ADVERTISEMENT

U of Maryland gets record donation

Maryland continues to rise in the academic rankings as well.

Does maryland have as many first generation American students as rutgers? I graduated Rutgers in '04 and found it to be an immigration school - kids whose parents came to america from somewhere else and the students were the first going to an American college. I found Maryland to be much "whiter" when i visited. I am not sure the role this plays in donations but i would think those that are more "established" in america would tend to donate more (like legacies at more blue blood institutions).

Maryland's stats can be found at http://www.collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg01_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=1526

Rutgers' stats can be fouind at https://newbrunswick.rutgers.edu/about/we-are-diverse

At a glance, Rutgers is less "white" and more "Asian" than Maryland. Keep in mind, though, that a lot of those Asians are doing quite well in this country, and are potential candidates for making donations.

Remember, too, that getting such a big donation from a single individual is so out of the ordinary that it can't be predicted by statistical inference.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Does maryland have as many first generation American students as rutgers? I graduated Rutgers in '04 and found it to be an immigration school - kids whose parents came to america from somewhere else and the students were the first going to an American college. I found Maryland to be much "whiter" when i visited. I am not sure the role this plays in donations but i would think those that are more "established" in america would tend to donate more (like legacies at more blue blood institutions).

I think donations are somewhat tied to a tradition of giving back for education that is sometimes not ingrained culturally as well as immigrant populations having to prioritize their families first with later generations maybe then having more financial freedom to do so.

While I used to think that New Jerseyans tend to keep a tighter hold on their wallets and there may be some truth to that, I think a greater factor may simply be a culture of donating by alums at private vs. public schools.

As a partial aside, sometimes Rutgers' own are not the advocates they can be. Terms like "immigration (you probably meant 'immigrant') school" perpetuate misinformation.

Probably not nearly as many as you perceive are actual immigrants/first generation (more of those passed through in the 80s and 90s) or foreign students. Rather, many are already second or even third generation Americans. The U.S. overall, and especially places like New Jersey, are becoming more and more ethnically diverse as time goes on anyway, as those populations are expanded in subsequent generations.

Rutgers is not even at the top of the list of 'least white' schools (likely multiple U California campuses) even if it's likely more diverse than UMd, for example. Living down here in MD I would tell you from my observations that College Park is quite diverse and that's not just a recent phenomenon. One visit years ago may not have given you an accurate snapshot of the student body make-up.

As stated above, like Rutgers, UMd does not appear to have a legacy of many large donations prior to this point. Of course, this is a transformational gift from a foundation associated with the alum who was already one of the school's bigger benefactors in the past.

At a glance, Rutgers is less "white" and more "Asian" than Maryland.
As a partial aside, sometimes Rutgers' own are not the advocates they can be. Terms like "immigration (you probably meant 'immigrant') school" perpetuate misinformation.

Probably not nearly as many as you perceive are actual immigrants/first generation (more of those passed through in the 80s and 90s) or foreign students. Rather, many are already second or even third generation Americans. The U.S. overall, and especially places like New Jersey, are becoming more and more ethnically diverse as time goes on anyway, as those populations are expanded in subsequent generations.

Rutgers is not even at the top of the list of 'least white' schools (likely multiple U California campuses) even if it's likely more diverse than UMd, for example. Living down here in MD I would tell you from my observations that College Park is quite diverse and that's not just a recent phenomenon. One visit years ago may not have given you an accurate snapshot of the student body make-up.
As I said on the FB Board on this topic, while it's probably not true Rutgers is as super diverse like the some of the Cali schools you mentioned it does seem they are trying to market it as such.

On just about all of the literature my Son gets from Rutgers (electronic and snail) that's what is on the brochure.

As I said on the FB Board on this topic, while it's probably not true Rutgers is as super diverse like the some of the Cali schools you mentioned it does seem they are trying to market it as such.

On just about all of the literature my Son gets from Rutgers (electronic and snail) that's what is on the brochure.

Yeah, that's not really a surprise and depending on who you talk to, marketing diversity is a potentially big selling point as globalization of our society increases every day.

I think the push toward geographic diversity (even just domestic/out-of-state, not necessarily int'l/foreign) can be valuable in an educational setting for gaining different perspectives just from within this country so it's good to see Rutgers has recently started finally going down that path (also helps the bottom line $ with higher OOS tuition). All things being equal for the more competitive OOS admissions pool and assuming academic merit still being an important, if not the top, criterion among other factors, it shouldn't surprise anyone if the increased OOS enrollment Rutgers sees in upcoming years is actually quite heavily ethnic.

I think donations are somewhat tied to a tradition of giving back for education that is sometimes not ingrained culturally as well as immigrant populations having to prioritize their families first with later generations maybe then having more financial freedom to do so.

While I used to think that New Jerseyans tend to keep a tighter hold on their wallets and there may be some truth to that, I think a greater factor may simply be a culture of donating by alums at private vs. public schools.

As stated above, like Rutgers, UMd does not appear to have a legacy of many large donations prior to this point. Of course, this is a transformational gift from a foundation associated with the alum who was already one of the school's bigger benefactors in the past.

Until about 25 years ago, donations to public colleges were unheard of: it was expected that the state would support. That assumption, of course, is no longer true. It has been quite a feat for public institutions to change the attitude. In contrast, private colleges stress donations, and treat their students in a way that attracts future donations. That's why the grading curve is so much higher at Stanford than at Cal.

Reactions: RUnTeX

At UC Berkeley, student enrollment is 35% Asian and 26% white. BTW, I think marketing should not be about diversity alone, especially because East and South Asians are going to be considered white in the next generation.

ADVERTISEMENT