ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE on NCAA Eligibility Status for Winter/Spring

They should let the students who HAVE a year available apply for the RS (Guys like Aragona, Aaron Brooks...etc...)

Wonder what they're going to do about the Olympic redshirt wrestlers now that they've been moved to 2021. I guess everyone who used an Olympic redshirt this year get's one next year as well. Could mean Suriano if not already gone, won't be back again next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Wonder what they're going to do about the Olympics now that they've been moved to 2021. I guess everyone who used an Olympic redshirt this year get's one next year as well. Could mean Suriano if not already gone, won't be back again next year.

That will be an interesting quandary. Does the NCAA have guidelines on how often or how many times one can take an OR? It would be nice for those allowed a second consecutive year, but on the flip side, wrestlers who are not true Olympic candidates will use it to their advantage to gain another year of experience and physical/mental maturity. That in itself put the wrestlers who didnt RS x 2 at a competitive disadvantage. Kolodzik (if granted an exclusion) might be 31 years old with 12 years of collegiate experience by the time he graduates with baccalaureate/medical doctor degrees, and completed a fellowship in neurosurgery!

Reactions: koleszar
Wonder what they're going to do about the Olympic redshirt wrestlers now that they've been moved to 2021. I guess everyone who used an Olympic redshirt this year get's one next year as well. Could mean Suriano if not already gone, won't be back again next year.
I would think this would heavily depend on how national teams go about qualifiers.

And maybe this is a dumb question, but is there anything stopping the wrestlers from not enrolling in school, therefore being ineligible to wrestle, only to come back in the future with their eligibility? I imagine it would alter scholarships but is a redshirt a necessity to maintain college eligibility?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I would think this would heavily depend on how national teams go about qualifiers.

And maybe this is a dumb question, but is there anything stopping the wrestlers from not enrolling in school, therefore being ineligible to wrestle, only to come back in the future with their eligibility? I imagine it would alter scholarships but is a redshirt a necessity to maintain college eligibility?

You can do that BUT, once you enroll in college your 5 year clock starts, so not enrolling in school does not stop the clock(this is what a lot of IVY wrestlers do, since you cannot redshirt in the Ivies).

I believe you have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility whether you take redshirt or drop out.

I believe you have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility whether you take redshirt or drop out.
I didn’t realize that. Thanks.

I would imagine the answer is simple, though the NCAA always finds a way to pick the wrong answer.

Simple solution would be to allow anyone who has to double Olympic redshirt to be permitted an additional year via a waiver. We see 6th year seniors across many sports all the time, I guess the issue here is you’d have someone like Micic becoming an unprecedented 7th year senior but I mean it’s not his fault a global pandemic wiped out everything in the sports world for a year.

Actually Micic upon his return would be an 8th year senior

2015 regular redshirt
2016 medical redshirt
2017 4th place
2018 2nd place
2019 3rd place
2020 Olympic redshirt/coronavirus
2021 possible 2nd Olympic redshirt
2022 8th year senior

I imagine they’d be calling him Doctor Stevan Micic at that point

I didn’t realize that. Thanks.

I would imagine the answer is simple, though the NCAA always finds a way to pick the wrong answer.

Simple solution would be to allow anyone who has to double Olympic redshirt to be permitted an additional year via a waiver. We see 6th year seniors across many sports all the time, I guess the issue here is you’d have someone like Micic becoming an unprecedented 7th year senior but I mean it’s not his fault a global pandemic wiped out everything in the sports world for a year.
Given that this is an unprecedented situation I would hope the NCAA would grant an additional olympic redshirt year for next year without athletes having to give up a year of eligibility.

Plus, how many wrestlers took Olympic redshirts? I don't really know but I'm guessing 15-18?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT