ADVERTISEMENT

UCONN back to Big East, per report

Has anyone confirmed what this guy alleges he confirmed.

People are talking about their football program going to the MAC but I thought the reason they kicked out UMass is that they would not play all their sports there. Possibilities for the AAC— Old Dominion, UNC Charlotte, FAU,FIU, James Madison, Texas State, UTSA. Wichita State has been talking about bringing back football. Wonder if AAC just brings in one school or more ?

Reactions: koleszar
Any possibility the AAC brings in an all sports school plus one or two basketball only schools? Maybe Saint Louis or Dayton ?

I mentioned long ago that UConn would drift downward as a basketball program, not necessarily right away, but over the coming decades

This should definately reverse that, if true...... we might have had more trouble landing Montez, for example, since we were battling UConn for him right till the end. I think the lure of the big 10 far exceeded that of the AAC, at least for MM

What happens with their football? Are they moving down a level there, basically giving up bigger aspirations

This is a smart move by UConn....even at the expense of football program either going down to 1AA or dropped altogether

Reactions: IL Lusciato
The Big East needed UCONN to remain in the status level of a true major conference which had turned into Villanova. Xavier and then a significant dropoff in the last 5 years where Seton Hall and Marquette were considered 3A or 3B depending on the season....neither St St Johns or Georgetown have been able to do anything once Pitt, ND. Cuse departed.

The bad hires or curious ones of Mullin, Ewing and Mike Anderson forced the Big East to act. Selling out MSG at all costs for as many sessions for the Big East tournament is a must....having 2 to 4K empty seats per session on Thursday is a no-no for the Big East and is solved with UConn fans gobbling up tickets.

It also solves ticket sales for Seton Hall, Nova, St John's and Georgetown road games as UConn fans will travel and eat up tickets as long as they're contenders for the league.

Win-Win for the Big East.

Any possibility the AAC brings in an all sports school plus one or two basketball only schools? Maybe Saint Louis or Dayton ?
Hi Heaven. Will be interesting to see what the AAC does though I’m sure they knew this was inevitable. For selfish purposes, I’d like to see UMass get an invite. Their football can’t be any worse than UConn and they were once quite relevant in basketball. Umass - Temple has always been a rivalry and it retains some northeast prescence for aac

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Hey Phil, it has been a long time since I have been this anxious for a Rutgers Basketball season to begin. AND just days until the RWJ Barnabas Center opens !!!

This is a smart move by UConn....even at the expense of football program either going down to 1AA or dropped altogether
UConn has a football program? I guess they do since they ave payers in football uniforms. That "program" was going nowhere even if they landed in the BIG.

The knock on the BigEast and what contributed to its demise was the lack of synergy amongst the schools (i.e., large state schools that played football mixed with small Catholic basketball schools). They finally had that synergy (I think only Butler isn’t Catholic but they don’t have football). Now, they are taking a step back towards where they once were. It makes sense right now but time will tell whether it’s sustainable.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
UConn has a football program? I guess they do since they ave payers in football uniforms. That "program" was going nowhere even if they landed in the BIG.

I know it’s easy to make fun of them but the truth of the matter is that we were the National winner in the latest round of realignment and they were the National loser. If they had been AAU at the time, our fates could have been reversed. At least they went to a New Year’s Day Bowl not so long ago.

The knock on the BigEast and what contributed to its demise was the lack of synergy amongst the schools (i.e., large state schools that played football mixed with small Catholic basketball schools). They finally had that synergy (I think only Butler isn’t Catholic but they don’t have football). Now, they are taking a step back towards where they once were. It makes sense right now but time will tell whether it’s sustainable.

Butler and Villanova both have FCS football

Reactions: Knightmoves
Don't want the traitors back. That said, the BIG can say goodbye to MSG as a possible post season tourney destination.
Chicago, Indianapolis and DC are worthy venues and the revenue sharing money in the B1G makes no garden party nothing to sweat.

Could be that place in Brooklyn might be a pretty good 4th spot in a Championship Tourney rotation for the B1G.
That's if the B1G wants to hold it's tourney in the NYC area every 4 years.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Don't want the traitors back. That said, the BIG can say goodbye to MSG as a possible post season tourney destination.

Delany was on board to go for MSG, but Chicago is a great venue at the United Center as is Indianapolis. If the old school B1G programs were more open to it, it would have gotten done. It would have been bad money spent leaving the Midwest, and all things considered, the Big East needs MSG to remain relevant much more than any other league or tournament.

I think the Pac 12 fixed their league with Vegas as a venue, vs Los Angeles 15 or so years....it's not a destination city like Vegas, Chicago or NYC/Brooklyn can offer. The ACC also has a larger footprint in NYC with sometimes hitting Barclay's.

UConn ultimately took a huge loss in credibility in the last 7 years along with being bled to almost ruins. If they land in a football league that plays somewhere and they draw 18K, it's a success.

The only question is the somewhat phony unified front that all the Big East schools are 100% on board, which is false.....they're 100% on board only if they can lock UConn up and throw away the key with a buyout that ultimately would end their athletic department being able to function. And I seriously doubt Providence is 100% on board, they stand to lose the most with this reunion, but the media friendly folks will spin this properly, because they need UConn more than they realize.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Big East pays less than the AAC because there's no football money. To continue and run an FBS football program is an interesting choice. No reason for anyone to take them as a football-only member. It'd be like taking Penn State as a basketball-only member. They're gonna hemorrhage money if they go independent.

Big East pays less than the AAC because there's no football money. To continue and run an FBS football program is an interesting choice. No reason for anyone to take them as a football-only member. It'd be like taking Penn State as a basketball-only member. They're gonna hemorrhage money if they go independent.
This is probably just the 1st step till they drop the program down to FCS. They have a $40 mil. dollar athletic deficit. So they'll probably go independent for a year or two then drop down. The MAC wants all sports members, they asked UMass to either join in all sports or leave. UMass chose to leave.

say what you want about it but it's a desperation move--hey weren't some of their fans and beat reporters waiting for an invite to a "real sports" conference--they were delusional

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I only care about this move as it pertains to Rutgers (though I did enjoy seeing UConn wallowing in the AAC). And I think this is bad for our fledgling program. The reunion of UConn and the BE will likely revitalize both and a strong BE in this area will do no favors for a RU program trying to claw back from sucking for over three decades.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I only care about this move as it pertains to Rutgers (though I did enjoy seeing UConn wallowing in the AAC). And I think this is bad for our fledgling program. The reunion of UConn and the BE will likely revitalize both and a strong BE in this area will do no favors for a RU program trying to claw back from sucking for over three decades.

I look at everything through a Scarlet lens also, and while this unfortunately helps UConn, I think the momentum and upward trajectory we have because of Pike will win out.

UConn will have to worry about OUR recruiting.

Last edited:
This is probably just the 1st step till they drop the program down to FCS. They have a $40 mil. dollar athletic deficit. So they'll probably go independent for a year or two then drop down. The MAC wants all sports members, they asked UMass to either join in all sports or leave. UMass chose to leave.

They'll just lose less money going to FCS-----you still have an empty stadium------55 scholarships and a coaching staff to pay.

In view of the straits both the state and the school are in financially they should just drop it. The only alternative is to go the way of UMass and just play Power 5 schools on the road----7-8 times a year for big guarantees.

What does that do ?

Win/Win here for both UConn and the BE if they come back.

They could get healthy quickly.

There no impact for RU here, since we're in the B1G.....the Big East has a good reputation as a league today with an outstanding history, some would argue the best in all of CBB.

But at the end of the day, you must have revenue streams to compete at a high level in all programs....your margin for error when you make a wrong hire at a Big East level becomes magnified. You have to do more with less.

RU has lacked revenue, but other contributing factors have been in place. Our practice facility will be the best in the tristate for a good decade or more. We are on the right path.

For those worrying about UConn, it's really a non-issue....they're recruiting well in past years and currently as well. Moving into the Big East saves them from getting run off the road by an improving AAC, which might have improved it's coaching on the basketball front, more than any league in the country.

They are going to get away from dealing with Houston, Wichita State and Penny Hardaway and Memphis, to get back to their roots. It's never been a talent or recruiting issue at UConn....the question is whether Danny Hurley can outcoach Kelvin Sampson, Gregg Marshall and others in the AAC?? I think it's still undetermined.

Matching up with Jay Wright is one thing....but are there great coaches in the Big East, or just good ones beyond that. I think UConn is going to find out quickly that nothing remains the same and Jim Calhoun was transformative for their school. There is no 2nd Calhoun coming for them. I think it's going to be tough for their fans to see them struggle, thinking the Big East solves their problems. It helps, but not a game changer by any stretch......they were DOA ....

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
I knew this was the only expansion partner that made sense, and knew it would happen. When they hired Hurley, that clinched it. He was not going there to stay in the aac. I like the move for the BE. Like en or not, they are still a huge hoops name.

I disagree with hawk badmouthing Ewing. He is doing a good job. Mullin was a bad hire, though he really rallied the fans. Our game at msg was sold out, and last yr there were more than 18k. Similar numbers for Georgetown too.

What does this do for UConn's other sports? Men's & Women's Soccer, Women's Lacrosse, Baseball and Softball.
Is the competition better or worse in the BE than in the AAC?

More logical than desperate IMO.

Describe the difference between UConn-Creighton and RU-Nebraska----or RU Iowa .

What does this do for UConn's other sports? Men's & Women's Soccer, Women's Lacrosse, Baseball and Softball.
Is the competition better or worse in the BE than in the AAC?

Cheaper traveling overall I'm sure-----actually their other sports beyond football are pretty good.

With Womens Hoops obviously elite------baseball is excellent----hockey is decent and they have a very good tradition in mens soccer.

I think the AAC TV deal pays its schools slightly more than the BE TV deal. Not 100 percent sure but I think I read that a few weeks back.

What is there to discuss really? This is a no-brainer and a positive move for both UCONN and the Big East. They should have done this a few years ago, but UCONN probably needed to satisfy itself that there was no better option that could salvage football.

Reactions: batts
There no impact for RU here, since we're in the B1G.....the Big East has a good reputation as a league today with an outstanding history, some would argue the best in all of CBB.

But at the end of the day, you must have revenue streams to compete at a high level in all programs....your margin for error when you make a wrong hire at a Big East level becomes magnified. You have to do more with less.

RU has lacked revenue, but other contributing factors have been in place. Our practice facility will be the best in the tristate for a good decade or more. We are on the right path.

For those worrying about UConn, it's really a non-issue....they're recruiting well in past years and currently as well. Moving into the Big East saves them from getting run off the road by an improving AAC, which might have improved it's coaching on the basketball front, more than any league in the country.

They are going to get away from dealing with Houston, Wichita State and Penny Hardaway and Memphis, to get back to their roots. It's never been a talent or recruiting issue at UConn....the question is whether Danny Hurley can outcoach Kelvin Sampson, Gregg Marshall and others in the AAC?? I think it's still undetermined.

Matching up with Jay Wright is one thing....but are there great coaches in the Big East, or just good ones beyond that. I think UConn is going to find out quickly that nothing remains the same and Jim Calhoun was transformative for their school. There is no 2nd Calhoun coming for them. I think it's going to be tough for their fans to see them struggle, thinking the Big East solves their problems. It helps, but not a game changer by any stretch......they were DOA ....
Agree...this is not material for RU. It’s the death knelt for UCONN FB, and gives them the opportunity to reestablish the BB program.

Great for the BE, since it assures MSG is exclusive annually, sellouts, and buzz. As a SHU fan, we bitch about how obnoxiously and pompous UCONN and Villanova) fans are, but if we had their records and history in MBB, we would be too )and so would RU).

Cheaper traveling overall I'm sure-----actually their other sports beyond football are pretty good.

With Womens Hoops obviously elite------baseball is excellent----hockey is decent and they have a very good tradition in mens soccer.
I mean now that they will be in the BE and not the AAC competion wise.

Not really sure what you’re saying. If you’re saying UConn is in no sure situation to dominate in the BE, that’s certainly true. But it gives them back old rivalries which gives them interest from the fanbase which gives them money. All theoretical of course. A strong UConn MBB doesn’t affect RU, but if it energizes the BE Tourney and by extension schools like SJU and SHU, that will affect us. Not that these schools need help to beat our ass.

ADVERTISEMENT