ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA has 113,000 applications for the freshman class

California is the most populated state, and has GREAT state universities for a GREAT price. It's totally believable.

Reactions: rufancoe00
The Common Application makes this an easy thing to do these days.

I don't think UCLA uses the common application, at least not judging from this link. http://www.admission.ucla.edu/prospect/adm_fr/fradms.pdf

BTW, let me quote a passage:

UCLA receives the most admission applications
of any university in the United States, and our
admissions requirements are among the most
selective in the nation. At UCLA we’re looking for
more than just straight-A students. We seek students
with unique stories whose rich experience brings the
type of perspective and leadership that we value.

You’re right.

And I noticed they aren’t on the other one either, the Coalition Application.

Camden: is applying to the UC schools similar to RU where you can apply to more than one school on the same app?

I don't think UCLA uses the common application, at least not judging from this link. http://www.admission.ucla.edu/prospect/adm_fr/fradms.pdf

BTW, let me quote a passage:

UCLA receives the most admission applications
of any university in the United States, and our
admissions requirements are among the most
selective in the nation. At UCLA we’re looking for
more than just straight-A students. We seek students
with unique stories whose rich experience brings the
type of perspective and leadership that we value.
Sounds like liberal silliness, select the smartest students and leave the PC stuff on the sidelines.

Sounds like liberal silliness, select the smartest students and leave the PC stuff on the sidelines.

Look at the application I linked. The questions are directed to finding out what kind of person you are and what you have done, e.g. have you helped solve a conflict? That's not "PC stuff;" that's the kind of stuff the Ivy schools have always been concerned about. Part of it is a desire to search for future leaders.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Hah! That's hilarious, considering the "liberal silliness" you're referring to was originated at Columbia University in the 1910s in a bid to separate Jewish applicants from non-Jewish applicants. It was then replicated across the Ivy Leagues (and eventually the country). Remember that Universities at that time were often bastions of conservatism, not liberalism. President Lawrence Lowell of Harvard was VP of the anti-immigration league at the time.

(And yes, Rutgers had a Quota.)

That's idiotic. The selective schools have ALWAYS looked for "well-rounded" students, rather than just smart ones. You hear stories about kids "needing" extracurricular activities or taking up an instrument to look good for colleges. Nothing PC about it. It's about having an interesting student body.

Or, to put it another way, to have 3,000 freshmen with 3.9 high school GPAs who want to major in math would not make for an interesting place.

That makes it the most sought-after school in the nation. My alma mater, Cal, is 5th among University of California campuses with about 90,000. http://www.latimes.com/local/education/higher-ed/la-me-edu-ucla-applicants-20171214-story.html
I know. It's beyond unbelievable. My son is a senior and just applied to 8 of the UC schools. He has a 4.5 weighted GPA; 3.8 unweighted GPA and a 1380 SAT score and he still may not get into UCLA or Berkeley. We are actually hoping he has a realistic chance at San Diego, Santa Barbara, Davis and Irvine. And the aforementioned schools also have between 85,000 and 90,000+ applications. It's really insane, when a friend of mine got into UCLA in the late seventies with a 3.3 GPA and a 1200 SAT score.

Last edited:
True. But it's not the common app for the UC schools. They have their own app.
Like Rutgers.

And as pointed out earlier, I was wrong about the UC schools being the Common or Coalition Apps.

Good luck to your boy!

Reactions: RU MAN
Like Rutgers.

And as pointed out earlier, I was wrong about the UC schools being the Common or Coalition Apps.

Good luck to your boy!
Thanks. I can't believe how crazy this whole process is now.

I know. It's beyond unbelievable. My son is a senior and just applied to 8 of the UC schools. He has a 4.5 weighted GPA; 3.8 unweighted GPA and a 1380 SAT score and he still may not get into UCLA or Berkeley. We are actually hoping he has a realistic chance at San Diego, Santa Barbara, Davis and Irvine. And the aforementioned schools also have between 85,000 and 90,000+ applications. It's really insane, when a friend of mine got into UCLA in the late seventies with a 3.3 GPA and a 1200 SAT score.
I would assume you live in California.

I would assume you live in California.
Yes. I've lived here for the last 34 years. I offered my son a chance to go east to Rutgers, early decision at Brown or Dartmouth and he had no desire. I can't blame him because when we toured all of the campuses out here the weather was just too nice especially in Santa Barbara and San Diego. Both of those schools are either overlooking the ocean or less than five minutes away with average temperatures year round of 72 degrees.

California is the most populated state, and has GREAT state universities for a GREAT price. It's totally believable.

Great school, but only a good price. In-state tuition room and board is now around $29K. Used to be far cheaper even accounting for today's dollar.

Great school, but only a good price. In-state tuition room and board is now around $29K. Used to be far cheaper even accounting for today's dollar.
Actually the price is $35,000.

Actually, I was only giving tuition room and board. $35,000 is close to the all-in price, including books, fees and other costs. According to UCLA's website those total costs are $33,604. Amazingly, out-of-state cost is $63,618!!!

http://www.admission.ucla.edu/Prospect/budget.htm
Trust me, when they say 33,604 it's closer to $35,000 because I have a doctor friend whose son is a freshman there and he's paying the full bill. Still a lot cheaper than private schools, based on today's environment but crazy when one sees how college tuition over the last twenty years has skyrocketed. BTW, USC lists their entire package at about $68,000 per year (for everything) but it's actually closer to $73,000 per year, which is insane.

Trust me, when they say 33,604 it's closer to $35,000 because I have a doctor friend whose son is a freshman there and he's paying the full bill. Still a lot cheaper than private schools, based on today's environment but crazy when one sees how college tuition over the last twenty years has skyrocketed. BTW, USC lists their entire package at about $68,000 per year (for everything) but it's actually closer to $73,000 per year, which is insane.

Insane, indeed!

Yes. I've lived here for the last 34 years. I offered my son a chance to go east to Rutgers, early decision at Brown or Dartmouth and he had no desire. I can't blame him because when we toured all of the campuses out here the weather was just too nice especially in Santa Barbara and San Diego. Both of those schools are either overlooking the ocean or less than five minutes away with average temperatures year round of 72 degrees.
Lived in Capitola, Ca next to Santa Cruz, for 2 years walking distance from the beach but the water was too cold. Around 75 degrees years round and when it got into the 80’s I thought it was too hot.

Lived in Capitola, Ca next to Santa Cruz, for 2 years walking distance from the beach but the water was too cold. Around 75 degrees years round and when it got into the 80’s I thought it was too hot.
We visited the campus. It's pretty in that the buildings are in and around the redwood trees, but it didn't feel like a campus. It felt like a luxurious sleep away camp. But because all of the top UC schools have gotten so difficult to get into, my son has them as his safety school. And even Santa Cruz has gotten more difficult. Just five years ago, if you had a 3.4 GPA and 1090 SAT scores, you probably got in because they accepted something like 68%. Today they only accept around 50% and the unweighted GPA has risen to a 3.7 and SAT scores are around 1200. It's really gotten out of hand, because so many OOS and foreign students are now added to the equation, and the Regents can charge them $60,000+ a year as opposed to $35,000 a year for in-state.

ADVERTISEMENT