rufancoe00

All Conference
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2005
the 2020 rankings are out.

Rutgers- NB #62
Rutgers- N #132
Rutgers- C #166

Dont have previous years numbers available, but a drop for NB and Newark(?).

I think th his is the first year Camden has been listed as a National University.

Other local schools, NJIT cracks top 100 at #97, Rowan and Montclair tied w Canden at #166

The Regional schools (TCNJ etc, all around their typical slots)

I'm pleasantly surprised that Camden is tied with Rowan, which has a fair amount of prestige (and is a lot better at attracting publicity) in the immediate area. I don't remember last year's #s either.

I just looked up where we ranked with anticipation and am extremely disappointed. It makes no sense for reasons Jim mentioned above. And now we have to sit with this for an entire year.

Rutgers is ranked number 48 in the world which places us 7th in the Big Ten. Rutgers needs to mention this in every piece of literature, websites, student visits,etc. to get the general public aware of our high ranking.Including it in commercials is a must.

Rutgers is ranked number 48 in the world which places us 7th in the Big Ten. Rutgers needs to mention this in every piece of literature, websites, student visits,etc. to get the general public aware of our high ranking.Including it in commercials is a must.
Unfortunately, it’s the US News & World Report ranking that people rely on most, right or wrong. And we dropped in that one whereas the normal schools we’re compared to stayed the same or moved up.

Reactions: retired711
Rutgets56, I understand, but we need to really emphasize being number 48 in the world, regardless of how well known the CWUR is. There are ALOT of parents who spend tons of money on private and out of state public schools who are not even close to number 48. Just my two cents.

Guys, this rag loves controversy. I know, I know, many people turn to this as the 'bible' of college rankings but it's a joke. I don't know if you noticed, but suddenly regional schools like Santa Clara U, Elon, Loyola Marymount, as examples are suddenly 'national universities' this year. That in itself is pathetic and badly skewing the rankings once again. For decades this ranking rag has been out (early 80's) those previously mentioned schools were ALWAYS regionally ranked. AWWAYS.

What, suddenly they're national schools? Suddenly they have a plethora of PhD programs? No, they don't. The USNEWS rankings are nothing but a you know what---tease. The methodology has always been pisspoor and easy to manipulate and Morse, the founder of this garbage, likes to play head games and then justify its meanings.

As Heaven stated, if the World rankings have us at 48 (this methodology is better but still skewed) then as a school, I would accentuate that. Still, it's very bizarre to jump to #56 last year and make that leap, only to have the school go down 6 spots, when as Jim pointed out, we've had the best incoming freshmen classes in memory, the merger of the medical schools, the top flight undergraduate programs, and brand spanking new facilities that are second to none.

Bottom line: after this bizarro rankings wears off in a few weeks, no one will care. As far as I'm concerned, Rutgers was once in the high 30's when I attended, and belongs in at least the top 50. What is Morse going to do next year? Put TCNJ in the national university category like he did with a dozen schools this year? A total joke.

Reactions: RU-ROCS
Northeastern at 40 is a joke

In the B1G

Northwestern #9
Michigan #25
Wisconsin 46
Illinois 48
tOSU 54
Cult 57
Purdue 57
RU 62
Maryland 64
Minnesota 70
Indiana 79
MSU 84
Iowa 84
Nebraska 139

Basically when you take ties into account we most moved down 2 spots

Someone in Florida is cooking the books with UF at 34 and FSU at 57 (does anyone seriously believe that FSU is better than MSU or Iowa, nevermind RU or Maryland?)

Delaware at 91 is going to be a revolution in the Shop Rite Mom crowd. GW at 70 is another mystery. I would not consider Nova at 46 better than GW.

For anyone curious about our old conference, Cuse #54, Pitt #57, UConn #64. Somehow UMass is also 64.

Reactions: Leonard23

In the B1G

Northwestern #9
Michigan #25
Wisconsin 46
Illinois 48
tOSU 54
Cult 57
Purdue 57
RU 62
Maryland 64
Minnesota 70
Indiana 79
MSU 84
Iowa 84
Nebraska 139

Someone in Florida is cooking the books with UF at 34 and FSU at 57 (does anyone seriously believe that FSU is better than MSU or Iowa, nevermind RU or Maryland?)

Delaware at 91 is going to be a revolution in the Shop Rite Mom crowd. GW at 70 is another mystery. I would not consider Nova at 46 better than GW.

For anyone curious about our old conference, Cuse #54, Pitt #57, UConn #64. Somehow UMass is also 64.
FSU????? Really? I saw that. They used to be ranked in the low 80's. Now a year later they're 57? Morse is pathetic.

Oh, and another thing: have you noticed that ANY school at or near the top of the rankings is private? Hmmmm. The highest public university is UCLA now (the people at UC Berkeley are pissed) at #20. That the highest ranked public u. can only get to #20 is a total farce. I'll take UCLA and Berkeley over half of the schools ranked above them. And for graduate school, the aforementioned UC's blow away the majority of the the school above them.

In the B1G

Northwestern #9
Michigan #25
Wisconsin 46
Illinois 48
tOSU 54
Cult 57
Purdue 57
RU 62
Maryland 64
Minnesota 70
Indiana 79
MSU 84
Iowa 84
Nebraska 139

My favorite example of just how bad these rankings are:
https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2014/08/26/how-northeastern-gamed-the-college-rankings/

One thing that's notable in terms of our ranking vs. our actual stats. One thing Chancellor Dutta was working on before he got fired was an improvement in our ranking, because in his words, "They don't accurately reflect much but they do matter because people care, whether we like it or not." We improved under his guidance.

Not sure if Molloy is continuing whatever it was he was doing.

FSU????? Really? I saw that. They used to be ranked in the low 80's. Now a year later they're 57? Morse is pathetic.

Oh, and another thing: have you noticed that ANY school at or near the top of the rankings is private? Hmmmm. The highest public university is UCLA now (the people at UC Berkeley are pissed) at #20. That the highest ranked public u. can only get to #20 is a total farce. I'll take UCLA and Berkeley over half of the schools ranked above them. And for graduate school, the aforementioned UC's blow away the majority of the the school above them.

Agree- there is definitely some anti public school bias caked in.

Reactions: RU MAN
My favorite example of just how bad these rankings are:
https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2014/08/26/how-northeastern-gamed-the-college-rankings/

One thing that's notable in terms of our ranking vs. our actual stats. One thing Chancellor Dutta was working on before he got fired was an improvement in our ranking, because in his words, "They don't accurately reflect much but they do matter because people care, whether we like it or not." We improved under his guidance.

Not sure if Molloy is continuing whatever it was he was doing.

Ironically it may backfire down the line- Clemson and UConn now kind of fell after they recalibrated last year.

Rutgers is horrible at managing this process. The school clearly isn't doing something that other lesser schools are to bolster rankings.

In the B1G

Northwestern #9
Michigan #25
Wisconsin 46
Illinois 48
tOSU 54
Cult 57
Purdue 57
RU 62
Maryland 64
Minnesota 70
Indiana 79
MSU 84
Iowa 84
Nebraska 139

US News details the methodology used in their rankings.
One thing that has changed is they no longer incorporate high school counselor opinions in the ranking.

"The high school counselors opinion survey was not administered and its ranking was dropped from the National Universities and National Liberal Arts college ranking formulas altogether because US News had greater confidence in its peer assessment data."

For comparison purposes I have listed the ACC member schools and the US News Ranking

ACC Conference:

10 Duke
15 Notre Dame
27 Wake Forest
28 Virginia
29 Georgia Tech
29 UNC
37 BC
54 Syracuse
57 PITT
57 Miami
57 FSU
70 Clemson
74 VT
84 NC State
192 UL

Both the B1G and ACC are fine academic and athletic conferences.

By the way WVU came in at 228.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

US News details the methodology used in their rankings.
One thing that has changed is they no longer incorporate high school counselor opinions in the ranking.

"The high school counselors opinion survey was not administered and its ranking was dropped from the National Universities and National Liberal Arts college ranking formulas altogether because US News had greater confidence in its peer assessment data."

For comparison purposes I have listed the ACC member schools and the US News Ranking

ACC Conference:

10 Duke
15 Notre Dame
27 Wake Forest
28 Virginia
29 Georgia Tech
29 UNC
37 BC
54 Syracuse
57 PITT
57 Miami
57 FSU
70 Clemson
74 VT
84 NC State
192 UL

Both the B1G and ACC are fine academic and athletic conferences.

By the way WVU came in at 228.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

They dumped the counselor rating into this year or last?

No way in hell are Northeastern, Nova and Tulane better academically than RU. Tulane is close, but the other 2? Not a chance.

Northeastern is just ridiculous and makes no sense. That place is basically a Drexel equivalent, i.e. both schools in Top 75-100 level. I think TU and VU are realistically in the 50-75 range but not as surprised to see them above RU-NB.

I'm ever more skeptical of rankings. I recently read an article about the safest cities in the world. The rankings had Chicago ahead of New York despite the fact that Chicago has a murder rate 8x that of New York.

Rutgers just needs to play the same game their peers are playing. My kids have a stack of letters from #30-100 schools offering a free application waiver on the common app. All they want is more kids in the denominator to make themselves look exclusive. I’m looking at you Northeastern , Case Western & UConn. Meanwhile Rutgers probably uses application fees to balance the budget.

Just send an email to every kid in the Big 10 West states who takes the SAT offering an application fee waiver, and then either outright reject them, or stick them on a waitlist and see if they show any interest in attending.

UCLA first public at #20 (Sorry Cal)

#9 Northwestern
#25 Michigan
#37 Boston College
#46 Wisconsin
#48 IIllinois
#54 Ohio State
#57 Penn State
#57 Purdue
#62 Rutgers
#64 Maryland
#70 Minnesota
#79 Indiana
#84 Michigan State
#84 Iowa
#139 Nebraska

In the B1G

Northwestern #9
Michigan #25
Wisconsin 46
Illinois 48
tOSU 54
Cult 57
Purdue 57
RU 62
Maryland 64
Minnesota 70
Indiana 79
MSU 84
Iowa 84
Nebraska 139

Very little difference between 54 and 64 which encompasses 5 schools in the middle of the pack in the Big 10. I would say USNWR got the top 3 and the last spot correct for the Big10. After that, not too sure.

Very little difference between 54 and 64 which encompasses 5 schools in the middle of the pack in the Big 10. I would say USNWR got the top 3 and the last spot correct for the Big10. After that, not too sure.

Agreed, the differences can be quite marginal. Also, even though the difference optically is 8 spots and 5 spots respectively, it's only two ranking slots between 54 and 62 (54x3, 57x5) for the overall, as well as only two ranking slots between 17 and 22 (17x1, 18x4) for the public only.

Perception-wise, it was good for RU to be able to market themselves as Top 20 public for the past year, even though that's no longer the case this year. And with 4 schools tied for #18 this year in the public school rankings, then of course the next school(s) will be outside of the top 20 at #22 (Rutgers & U of Washington tied). OSU stayed the same at #17 (which Rutgers and Purdue were tied with last year). PSU, Purdue, Pitt, and FSU(!?!?!?) are the four at #18 this year.

Reactions: RU MAN
Northeastern is just ridiculous and makes no sense. That place is basically a Drexel equivalent, i.e. both schools in Top 75-100 level. I think TU and VU are realistically in the 50-75 range but not as surprised to see them above RU-NB.
If you read the article above in another poster's comments (click on the link) it will tell you how Northeastern gamed the system and how other schools do it too knowing that there is too much reliance on these rankings.

Reactions: rufancoe00
Northeastern is just ridiculous and makes no sense. That place is basically a Drexel equivalent, i.e. both schools in Top 75-100 level.

Lol. That was exactly what I said after touring both. I’m curious how Stevens is gaming the system, because that place has become pretty much where every rich tech kid wants to go.

Reactions: Leonard23
If you read the article above in another poster's comments (click on the link) it will tell you how Northeastern gamed the system and how other schools do it too knowing that there is too much reliance on these rankings.
I seem to recall telling the story about Northeastern last year...

Their president is an alchemist and figured out the algorithm to make it work for the Terriers...without reading the link I believe it will mention class size (always <20), building(s) on campus (cranes mean vertical movement) and the price tag (the higher the better).

Last edited:
I love my nephew and he is a pretty smart kid, but I do not think having Florida 15 spots ahead of Rutgers in the USNews rankings makes any sense at all. Rutgers is closer in my opinion.

Panther, which school do Pitt fans despise more-State Penn or WVU?

No question about it.

Penn State!!!!!

I for the most part don't have any real animosity toward WVU or their fans.
Most WVU fan are pretty normal and not obnoxious.

Although, I would have preferred to continue the series with Penn State (they are the ones who chose to not continue the series-a sell out game with a guaranteed National TV Broadcast) glad we substituted WVU (4 game home/home series) for them which will bring similar benefits.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT