162 Kansas State
172 LSU
179 Washington State
187 Louisville
196 Mississippi State
213 Texas Tech
249 West Virginia

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Did USNWR release new rankings today or is this just a consolidation?

Rutgers US News Rankings 1996-2022

1996 #45, #12 public
1998 #16 public
2000 #22 public
2001 #24 public
2004 #60
2005 #58
2006 #60
2007 #60
2008 #59
2009 #64
2010 #66
2011 #64
2012 #68, #24 public
2013 #68
2014 #69, #25 public
2015 #70
2016 #72
2017 #70
2018 #69, #25 public
2019 #56, #17 public, #5 B1G
2020 #62, #22 public, #8 B1G
2021 #63, #23 public, #8 B1G
2022 #63, #23 public, #8 B1G

As always, if anyone has the data to fill in some of the blanks, please feel free.

We're not behind Cuse, Maryland, Lehigh, or Northeastern academically, or tied with UConn academically. Northeastern being #49 is the biggest load of shit out there.

Last edited:
We're not behind Cuse, Maryland, Lehigh, or Northeastern academically, or tied with UConn academically. Northeastern being #49 is the biggest load of shit out there.
I have done deep dives on this for many years and as in sports,you are what your record is. Without giving all of my numerous findings,class size,the paucity of alumni giving and the academic reputation of Rutgers among the eastern elite Provosts and Presidents have yet again done Rutgers in. It saddens me because I do countless college fairs in New England on behalf of Rutgers and US News is the proverbial bible. Northeastern has worked the criteria with a consultant and it has paid off. UConn can't hold on to a President and can't hold an academic candle to Rutgers but it has a strong perception. I continue to try to make a substantive difference here but it is tough sledding.

I have done deep dives on this for many years and as in sports,you are what your record is. Without giving all of my numerous findings,class size,the paucity of alumni giving and the academic reputation of Rutgers among the eastern elite Provosts and Presidents have yet again done Rutgers in. It saddens me because I do countless college fairs in New England on behalf of Rutgers and US News is the proverbial bible. Northeastern has worked the criteria with a consultant and it has paid off. UConn can't hold on to a President and can't hold an academic candle to Rutgers but it has a strong perception. I continue to try to make a substantive difference here but it is tough sledding.
What does Northeastern excel in? Name one thing. The co-op can't be their only selling point.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

What does Northeastern excel in? Name one thing. The co-op can't be their only selling point.
They excel at playing the game well.

Would be nice if we could figure out how to crack the top 50 again.

Excels at being located in Boston, lol....that's all I got.

It might be enough to help sell the school, in truth. Not sure their campus is much to speak of but the town is what must help sell it to some. Not sure I believe the substance matches the marketing, esp. at the full boat prices they're charging.

US News (2022) undergraduate ranking of all P-5 Universities:

6 Standford
9 Duke
9 Northwestern
14 Vanderbilt
19 Notre Dame
20 UCLA
22 Cal-Berkeley
23 Michigan
25 Virginia
27 USC
28 North Carolina
28 Wake Forest
28 Florida
36 Boston College
38 Georgia Tech
38 Texas
42 Wisconsin
47 Illinois
48 Georgia
49 Ohio State
49 Purdue
55 Miami
55 Florida State
59 Pitt
59 Syracuse
59 Maryland
59 Washington
63 Rutgers
63 Penn State
68 Minnesota
68 Indiana
68 Texas a&m
75 Clemson
75 Virginia Tech
75 Baylor
79 NC State
83 Iowa
83 TCU
83 Michigan State
99 Colorado
103 Arizona
103 Tennessee
117 Arizona State
117 South Carolina
122 Missouri
122 Iowa State
122 Kansas
127 Kentucky
127 Oklahoma
136 Nebraska
148 Alabama
148 Mississippi
162 Oregan State
162 Arkansas
162 Kansas State
172 LSU
179 Washington State
187 Louisville
196 Mississippi State
213 Texas Tech
249 West Virginia

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Missing a few P5s, though I doubt any of them are Top 75, maybe even not Top 100:

Oregon
Auburn
Oklahoma State
Utah

What happens in this rankings is we're "behind" the aforementioned like .0001 in some metric.

Generally I'd consider Cuse/Maryland/Lehigh peer schools.

Northeastern and FSU (55 lol) are clearly gaming things.

Florida at 28 is also a stretch.

My guess is UF and FSU draw a lot of OOS applicants but then they take mostly Florida kids and it drives the numbers up. Also their tuition for even OOS students is pretty low which probably helps in the metrics.

If USNWR is the Bible for undergrad (which I never heard- law and med school, yes) then I struggle to understand how any NJ parent justifies paying for the Cult or Delaware, never mind new Shop Rite line faves like USCe and Alabama.

They're literally paying 80k more for a lesser education.

If USNWR is the Bible for undergrad (which I never heard- law and med school, yes) then I struggle to understand how any NJ parent justifies paying for the Cult or Delaware, never mind new Shop Rite line faves like USCe and Alabama.

They're literally paying 80k more for a lesser education.
Just ego which is stupid as hell. You pay $40K OOS for elite publics like Michigan, UCLA, UVA, Cal-Berkeley, or UNC, not schools equal to or inferior to RU like PSU, Delaware, UConn, Maryland, etc., let alone Bama, or Clemson because their football team wins. That's just asinine and setting your kids up for failure by putting them six figures in debt after they graduate.

Just ego which is stupid as hell. You pay $40K OOS for elite publics like Michigan, UCLA, UVA, Cal-Berkeley, or UNC, not schools equal to or inferior to RU like PSU, Delaware, UConn, Maryland, etc., let alone Bama, or Clemson because their football team wins. That's just asinine and setting your kids up for failure by putting them six figures in debt after they graduate.

lol yeah. Looks like Clemson saw a big decline and their gaming no longer works.

I agree also that those 5 are generally the elite publics. Maybe GT and William and Mary as well. Otherwise I would not $.

I could see bucking up for one of those OOS schools if your kid gets rejected from RU, which is happening increasingly, over say a Rowan or something. But if they get in it makes no sense.

Reactions: bigmatt718
They jumped 40 spots since 2015. Must be all the research papers. I did notice several southern schools jump in ranking including UF, Georgia and others. Is there something demographically happening? Population migration raising gpa and sat scores?

Rutgers acceptance rate is 60% vs FSU at 36%.
3.73 vs 4.07 GPA
1300 vs 1270 Sat

Rutgers acceptance rate is 60% vs FSU at 36%.
3.73 vs 4.07 GPA
1300 vs 1270 Sat

My guess is:

- Lower % accepted (which is just fueled by a lot of applications)

- Very cheap both in state, and for the FL schools OOS

- My guess is GA and FL schools rank very high in diversity. Maybe not on our level, but close, considering both like NJ are only about half white

I don't understand why RU doesn't do a blitz in wealthy suburbs in PA/NY/CT to drum up applications. RU is closer to Bucks or Westchester than the Cult or Binghamton respectively. Also, in the case of the PA schools, their in state tuition is pretty expensive and RU wouldn't be that much of a jump for their Shop Rite line types.

I also wonder why RU doesn't do a "compact" with the NY the way the New England schools do, or MN and WI do, where there is some discount for NY students that go to RU. Would probably benefit us a lot if wealthy parents on LI, Westchester and in NYC saw us as an option.

My guess is:

- Lower % accepted (which is just fueled by a lot of applications)

- Very cheap both in state, and for the FL schools OOS

- My guess is GA and FL schools rank very high in diversity. Maybe not on our level, but close, considering both like NJ are only about half white

I don't understand why RU doesn't do a blitz in wealthy suburbs in PA/NY/CT to drum up applications. RU is closer to Bucks or Westchester than the Cult or Binghamton respectively. Also, in the case of the PA schools, their in state tuition is pretty expensive and RU wouldn't be that much of a jump for their Shop Rite line types.

I also wonder why RU doesn't do a "compact" with the NY the way the New England schools do, or MN and WI do, where there is some discount for NY students that go to RU. Would probably benefit us a lot if wealthy parents on LI, Westchester and in NYC saw us as an option.
That's a good point. RU really should try to get a foot in the door more in the Philly suburbs, Long Island, Westchester County, eastern CT, etc. Most Philly area suburbs in PA are only an hour away from RU as opposed to 4 hours away from Culty Valley. Maybe like you said, issue a discount on OOS tuition to kids in PA/NY/CT/DE to go to RU.

If FSU's acceptance rate is that low, they are getting every warm body to apply, even beyond the spike associated with standardized testing waiver for COVID causing app numbers to rise, and they probably waived their application fee for many.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Frankly does Villanova or Lehigh. To me they're still regional universities not national research powerhouses.
Nova has obviously made a very intentional move (after a couple national championships in hoops) to get USNWR to classify them as a National in this most recent ranking cycle. And they got themselves into a Top 50 position (#49) at that. To be fair, NJIT also became elevated to the National category for the past couple ranking cycles.

Nova usually topped the Regional-North ranking in prior years, where Rutgers-Camden has resided as well. Whereas Lehigh has always been classified by USNWR in the National category going back to 80s/90s.

Nova has obviously made a very intentional move (after a couple national championships in hoops) to get USNWR to classify them as a National in this most recent ranking cycle. And they got themselves into a Top 50 position (#49) at that. To be fair, NJIT also became elevated to the National category for the past couple ranking cycles.

Nova usually topped the Regional-North ranking in prior years, where Rutgers-Camden has resided as well. Whereas Lehigh has always been classified by USNWR in the National category going back to 80s/90s.
Nova to me will always be a safety school for rich North Jersey/Long Island Catholic kids who weren't smart enough to get into one of the Ivies, Notre Dame, Boston College, or Georgetown.

Reactions: RU MAN

Tex, Lehigh was not in the rankings if I recall back in the 80's and 90's, but only in the last 5-7 years. The irony of all this, is back when USNWR first came out with their dubious rankings, Rutgers was around 38 in the rankings.

If FSU's acceptance rate is that low, they are getting every warm body to apply, even beyond the spike associated with standardized testing waiver for COVID causing app numbers to rise, and they probably waived their application fee for many.
I was surprised to learn that Rutgers average GPA was a 3.73. Is that without upgrading AP A's from 4.0 to 5.0. My son, going into his senior year in college, graduated HS with a 4.2 GPA. I wonder if FSU is doing a similar thing to make sure their GPA is elevated.

I was surprised to learn that Rutgers average GPA was a 3.73. Is that without upgrading AP A's from 4.0 to 5.0. My son, going into his senior year in college, graduated HS with a 4.2 GPA. I wonder if FSU is doing a similar thing to make sure their GPA is elevated.
Wonder how squishy these categories are. Cant see how RU has an acceptance rate 50% above FSU.
Northeasterns example of gaming the system has paid off for them. Now that they are in the top 50, all they need to do is stay there. Decade plus of gaming. Who cares?

I would think it's a weighted GPA for honors/AP otherwise an unweighted average of 3.73 would be impressively high for a public university. FSU reporting a weighted GPA greater than 4 is pretty high but unbelievable. Does a sizable majority of their admitted students take honors gym and honors wood shop in high school too?

Tex, Lehigh was not in the rankings if I recall back in the 80's and 90's, but only in the last 5-7 years. The irony of all this, is back when USNWR first came out with their dubious rankings, Rutgers was around 38 in the rankings.
Lehigh was definitely in the National U rankings for USNWR since the 90s as two of their alums as well as myself and another Rutgers alum comprised the recruit class for the company the 4 of us started working at upon graduation and the bulletin board at the office had a copy of the rankings posted on the wall with the rows highlighted for both schools. IIRC, Lehigh was somewhere in the 30s and Rutgers-NB was in the 40s.

Tex, we were ranked higher. I will go with your and your cohorts memory. I remember Lehigh being more regionally ranked, but maybe I'm thinking 80's.

I would think it's a weighted GPA for honors/AP otherwise an unweighted average of 3.73 would be impressively high for a public university. FSU reporting a weighted GPA greater than 4 is pretty high but unbelievable. Does a sizable majority of their admitted students take honors gym and honors wood shop in high school too?
Also, regarding unweighted, a 3.73 is actually par for the course these days at many high level public universities especially in California. My son's weighted was 4.2 as I mentioned previously and I believe his unweighted was somewhere near a 3.85.

Frankly does Villanova or Lehigh. To me they're still regional universities not national research powerhouses.
Just a reminder these rankings are for a schools UNDERGRADUATE programs.

US News has another ranking for Graduate Programs which usually comes out in March.

The other US News ranking is called "Americas Best Graduate Schools".

In that ranking a schools Research Strength is taken into account and schools like Villanova and Lehigh ranking will be reduced.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Also, regarding unweighted, a 3.73 is actually par for the course these days at many high level public universities especially in California. My son's weighted was 4.2 as I mentioned previously and I believe his unweighted was somewhere near a 3.85.

My guess is they must recalibrate. For example my HS IIRC was on a scale where 4.6 was A+ and say you got an A+ in an AP or Honors course it would count as a 5.6.

When I applied to law school, my RU GPA was also reweighted because RU doesn't use minus grades. While a B+ at RU was 3.5 in the national scale it was 3.3. That is actually another great reason to go to RU that no one realizes, lol. Where as 90 average at some schools would be a 3.67 at RU it's a 4.0.

ADVERTISEMENT