ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling UMD Match Cancelled due to COVID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Rutgers for letting us know right after we subscribed to BTN+

Just as first whistle was supposed to commence, it was announced via the Rutgers wrestling twitter page that tonight's dual with the University of Maryland has been cancelled due to a positive COVID-19 test within the Rutgers wrestling program.

More to follow as TKR learns more.

Reactions: MS-RU
Something is not right in the program. Don’t care what anyone says. You can defend til your blue in the face. This is 1 month of no wrestling. I wouldn’t expect anything from our guys in postseason.
There is loss of control within the program. FB went an entire 8-9 games without a positive case.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
Something is not right in the program. Don’t care what anyone says. You can defend til your blue in the face. This is 1 month of no wrestling. I wouldn’t expect anything from our guys in postseason
Clearly you don’t know anyone who has gotten covid. You can be completely responsible and still catch this virus. This isn’t anyone’s fault.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Something is not right in the program. Don’t care what anyone says. You can defend til your blue in the face. This is 1 month of no wrestling. I wouldn’t expect anything from our guys in postseason
Lets find out the story before jumping to a conclusion. Sea bass said it was Maryland

Reactions: TRU2RU and elvis7
Clearly you don’t know anyone who has gotten covid. You can be completely responsible and still catch this virus. This isn’t anyone’s fault.
Clearly you don’t know shit about me so don’t jump to conclusions. One of my best friends died of it so shut the **** up!!!

Yeah but if a positive case came back that’s not UMD’s fault

That's the thing, it doesn't sound like a new positive. Now we are all working off the same 3rd hand information so this could be 100% wrong but it sounds like some bush league BS on Maryland's part.

Clearly you don’t know shit about me so don’t jump to conclusions. One of my best friends died of it so shut the **** up!!!
I’m sorry for your loss. You should then be very well aware that catching the virus doesn’t indicate a lack of responsibility.

Reactions: TRU2RU and rondi
what about the guys that need 4 matches to qualify for tournaments now?
They'll have to get them at B1G's. The 4 match threshold is for NCAA's. At this point who gives a sh*t anymore it'll be 34 days since we've wrestled a match when B1G's happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobotHunter
I agree
That's the thing, it doesn't sound like a new positive. Now we are all working off the same 3rd hand information so this could be 100% wrong but it sounds like some bush league BS on Maryland's part.
but I goo
i agree but don’t understand how they could just do that. I guess we will find out. Or not. I would think the B10 would get involved. You can’t just cancel for no reason. If that’s the case they should reimburse us for the trip down there

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Goodale has been less than thrilled with how the big 10 has handled covid. He’s going to lose his mind about this one.

Reactions: MS-RU
Grello tweeted out that Maryland knew about the positive test within the program(didn't say who) at 10:00 this morning and canceled the meet at weigh-in.

Reactions: Leonard23
Rutgers twitter said a positive within the Rutgers program. Alvarez still needs a match so does Donner and Hwt. Anyone who gets covid now will miss Big 10s

Grello tweeted out that Maryland knew about the positive test within the program(didn't say who) at 10:00 this morning and canceled the meet at weigh-in.

If true, it means it was a new positive test which isn't a good look from the program after having 2+ weeks to contain it but it's still an incredibly bush league move by Maryland.

If true, it means it was a new positive test which isn't a good look from the program after having 2+ weeks to contain it but it's still an incredibly bush league move by Maryland.
Agree but I still have questions. Was the positive test a wrestler? A coach? Equipment manager?

Did the positive test make the trip? Were all the wrestlers scheduled appropriately tested and contact-traced? Were they cleared?

Goodale has been less than thrilled with how the big 10 has handled covid. He’s going to lose his mind about this one.
He has no one to be pissed at any longer than himself and his team.

It was a positive antigen test which I am told is a rapid test of a backup. They made everyone make weight for 7 hours and then cancelled. Bush league

I wouldn't think it matters if it was a backup, starter, or an assistant coach since everyone there sat on a bus together, sat in team meetings together, ate together, etc.. too much close to contact and unfortunately in today's environment the correct move was to cancel.

With that being said, the RU side is sticking with the 10am timeline which means UMD pulled an absolutely scumbag move by letting them hang around all day, cut weight, and then cancel at 5pm. Fvck them.

You only need 4 matches to qualify for NCAAs. Those guys that are short will get at least 1 match at the big 10s. If they need more than 1 well they better win a match then.

doesn't the b1g tourney, have wrestlebacks? so each wrestler has at least 2 bouts there?

I screwed up the copy/paste above but the Maryland coach said he was pulled out of practice and didn't know about the positive test until 4:15. Why he found out so late I don't know but it makes sense since his guys where in there practicing/cutting as well. Don't think that late cancelation was intentional by the Maryland coaching staff.

I get the anger with Maryland making them hang around all day but really Rutgers has no one to blame here. While other teams have gotten their sh*t together, Rutgers continues to fumble and bumble along with this. Apparently the wrestlers just aren't getting the message, it's been managed horribly.

Last edited:
Rutgers twitter said a positive within the Rutgers program. Alvarez still needs a match so does Donner and Hwt. Anyone who gets covid now will miss Big 10s
Unless it's a top wrestler from 1 of the top programs who needs 4 matches to be eligible for NCAAs, because then the B1G will lower the 17 days quarantine to 14 days or 10 days with 3 negative test,s so they can wrestle at B1G championships... like the tOSU exception in FB.

Sooooo, SeaBass and Grello or Clemsen? Did MD find out at 10 AM or 4:15 PM?

I screwed up the copy/paste above but the Maryland coach said he was pulled out of practice and didn't know about the positive test until 4:15. Why he found out so late I don't know but it makes sense since his guys where in there practicing/cutting as well. Don't think that late cancelation was intentional by the Maryland coaching staff.
Rutgers wrestlers saying MD knew at 10 AM, not 4:15 PM so who's right?

The biggest issue in all of this is now that everyone who doesn't have 4 matches (Alvarez, Donner, McDermott, Colucci) are all at risk of not being able to attend the B1Gs and subsequently the national tournament if they ever come up positive since they were clearly in close contact with the individual/backup who tested positive. It has to be a nerve-racking 2 weeks for those guys, especially someone like Alvarez who has high hopes/aspirations, coming up.

Everyone else who has 4 matches could theoretically test positive and miss the conference tournament but still qualify for nationals given the time frame. Now, fringe guys like MVB, Kanniard, Turley, Poz, Janzer, and even Aguilar might not make it without winning a match at the tournament so their fates would rest in coaches hands for at large spots and other people's on mat performances.

We are in a an absolutely terrible situation here. We are literally the worst program in the B1G and possibly the country in navigating the COVID situation as I'm pretty sure after this weekend we will have the least number of matches in the country. That's a bad, bad look any way you spin it.

Reactions: koleszar
I don’t think it’s indicative of the school though. Look at the overall covid rate in New Jersey compared to the other big 10 schools like Ohio, PA, Maryland, Michigan, etc. It’s the geography, not the school or program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT