ADVERTISEMENT

Under appreciated Christmas Movie appreciation thread

Randal7

All American
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2009
There is a NE regional Christmas movie classic hiding in plain sight that is so good and packs such “inherent truths” punches, and yet gets no recognition from us New Jersey faithful.

That movie is The Ref.

Star studded cast including Dennis Leary and Kevin Spacey, it’s an R rated, put the kids to bed masterpiece of a dysfunctional extended family on Christmas Eve.

TLDR: If you like snarky Christmas humor ala Scrooged you’ll love this movie

Let’s hear some more obscure favorites

the-ref-1994-2.jpg

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Netflix movie Jingle Jangles.

Has Forest Witaker and Keegan Micheal Key.

Best movie/tv surprise of the holiday season last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randal7 and DirtyRU
Going the other way with this but, I remember watching Scrooged in the theater way back when, and not liking it.

So after all these years, I decided to give it another go, but same result, just didn't like it. Actually turned it off at the ghost of christmas present.

Watched it last night.
My long gone father's favorite.

My gosh how we'd roar when Danny Aiello shoos Vinny the Cat because "His body heat is burning a hole in the lawn!"

Will most likely watch it this afternoon at my in-laws and if not surely tonight with my sons.

Going the other way with this but, I remember watching Scrooged in the theater way back when, and not liking it.

So after all these years, I decided to give it another go, but same result, just didn't like it. Actually turned it off at the ghost of christmas present.
Agreed, Scrooged is not very good.

29th Street
5108G5PPWNL.jpg

Danny Aiello's greatest work and according to him before he passed, one of his favorites.
I watched it today with my dad and brothers. Was really great. I nearly cried at the end it was VERY touch and go. Thanks for the recommendation

Reactions: RU-AGK
Did anyone know that Keir Dullea who was in this movie attended Rutgers and was also the lead in 2001 A Space Odyssey

Last edited:
Reactions: TM94goRU
Love Actually. Chick flick, with an all star, ensemble cast. Truth is, there isn't a bad scene in the movie. Mostly light hearted. More amusing than funny. But, there are laugh out loud moments.

Reactions: mikebal9
Reactions: Randal7
8 Bit Christmas- a sleeper 2021 release and if raised in early 80’s it has lots of relevance. Clearly influenced by A Christmas Story. Not the best title for a general audience IMO. Strong performances from Neil Patrick Harris, Steve Zahn, David Cross and the child actors.

My son made me rewatch Christmas Eve and I’m glad he did. It will be on top 5 list of holiday must watches.

8 Bit Christmas- a sleeper 2021 release and if raised in early 80’s it has lots of relevance. Clearly influenced by A Christmas Story. Not the best title for a general audience IMO. Strong performances from Neil Patrick Harris, Steve Zahn, David Cross and the child actors.

My son made me rewatch Christmas Eve and I’m glad he did. It will be on top 5 list of holiday must watches.
I enjoyed that too

ADVERTISEMENT