ADVERTISEMENT

U Ill to Add Hockey

Ice hockey? Why not just build a bonfire with a couple million $1 bills, sell tickets and light it up once a year? Probably a net win compared to funding a D-1 men’s hockey program PLUS women’s lax, field hockey or ice hockey needed to balance for Title IX.

With a full B1G share, Illi still has no men’s soccer and lax and no women’s lax and field hockey. And Bob M was given major shit for cutting men’s swim, crew, tennis and fencing and women’s fencing? Priceless.

The money angle all depends if they have or are getting an on campus facility for it.

The B1G provides an additional $1M (on top of the already $50M+ handed out) to any school that has hockey AND an on campus facility.

The BTN and other media want live content. B1G Ice Hockey provides that. And it’s much more TV-viewer (and more importantly sales/ad revenue) friendly than those other sports mentioned above.

This would make an 8th team (ND like Hopkins for MLAX is an associate member) for TV games. Even numbers are better than odd for scheduling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolv RU
I don't really believe the premise but found this very interesting article on the topic when I went down the Illinois ice hockey rabbit hole. Thanks a lot, @knightfan7 ...thanks a lot. :Annoyed LOL

https://will.illinois.edu/news/stor...y-of-adding-ice-hockey-nhl-picking-up-the-tab

This was the line that stood out to me...

"The NHL plans to study adding hockey at five schools as an initiative to grow ice hockey's popularity. Illinois is the first of the schools."

I don't really believe the premise but found this very interesting article on the topic when I went down the Illinois ice hockey rabbit hole. Thanks a lot, @knightfan7 ...thanks a lot. :Annoyed LOL

https://will.illinois.edu/news/stor...y-of-adding-ice-hockey-nhl-picking-up-the-tab

This was the line that stood out to me...

"The NHL plans to study adding hockey at five schools as an initiative to grow ice hockey's popularity. Illinois is the first of the schools."

Again, this report was put out by the school itself so take it with a grain of salt but look in the graph who is at #7 here...

http://www.whyillinihockey.com/#talent
Yay, here we go again...

A couple things make this different:

1. NHL involvement $$$
2. A multi purpose facility but NOT for basketball as the Illini have their own RAC

Get someone else to pick up some of the tab and keep the RAC. Interesting.

We can’t even fully support the programs we have now. No way we are adding sports. We need to cut sports, which I believe will happen.

Reactions: Leonard23
Men's and women's cross country should be tops on the list to cut as I don't think we've EVER been good at XC.

Checking the results of the '19 B1G XC Championship. Out of 84 the men had the lowest 5 finishers. The women were a bit better with 4 of the bottom 6.

And how many of them are from the likes of Delbarton, CBA, Seton Hall Prep, Summit, etc. who won't send their kids to RU
There isn’t even the option right now.

If there was maybe we could find out. Hockey folk are different than the other sports crowd. Not nearly as needy or wanty.

To get to a full 18 scholarships you're probably talking a big sport like Track and Field and combined with XC you'd still be 5.5 short. Can you really see that happening?
If someone like the NHL is helping, maybe. And B1G hockey is broadcast on both the BTN and NBCSN. So guessing there is a few extra bucks to play with.

And as I said earlier the B1G gives an extra stipend of $1M on top of what you’re already getting (probably around $65M by the time this would happen) from them.

The feasibility study says it’s about $1M to run a D1 program.

And a kid from Bosco is on my son’s team. Met the parent’s, nice regular folk. And he plays Lacrosse too.

Look, I know it’s a pipe dream and a long shot but it’s not as expensive as it seems, big picture-wise.

The model is what UCONN did not State Penn. But if someone wants to give us $100M who am I to say no. LOL.

Reactions: Caliknight
Rutgers was # 15 in the nation in Cross Country in November 1976 led by my former runner Ed Taylor who was the # 2 freshman finisher in the NCAA behind only Rudy Chapa of Oregon in the NCAA Championships. They also had Rob Amatrani of Cranford and Marty Holleran the present Metuchen coach on that team. Most of the team was frosh or sophs. New Jersey is like the # 4 state in the country for high school cross country but our track money goes mostly to runners or jumpers who can do three or four events. There is no real push to bring in the top distance runners in the state. I have said this for over 40 years. If we kept just one or two of our state's top distance runners in the state each year our Cross Country team could be among the top teams in the nation.

