ADVERTISEMENT

Under the Radar 2017 recruit visiting Rutgers

RU-Choppin-Ohio

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2011
Recently transferred to Roselle Catholic to play his last year. Listed at 6'0", but, doctors expect him to be 6'2".....according to the linked article. Interesting that his dream school is Duke and he wants an offer from them.

Has Offers from schools, Howard, FDU and San Francisco, but, hearing from Michigan, Miami, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Pittsburgh, Oklahoma, UVA, and Boston University have all shown interest in the guard, although no one has extended an offer as of yet.

http://www.theprepinsiders.com/2017-new-jersey-guard-rising-fast-hearing-from-acc-b1g-schools/

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
Believe this is due diligence since he's in the Playaz program and plays at RC also but he's really a SG and is very small in stature. Similar to Myles Mack but doesn't score the ball nearly as well

Pikiell is 6" ?

Him and Roselle Catholic guard Leondre Washington

ClLsLfMXIAIZuMU.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Underdogs88
Not going to get it done with this level recruit. Not impressed so far with our recruiting. Better step it up soon. Pikiels best shot at a good recruiting class is this summer.

Not going to get it done with this level recruit. Not impressed so far with our recruiting. Better step it up soon. Pikiels best shot at a good recruiting class is this summer.

This kid is not a bad point guard. This is how you step it up with recruiting-you open ties at a local school/local coach.

Pikiell is not a god. He is still coaching Rutgers basketball and what came with that. What he will do, is win some 50/50 games this season and compete. Then he will be able to get a couple of recruits.

It is a process. It will move a lot quicker than past coaches.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
This kid is not a bad point guard. This is how you step it up with recruiting-you open ties at a local school/local coach.

Pikiell is not a god. He is still coaching Rutgers basketball and what came with that. What he will do, is win some 50/50 games this season and compete. Then he will be able to get a couple of recruits.

It is a process. It will move a lot quicker than past coaches.
I don't want excuses. Rice landed a top class his first recruiting season with less to sell than we have now. If it doesn't happen this summer it ain't happening. First class MUST be very good for any new coach to succeed.

I don't want excuses. Rice landed a top class his first recruiting season with less to sell than we have now. If it doesn't happen this summer it ain't happening. First class MUST be very good for any new coach to succeed.

Not true. I do not want to hear anything Mike Rice.

Pikiell is a winner. I think he will will win a good number of games this year. We have never had a coach like Pikiell. Give him a year, or just some kind of time. You are from NY/NJ, you are impatient, I get it. Still, we should be kissing the floor we got Pikiell. He is by far the best coach Rutgers has ever landed.

Not true. I do not want to hear anything Mike Rice.

Pikiell is a winner. I think he will will win a good number of games this year. We have never had a coach like Pikiell. Give him a year, or just some kind of time. You are from NY/NJ, you are impatient, I get it. Still, we should be kissing the floor we got Pikiell. He is by far the best coach Rutgers has ever landed.
Interesting. So you think pikiel is that much better than the other Big Ten coaches that he will be able to beat them with inferior talent? Hmmm. We will see how that works out.

Interesting. So you think pikiel is that much better than the other Big Ten coaches that he will be able to beat them with inferior talent? Hmmm. We will see how that works out.

I never compared him to big ten coaching.

Put it this way though- Coaching is coaching. You either like to do it, are passionate about seeing your players improve and have the strategy, or you DO NOT like doing it. There is no hidden formula. Jordan was not into coaching anymore, and I think it showed. Pikiell is into coaching, and I think it shows.

Coaching at Stony Brook is not that big of a leap to a big ten team. Coaching is still coaching. You are either good and passionate at teaching, or you are not.

I am not saying he can't coach. I am sure he is light years better than Jordan but it won't matter at all if we aren't landing top 150 talent. so what year do you expect that to start happening? Let me know what year I can start rooting for that. Because once we start landing multiple top 150 players then a two years AFTER that we can expect to win.

We are going to have two losing seasons to start his tenure. So if you think coming off two losing seasons we are going to start landing top talent in year three?

I am not saying he can't coach. I am sure he is light years better than Jordan but it won't matter at all if we aren't landing top 150 talent. so what year do you expect that to start happening? Let me know what year I can start rooting for that. Because once we start landing multiple top 150 players then a two years AFTER that we can expect to win.

We are going to have two losing seasons to start his tenure. So if you think coming off two losing seasons we are going to start landing top talent in year three?

Who knows what happens this year. There are interesting pieces that might be able to bring us unexpected wins. Variety of lineups for a creative coach.

You can never predict seasons, as there are too many variables. I could give a prediction, but it would be worthless.

I do not expect to be 500+. I just want to see a basketball team compete, as we are Rutgers and that is where the bar is- which is totally acceptable to me. Competition. Close games.

We see that this year. That is when I will be rooting.

I never compared him to big ten coaching.

Put it this way though- Coaching is coaching. You either like to do it, are passionate about seeing your players improve and have the strategy, or you DO NOT like doing it. There is no hidden formula. Jordan was not into coaching anymore, and I think it showed. Pikiell is into coaching, and I think it shows.

Coaching at Stony Brook is not that big of a leap to a big ten team. Coaching is still coaching. You are either good and passionate at teaching, or you are not.

Coaching at Stony Brook is not that big a leap to a B1G team ? Yikes, never thought I would read that on this board.

IMHO Steve Pikeil has a far taller mountain to climb than Gary Waters did when he was hired by RU. Not that I doubt that he can do it, but lets be realistic. RU is the worst job in the B1G right now.

Coaching at Stony Brook is not that big a leap to a B1G team ? Yikes, never thought I would read that on this board.

IMHO Steve Pikeil has a far taller mountain to climb than Gary Waters did when he was hired by RU. Not that I doubt that he can do it, but lets be realistic. RU is the worst job in the B1G right now.

Coaching is coaching. If you do it at the d1 level, it is d1. You either want to coach, or you do not. You are either a great coach, or you are not.

Pikiell has been at this level before. The fact that everyday he has to coach, and he has to recruit in the off months, that is no change for him. At any d1 level, if you want to be successful you either have what it takes or you do not. If you win, more than likely you get recruits. If you lose, you do not.

Pikiell has won. Did you think EJ or Mike Rice were good at at this level?Rice won, but he came from Robert Mason. Was that a big jump?

Maac to the Big East?Big east is pretty damn good. Any team in the big ten would have probably beat us this year. Its coaching. And we have not had a coach like Pikiell in a while.

Initially, Pikiell will recruit the same way he stated that he would recruit....under the radar kids willing to embrace the challenge. Hopefully, the big name recruiters on the staff, Hobbs and Knight can pull a surprise and grab one or two top 100-125 kids for 2017. Previously, Hobbs and Knight were recruiting players to Uconn and Pitt.. It would be very interesting to know how those same recruits view them pushing Rutgers now as a landing spot. My guess....not good.

This program needs some buzz like a great staff ( check), an almost completed state of the art practice facility to make a run at some of the great local 2018 talent.

Last edited:
A head coach that could recruit top tier talent and also excel in player development has been the missing link for Rutgers mens basketball for decades.The won/loss record speaks for itself and has been used by opponents in recruiting battles.Pikiell is now experiencing the same challenges as previous head coaches who were unsuccessful.I have yet to see a top tier recruit step up and say he wants to be a difference maker this year at Rutgers which would really help in attracting other talented players.

Coaching is coaching. If you do it at the d1 level, it is d1. You either want to coach, or you do not. You are either a great coach, or you are not.

Please stop posting this. "You either want to coach or you don't." What the %^%$ does that mean? You are posting nonsense. Bottom line is the big ten is full of head coaches with all better pedigrees than our guy so he better RECRUIT his ass off.

Last edited:

Pikiell has been at this level before. The fact that everyday he has to coach, and he has to recruit in the off months, that is no change for him. At any d1 level, if you want to be successful you either have what it takes or you do not. If you win, more than likely you get recruits. If you lose, you do not.

Pikiell has won. Did you think EJ or Mike Rice were good at at this level?Rice won, but he came from Robert Mason. Was that a big jump?

Maac to the Big East?Big east is pretty damn good. Any team in the big ten would have probably beat us this year. Its coaching. And we have not had a coach like Pikiell in a while.

I believe that you meant to say Robert Morris and not Robert Mason.

And were Mike Rice or Eddie Jordan successful at RU ?

Listen, as a long time RU MBB fan I am all in on Steve Pikeil and give him great respect as the potential savior for RU MBB. But would I bet next months rent on Steve being the guy to turn around the program ? Sorry but no.

But I am all in on Steve Pikeil and think he may be our best MBB coach since Bill Foster. But the proof of that will be on the court not on a message board.

We have enjoyed enough of the last 15-20 years to know that, the only reasonable success has been under the radar recruiting and finding the right fits for RU. RU hasn't lacked talent as much as it lacks a culture of how they want to approach the basketball program.

I can only tell fans that there is not a lack of recruiting because RU's reputation is pretty solid if you travel away from the tri-state area. There isn't going to be a lack of NJ recruits, but to think RU is going to build it's programs on the basis of recruiting 4-5 stars is going to be disappointed.

RU is taking an approach of fixing the program which means you have to change the culture and Pikiell's presser emphasized defense and rebounding. If the recruit doesn't fit that profile or shows a willingness to at least try to be defender, he's not going to earn a ship from RU. That doesn't mean RU won't be named in some recruiting services for kids locally that are talented, but the harsh reality is that you cannot win consistently in basketball without getting stops on defense.

I believe that you meant to say Robert Morris and not Robert Mason.

And were Mike Rice or Eddie Jordan successful at RU ?

Listen, as a long time RU MBB fan I am all in on Steve Pikeil and give him great respect as the potential savior for RU MBB. But would I bet next months rent on Steve being the guy to turn around the program ? Sorry but no.

But I am all in on Steve Pikeil and think he may be our best MBB coach since Bill Foster. But the proof of that will be on the court not on a message board.

No, they werent successful. Consistency has to be mentioned in the language of success. Mike Rice had some good records, but he hurt Rutgers more than he helped.

Jordan, a coach who it was clear was not into coaching, and it showed. Never go NBA to D1.

Please stop posting this. "You either want to coach or you don't." What the %^%$ does that mean? You are posting nonsense. Bottom line is the big ten is full of head coaches with all better pedigrees than our guy so he better RECRUIT his ass off.

What does it mean?Do you follow the sport or know anything about it?Why do I have to explain what coaching is?

He is recruiting his ass off. We have been seen more on the recruiting trail than we have in the past five years, maybe more.

Any more requirements you have?I hope Pikiell has everything that you want.

Reactions: drewbagel423
Do you follow Rutgers basketball? Pikiell is doing a great job.

Ill look for your outline in what posters can and cannot comment on. I want to make sure I play by your rules.

"Never go NBA to D-1 "

Kentucky , Louisville and SMU would disagree with that.

As most things in life there is no one way to do everything .

This could also be a strategic move by Pikiell. He has Bullock, who played with Rafus last year. He is going after Washington, who will be the starting PG at Roselle Catholic playing alongside Rafus. Andre Rafus has Rutgers in his top 12.

Would be great for the Asst Coach/Recruiting Coordinator, Brandin Knight to help develope a little pipeline to RC players. Add in the fact that Pikiell already has the great relationship with the Roselle Catholic coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
What does it mean?Do you follow the sport or know anything about it?Why do I have to explain what coaching is?

He is recruiting his ass off. We have been seen more on the recruiting trail than we have in the past five years, maybe more.

Any more requirements you have?I hope Pikiell has everything that you want.

Forget Jordan. He was terrible. Every other coach wants this BAD. They are ALL working hard. I don't care if Pikiel is working hard. That is expected and the bare minimum. I care who we land. Your line of you either want to coach or you don't doesn't apply to anyone really other than Jordan. They all want to coach. If beating Jordan is the expectation then yes Pikiel has done it. I support coach. I want him to win. I will believe in him more when we start landing top recruits. End of discussion. If you think he will win with under the radar guys by out coaching other big ten coaches then that is your position. We agree to disagree.

Forget Jordan. He was terrible. Every other coach wants this BAD. They are ALL working hard. I don't care if Pikiel is working hard. That is expected and the bare minimum. I care who we land. Your line of you either want to coach or you don't doesn't apply to anyone really other than Jordan. They all want to coach. If beating Jordan is the expectation then yes Pikiel has done it. I support coach. I want him to win. I will believe in him more when we start landing top recruits. End of discussion. If you think he will win with under the radar guys by out coaching other big ten coaches then that is your position. We agree to disagree.

Jameel Warney was an under the radar recruit. If you put him in the B1G he is big time player in that league or any other league in America.

"Never go NBA to D-1 "

Kentucky , Louisville and SMU would disagree with that.

As most things in life there is no one way to do everything .

SMU?Larry brown-didnt the program almost get shut down?

You are right,though.

Do we have to hear this bullshit through pikiell's first year on the job? Get over yourself. Our program sucks. It's one of the worst in the country and we won't just turn it around year one. Deal with it.

This could also be a strategic move by Pikiell. He has Bullock, who played with Rafus last year. He is going after Washington, who will be the starting PG at Roselle Catholic playing alongside Rafus. Andre Rafus has Rutgers in his top 12.

Would be great for the Asst Coach/Recruiting Coordinator, Brandin Knight to help develope a little pipeline to RC players. Add in the fact that Pikiell already has the great relationship with the Roselle Catholic coach.
I wouldn't hold my breath on Rafus coming to Rutgers regardless of any other players or coaching relationships with Roselle Catholic. Rafus is a Baltimore kid and getting elite Baltimore kids to come to your school requires creative recruiting. Syracuse, for example was pretty creative with Baltimore kids. Many schools just aren't creative enough.

Also I believe Rafus has a top 15 not top 12 and Louisville just jumped in the mix. He plans to visit Kansas and NC State in the near future. Also, Kansas, Kentucky, TCU and NC State are the schools standing out to him according to reports.

All the above being said, we have yet to land a really good player, recruiting is in early stage but not exactly taking off either.

He is walking into what Schiano walked into on the football field. Very little in the program, nothing in the cupboard and no juice to attract a culture changer. Give him some wiggle room.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Rafus coming to Rutgers regardless of any other players or coaching relationships with Roselle Catholic. Rafus is a Baltimore kid and getting elite Baltimore kids to come to your school requires creative recruiting. Syracuse, for example was pretty creative with Baltimore kids. Many schools just aren't creative enough.

Also I believe Rafus has a top 15 not top 12 and Louisville just jumped in the mix. He plans to visit Kansas and NC State in the near future. Also, Kansas, Kentucky, TCU and NC State are the schools standing out to him according to reports.

@Russ Wood Creative ? What is that code for...cheat.

If its not cheating, I'm pretty sure a few guys that learned from and recruitied under Jim Calhoun know how to be creative.

Last edited:
Do we have to hear this bullshit through pikiell's first year on the job? Get over yourself. Our program sucks. It's one of the worst in the country and we won't just turn it around year one. Deal with it.
who is asking to turn it around in one year? Typically the best recruiting year for a new coach is his first year when taking over a crappy program. Not asking for miracles. Just asking to recruit and land big ten recruits. If that is too much to ask well then I am not sure what we are even bothering for. No need "to get over myself". Not even sure what that means in this context. But please continue.

ADVERTISEMENT