ADVERTISEMENT

USC bans tailgating at game vs Rutgers

Roadtrips across the country should not be for tailgating IMO. It’s to seek out a great place to eat and drink then park in the lot next to the stadium and walk in.

A part of every road trip I have taken is to not just experience the game but to experience interacting with local fans & partaking in their tailgates & pre-game rituals. Missing out on even just walking thru their tailgates is a let down.

A part of every road trip I have taken is to not just experience the game but to experience interacting with local fans & partaking in their tailgates & pre-game rituals. Missing out on even just walking thru their tailgates is a let down.
For me that’s this weekend at a place that’s very conducive for that like VA Tech. Los Angeles with there many great choices of internacional cuisine a 15 min drive from the stadium wife and I have zero interest in that. We will hit a Michelin rated Mexican restaurant on the way in. To us that is what traveling is all about. Not finding that in Blacksburg or Lincoln.

For me that’s this weekend at a place that’s very conducive for that like VA Tech. Los Angeles with there many great choices of internacional cuisine a 15 min drive from the stadium wife and I have zero interest in that. We will hit a Michelin rated Mexican restaurant on the way in. To us that is what traveling is all about. Not finding that in Blacksburg or Lincoln.

I can go to restaurants anywhere. When I travel for football I want a full football experience.
Mr Screw & I are doing a road trip after the game ending up flying home from Dallas the next Saturday so we'll have loads of restaurant opportunities as we cross the South

I can go to restaurants anywhere. When I travel for football I want a full football experience.
Mr Screw & I are doing a road trip after the game ending up flying home from Dallas the next Saturday so we'll have loads of restaurant opportunities as we cross the South
This board would have to be shut down if such a thing happened for a Rutgers game. Just paid for the pre-game tailgate for USC, does that mean we get a refund?

You’re not getting Michelin rated restaurants anywhere but absolutely there are restaurants and places to eat all over the country.

This board would have to be shut down if such a thing happened for a Rutgers game. Just paid for the pre-game tailgate for USC, does that mean we get a refund?
They didn’t specify venue, so worst comes to worst, they’ll probably keep the tailgate at the Marriott, which is where they’re having the pregame social.

Agreed. . But the positive is this can be a competitive advantage for us.

Reactions: MrsScrew
Sounds like you're getting a USC experience & fan ritual...just not a positive one.

Roadtrips across the country should not be for tailgating IMO. It’s to seek out a great place to eat and drink then park in the lot next to the stadium and walk in.
Part of the lore and fun of road trips is the tailgating aspect IMO
You get to see their scene, interact with their fans, take in their experience
Some of the best tailgates I've been apart of have come at visiting stadiums

They didn’t specify venue, so worst comes to worst, they’ll probably keep the tailgate at the Marriott, which is where they’re having the pregame social.
That would be dumb, IMO. The JW Marriot Mixing Room is 3 miles away from the LA Coliseum.

And the Google Page for The Mixing Room says: "The Mixing Room is temporarily closed. If that's wrong, please suggest an edit." Wonder if Rutgers knows that and does the Mixing Room plan to be open for the pre-game social?

What a weird rule, what does a school day have to do with tailgating? Are there classes in the parking lot of the stadium? Besides, who has class on a Friday, let alone Friday night?

Reading the USC site it says no tailgating "on campus" I'm assuming the stadium is not considered "on campus"

Funny post you answered coming from one of the biggest idiots on this board who does nothing but berate and mock long time donors and other posters. Stupid has no idea what traveling to a another stadium/venue is all about.
I haven't had my full allotment of caffeine yet, so I had to triple check what I was actually reading before responding to him
Long time donors and fans are the lifeblood of any program - I salute all that are making the trip, and wish I was making it as well

This is an iconic program in a world class city that plays in a historic venue; part of the charm of all of that is tailgating with fans (Rutgers and USC) to take it all in

I've gone to a few school sponsored tailgates, either on the front or back end
I love being with my schools fans in oppositoin territory, but also like tailgating with opposing fans

If it's a few miles away, go for an hour, mingle, talk ball, and bask in CA sun
Then, head over to the Coliseum to continue the festivities

Just a thought, either way I commend all that are making the trip
Definitely will have FOMO seeing the game and reading about it!

I haven't had my full allotment of caffeine yet, so I had to triple check what I was actually reading before responding to him
Long time donors and fans are the lifeblood of any program - I salute all that are making the trip, and wish I was making it as well

This is an iconic program in a world class city that plays in a historic venue; part of the charm of all of that is tailgating with fans (Rutgers and USC) to take it all in
Yup. It would be like having a scheduled trip to play Ole Miss, and Ole Miss shuts down The Grove on the day Rutgers visits.

As usual, Mrs. Screw 100 % spot on.

So what are people doing to do, everyone just shows up 10 minutes before the game and tries to get in? The lots still need to open a few hours before the game to get that many people in, so can probably have a short tailgate.

Is this like at rutgers where they say lots open at a certain time but in reality you can show up whenever you want? Is it more of a cover your rear move but not enforced?

AFAIK from two of my RU graduate kids, Rutgers now conducts exams on the weekends. Does this mean RU should adopt the same to help those with exams study in peace and quiet?

Tailgating is allowed at Exposition Park, where the LA Memorial Coliseum is located. There appears to be a Pink Lot, a Yellow Lot, a Gold Lot, a Green Lot, and a parking garage "Blue Structure".

USC Game Day Parking Guidelines

Tailgating

Tailgating in Exposition Park parking areas is only permitted prior to University of Southern California (USC) home football games. Tailgating in Exposition Park parking areas is intended for event day ticket holders only. All fans and visitors must adhere to the following rules and policies. Please note: parking during USC football games is only permitted by an issued pass. No general admission parking is sold on game days.

Parking areas open five hours prior to the event.

This applies to both vehicles and fans. Please follow the direction of law enforcement and parking attendants at all times. Vehicles cannot stage on or block the flow of traffic on any street prior to the opening of the Exposition Park parking areas.

Tailgating must end 30 minutes after the start of the event.

Fans must put away all equipment, food and tailgating accessories no later than 30 minutes after the start of the event. Exposition Park is not responsible for any lost, damaged or stolen items.

There is no overnight parking.

Overnight parking is not permitted on Exposition Park property. Any vehicles left overnight will be towed and/or cited at owner’s expense.

Lots close 1.5 hours (one hour and a half) after the conclusion of the event.

Fans and their vehicles must exit the parking lots at closing time.

One space per permit

Vehicles are allowed one parking pass and one parking space. Any vehicle taking more than one parking space or parked incorrectly will be subject to tow or citation. All fees associated with the removal and impounding of the vehicle will be the responsibility of the owner. Visitors may not use an additional hangtag for tailgating or additional vehicles space.

Oversized vehicles

Oversized vehicles must obtain a special permit in advance to park onsite during football game days.

All drivers must follow the instructions given by parking attendants. Fans must always follow the directions of the Exposition Park parking team and law enforcement. Vehicles that do not park in a location assigned by a parking team member or law enforcement are subject to tow and/or citation. All fees associated with the removal and impounding of the vehicle will be the responsibility of the owner.

No reserved spaces

Fans that wish to park next to friends must arrive at the parking entrance at the same time, i.e. following one another. Parking spots cannot be reserved or saved for family and/or friends arriving later. Fans are not allowed to rope off or reserve large tailgate areas. Fans may only park in the space they are assigned by the parking team.

Tailgating spaces

Tailgating in parking areas is limited to an 8’ x 8’ area directly in front of or behind the vehicle. Tailgating in empty stalls is strictly prohibited, even with an unused parking pass. Tailgating equipment, such as chairs, tents, propane/ natural gas grills and other items, cannot extend beyond the fire lanes for vehicles or sidewalks.

Tent size and weighting

Fans are permitted to bring up to one (1) 8’ x 8’ shade tent per parking space and must not extend beyond the fire lanes, along sidewalks, walkways or other areas. It is required that all tents be weighted down to prevent movement, over-turning, etc. as a result of weather and or pedestrian traffic. For safety reasons, tents must be taken down before entering the stadium. – ABSOLUTELY NO STAKING OF ANY KIND PERMITTED.

Reactions: gchicago
Tailgating is allowed at Exposition Park, where the LA Memorial Coliseum is located. There appears to be a Pink Lot, a Yellow Lot, a Gold Lot, a Green Lot, and a parking garage "Blue Structure".

Tailgating

Tailgating in Exposition Park parking areas is only permitted prior to University of Southern California (USC) home football games. Tailgating in Exposition Park parking areas is intended for event day ticket holders only. All fans and visitors must adhere to the following rules and policies. Please note: parking during USC football games is only permitted by an issued pass. No general admission parking is sold on game days.

This applies to both vehicles and fans. Please follow the direction of law enforcement and parking attendants at all times. Vehicles cannot stage on or block the flow of traffic on any street prior to the opening of the Exposition Park parking areas.

Fans must put away all equipment, food and tailgating accessories no later than 30 minutes after the start of the event. Exposition Park is not responsible for any lost, damaged or stolen items.

Overnight parking is not permitted on Exposition Park property. Any vehicles left overnight will be towed and/or cited at owner’s expense.

One space per permit

Vehicles are allowed one parking pass and one parking space. Any vehicle taking more than one parking space or parked incorrectly will be subject to tow or citation. All fees associated with the removal and impounding of the vehicle will be the responsibility of the owner. Visitors may not use an additional hangtag for tailgating or additional vehicles space.

Oversized vehicles

Oversized vehicles must obtain a special permit in advance to park onsite during football game days.

All drivers must follow the instructions given by parking attendants. Fans must always follow the directions of the Exposition Park parking team and law enforcement. Vehicles that do not park in a location assigned by a parking team member or law enforcement are subject to tow and/or citation. All fees associated with the removal and impounding of the vehicle will be the responsibility of the owner.

No reserved spaces

Fans that wish to park next to friends must arrive at the parking entrance at the same time, i.e. following one another. Parking spots cannot be reserved or saved for family and/or friends arriving later. Fans are not allowed to rope off or reserve large tailgate areas. Fans may only park in the space they are assigned by the parking team.

Tailgating spaces

Tailgating in parking areas is limited to an 8’ x 8’ area directly in front of or behind the vehicle. Tailgating in empty stalls is strictly prohibited, even with an unused parking pass. Tailgating equipment, such as chairs, tents, propane/ natural gas grills and other items, cannot extend beyond the fire lanes for vehicles or sidewalks.

Tent size and weighting

Fans are permitted to bring up to one (1) 8’ x 8’ shade tent per parking space and must not extend beyond the fire lanes, along sidewalks, walkways or other areas. It is required that all tents be weighted down to prevent movement, over-turning, etc. as a result of weather and or pedestrian traffic. For safety reasons, tents must be taken down before entering the stadium. – ABSOLUTELY NO STAKING OF ANY KIND PERMITTED.

And here you go, from Seat Geek, spot in the Green Tailgate Lot, for $181, and there is one other available for $400:

Tailgating

One space per permit

Oversized vehicles

No reserved spaces

Tailgating spaces

Tent size and weighting

More tailgating info around the Coliseum:

Modelo Ultimate Tailgate near the Coliseum (Free)--food trucks and beverages available for purchase.

usc-trojan-fan-fest.jpg
usc-trojans-football-modelo-ultimate-tailgate.jpg

You can have Revel host a tailgate--$750 for up to 10 people or $3,000 for up to 40 people- that's not bad, $75/person:

Reactions: 4IUSox2

Modelo Ultimate Tailgate near the Coliseum (Free)--food trucks and beverages available for purchase.

usc-trojan-fan-fest.jpg

You can have Revel host a tailgate--$750 for up to 10 people or $3,000 for up to 40 people- that's not bad, $75/person:

Definitely not bad, especially if you chip in to bring all your own stuff regarding beer and food. That’s a good deal.

So the tailgating ban appears to only apply to the on-campus tailgating, which I gather is at least partially scattered among the academic buildings. Maybe like "The Grove" at Ol' Miss?
The off-campus locations (the stadium area, etc) will still have tailgating (I think).

Last edited:
So the tailgating ban appears to only apply to the on-campus tailgating, which I gather is at least partially scattered among the academic buildings. Maybe like "The Grove" at Ol' Miss?
The off-campus locations (the stadium area, etc) will still have tailgating (I think).
Yes, I posted that above.

And here you go, from Seat Geek, spot in the Green Tailgate Lot, for $181, and there is one other available for $400:

usc-trojan-fan-fest.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT