fans recognize and will watch as they flip around the channels. Even other strong teams -- except for Notre Dame -- not so much. Maybe it's not fair, but Connecticut being good is good for business.

Reactions: RizwranII
ADVERTISEMENT