XC teams need to go. Mulqueen needs to go. One last program where “complacency” needs to be eradicated and it starts with him having any connection. Great guy, no question, but it’s time to separate from him 30+ years is enough,

I am not going to say who but experts are looking at this.
It’s been “reviewed” (let’s call it natural selection - lol) longer than some might even realize. And not individual sport specific.

We can’t even fully support the programs we have now. No way we are adding sports. We need to cut sports, which I believe will happen.
Cut lacrosse. Can’t even make the playoffs when we were “good”. How many years has this guy been the head coach? I’d get season tickets for ice hockey. I can’t say I would for lacrosse

Last edited:
Most people would be surprised at how few sports some major schools have, especially some in the SEC—no lacrosse, wrestling, ice hockey, field hockey. Rutgers will have hockey one day after years of Penn State having one. Insane the number of New Jerseyans playing Division 1 hockey right now. And no, I don’t have $100 million in my couch cushions.

Most people would be surprised at how few sports some major schools have, especially some in the SEC—no lacrosse, wrestling, ice hockey, field hockey.

Not just the SEC, but the Big12 too. Another missing sport is men's soccer. Kentucky plays it in Conference USA and West Virginia plays it in the MAC because neither school's home conference sponsors the sport.

At UT-Austin, when they refer to the Longhorns playing soccer, it's generally referred to in non-gender terms but it's understood that the reference is to women's soccer, not men's. Texas only fields a total of 15 varsity/NCAA sports (7 men's, 8 women's).

Meanwhile, a similarly cash-rich school like Ohio State fields 35-36? sports or thereabouts.

Cut lacrosse. Can’t even make the playoffs when we were “good”. How many years has this guy been the head coach? I’d get season tickets for ice hockey. I can’t say I would for lacrosse
Yes, cut one of the longest running sports and has some of the biggest alumni involvement. I know you hate lacrosse and lax players. Assuming one took your girl in college. Get that checked out. It’s eating you.

one of the longest running sports and has some of the biggest alumni involvement

I would hate if Rutgers was ever forced to cut lacrosse but the longest running argument may not have much weight.

Recall that Rutgers did end up cutting men's crew and that was the longest running intercollegiate sport at Rutgers (1864), older than baseball by 2 years and football by 5 years.

I don't recall whether crew had as much alumni engagement, relative to lax at least, but I don't think men's lacrosse is going anywhere while the school is part of the B1G so it's a moot discussion anyway.

I would hate if Rutgers was ever forced to cut lacrosse but the longest running argument may not have much weight.

Recall that Rutgers did end up cutting men's crew and that was the longest running intercollegiate sport at Rutgers (1864), older than baseball by 2 years and football by 5 years.

I don't recall whether crew had as much alumni engagement, relative to lax at least, but I don't think men's lacrosse is going anywhere while the school is part of the B1G so it's a moot discussion anyway.

I was told that MLAX has some of if not the most alumni involvement. More than football.

Hockey? What a money pit. Makes no sense without an arena on campus or in downtown New Brunswick. Not to mention, it would be a hard sell to the Board without a women's program being added at the same time. And women's ice hockey is the mother of all money pits - only 36 D-1 programs with 4 in the B1G (OSU, PSU, Minn and Wisc).

Lacrosse is a legacy program. Sure it's a net loss, but it's a reasonable budget.

Hockey? What a money pit. Makes no sense without an arena on campus or in downtown New Brunswick. Not to mention, it would be a hard sell to the Board without a women's program being added at the same time. And women's ice hockey is the mother of all money pits - only 36 D-1 programs with 4 in the B1G (OSU, PSU, Minn and Wisc).
Not sure how the other ones get around it but tOSU and State Penn (like us) have enough women’s sports they probably could have done without adding a women’s one.

I doubt though, like you said, in our case It would happen without a women’s program too. Not because of Title IX but more of “just because” we’re Rutgers.

But the B1G realizes this which is why a $1M EXTRA stipend (on top of the already $54M and probably over $65M by the time it ever happens here) is given to any school that has a facility on campus. Not sure if having something in New Brunswick satisfies that condition.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT