ADVERTISEMENT

US Open Wrestling Tournament

I am hoping to catch some matches tomorrow.
Thank you for the link.
I did not realize RU had that many wrestlers going to be there.

I read on Flo that JoJo should be seeded even thou he has almost no free style experience. I am interested in seeing him and Kyle Lightner wrestle.
Kyle is wrestling at 97 kg (About 213 lbs)
What weight is going to be for us?
Seems light.

Lightner’s a heavy, yes needs to get much bigger to be competitive. Another one of those tweeners where a 220 weight class would be ideal.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Just saw Dayton Fix shoot more in 15 seconds than he did in both Suriano matches combined. Why isn't he this aggressive in Folk Style. He was very impressive.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Is The RAC big enough to hold a tournament like this? If not, has Rutgers ever put in a bid to hold it in Trenton or Newark ?

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Little worried about Aguilar's trajectory. Watched his match and I was not impressed. Think he's hitting a ceiling as far as ability.Still not counting Metzler out.

I was surprised Nic was wrestling Senior Freestyle, not Junior Freestyle. Is he older than Metzlars?

RU volunteer assistant coach Brian Murphy won his 1st match-up 4-1 against Dan Vallimont

That was a tight match. Ref awarded a push out to Vallimont to make it 2-2 with 34 seconds left. Brick was tossed and ruling overturned. Vallimont had a desperation attempt for a TD in the closing seconds and Murphy covered for 2.

Very hard to follow opening rounds of US Open.
Matches can be over in a minute.
If you take a bathroom break, you might miss 3 matches.
A lot of 10-0 matches
(My first attempt to watch the US Open and major freestyle tourney)

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Vito leads 6-4 after 1
great match

D. Fix outlasts VIto (He tired, had a tough last match) and wins 18-8

Last edited:
Aguilar loses his wrestleback 10-0

Lipari loses his wrestleback to M. Marion 14-5

RU Alum Eleazar DeLuca (72 kg) finishes in 8th place in Greco Roman

Last edited:
Aguilar loses his wrestleback 10-0

Lipari loses his wrestleback to M. Marion 14-5

Ugh, not a promising showing for either of them especially Aguilar who didn't score a single point in two matches.. and his wrestle-back opponent wasn't a very good one either.

Ugh, not a promising showing for either of them especially Aguilar who didn't score a single point in two matches.. and his wrestle-back opponent wasn't a very good one either.

I'm not going to comment as I don't know their wrestleback opponents well, and not sure if this first time for both wrestling FS, and if they had the option of wrestling in the junior division. At least they went and competed, the experience can only help, I would hope.

Reactions: R U Crazy
I'm not going to comment as I don't know their wrestleback opponents well, and not sure if this first time for both wrestling FS, and if they had the option of wrestling in the junior division. At least they went and competed, the experience can only help, I would hope.

I can respect that.

To be fair, I don't know much regarding either of their FS experience but at least Lipari lost to Zein, who is a world class opponent and has teched everyone thus far and Montell Marion who was a stud/2x NCAA finalist as well.

Last edited:
I am more excited to see Jo Jo, Billy J. and Kyle L. this round.
Added plus seeing Metzlar and Robinson.

6PM start for Juniors?

Reactions: MS-RU
6 p.m. –11:30 p.m.: UWW Junior's Freestyle Preliminaries & Consolation
6 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.: Senior Men's Freestyle Consolation Rds 4-5
8 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.: Senior Men's Freestyle Semifinals
10 p.m. – 12 a.m.: Senior Men's Greco-Roman Finals

Reactions: R U Crazy
Metzlar is in the hole Mat 11
Hopefully their camera starts working soon

And it is working!!!!!

Metzlar down 5-0 at break...
Metzlars loses 7-3

Opponent seemed more experienced at freestyle.

Aragona up 8-0 at break.... (Should have been given 2 for exposure late in round)

Jo Jo techs 10-0, first win for RU Wrestler (I think Mario mason may have won a bout)

Reactions: MS-RU
Saw Luke Kememer wrestling for Pittsburgh Wrestling club...Is that Iowa's Kememer Brother?

Possible QTR between Real Woods and Jo Jo

That will be a HUGE test.
Real had a very good RS year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT