ADVERTISEMENT

Under 21 World Championships

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
The USA beat Canada 7-5. Our own Shane Knobloch had a nice game running on the first middie line and Ross Scott played well for Canada where he is running the show. I would expect to see these two teams match up again in the finals. Pretty sure every kid on that field plays D1 college. The international game really needs a shot clock though. Luckily we have Naso from Duke winning every one otherwise Canada would be a tough out. Even so the game comes to a snails pace without the clock.

Both of the younger Kirst bros are on the squad, as well.

Some positive quotes from the Team Canada coach about Scott in the IL article (pregame). Two Canadian grandparents answered a question I had.

Reactions: Caliknight
Definitely some high praise from Canada's coach. Watching Ross play, I think he may have gotten a little quicker amazingly. That goal he scored you'd miss if if you blinked. He's going to be a really tough cover this year assuming good health.

Same with Knobloch. I am not sure he's at 100% after suffering the injury in the final four but I can't see how he's going to get to the rack whenever he wants. Throw in a healthy Sprock and there are going to be some weapons.

Ross could easily be playing for team USA. I am surprised he isn't on the team actually.

Last edited:
Haudenosaunee 14
England 3

That's going to be strong competition.

Ross Scott lighting up Australia. Ross is clearly Canada's best offensive weapon. If he can stay healthy he's going to have a monster year. His vision is getting better and so is his outside shooting. He continue to evolve.

Keep an Australia's Baker. He's their best player. Curious to see how he plays.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Knobloch just had a ridiculous diving goal against the Native team.

Wouldn't be surprised to see that on ESPN Top 10.

Reactions: mattkamish
Much wider. Australia, and to a lesser extent England, used to at least be competitive.

It's sad to see what happened to lacrosse in Australia. Their official sports agency stopped funding the sport so now it's all done locally to nowhere near the degree it once was.

It's a shame. When I lived their I saw tons of guys that were good enough to have played in college. The National Championship team I played on could have easily competed with the very best in college.

Now I doubt that is the case. America has been evolving even more while Australia has been declining. Really too bad. There are tons of great athletes in that country and they are completely sports crazed.

One nation you'd buy stock in is Japan. They are focused and organized and you are starting to see results now.

Much wider. Australia, and to a lesser extent England, used to at least be competitive.

It's sad to see what happened to lacrosse in Australia. Their official sports agency stopped funding the sport so now it's all done locally to nowhere near the degree it once was.

It's a shame. When I lived their I saw tons of guys that were good enough to have played in college. The National Championship team I played on could have easily competed with the very best in college.

Now I doubt that is the case. America has been evolving even more while Australia has been declining. Really too bad. There are tons of great athletes in that country and they are completely sports crazed.

One nation you'd buy stock in is Japan. They are focused and organized and you are starting to see results now.

Did Wales always have a separate team? That may be part of it.

US laying one Puerto Rico after a slow start.

There is such a delta between some of these teams and the USA/Canada.

Puerto Rico tried going to a zone and the US has way too many shooters to do that. It's become target practice.

Gotta give a shoutout to Georgetown middie Bundy. He's the real deal. Between him and Knobloch, they are the best middies in the world at this age.

Reactions: gef21
Rutgers guys showing well. In addition to Knobloch, Ross Scott went for 7 points in their quarterfinal match up with Ireland, and incoming transfer Mitchell Baker went for 4 points in Australia's win over Japan.

Congrats to USA and Shane Knobloch. He had an incredible tournament as did Ross Scott.

Would not be surprised to see Knobloch playing for the senior team at some point. He and Bundy are clearly our two best middies at this age group.

Both are very versatile and Shane has taken another step of maturation as his passing now is something that he’s added to his game.

Kid is a complete middie now. Wait until he’s a little older when he will be even quicker and stronger. Love how he can attack from anywhere on the field with either hand. Bet he spent half his life playing wall ball to develop that level of skill with both hands.

The 3 North American teams dominated but Japan beat England for 5th place. Slowly but surely....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT