ADVERTISEMENT

UVA transfers out-SF Marial Shayok from Blair Academy and PF Jarred Reuter

NewJerseyHawk

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2007
Shayok is apparently graduating early as a junior and if so, would be immediately eligible for 2017-18....averaged 10PPG and dominate defensive wing player....Can knock down an occasional 3, from Blair Academy here in NJ

Reuter is a 6'7 to 6'8" 235-240 lb sophomore that was highly regarded out of Massachusetts and would have to sit out a season but with more minutes, could easily start for RU in 2018 and would have 2018 & 2019 left to play.

I have no idea of where either player is expected to go, but both announced transfers within the last couple of hours....

Wow! Why would these players transfer I wonder? Shayok wasn't going to start I guess? He's a good player.

One of the UVA blogs stating he may have ability to graduate before end of spring or summer, but perhaps incorrect speculation on their part...on surface, very difficult to graduate in 3 years, but a sit one year to play one last year, would be very tough spot for Shayok, but likely beneficial for whomever has the room and minutes for him in 2018.

Nice player but not good enough imo to tie up a scholarship for two years to get one year of PT.

Nice player but not good enough imo to tie up a scholarship for two years to get one year of PT.

This is a good debate!

I'd say I'd rather have an empty spot and have Shayok vs. a 5th year graduate center that ends up being no better than a 5 we already have.

I still would need to understand why he would leave and what is he looking for. UVA is a great school and he is not a pro. Why is he leaving?

I seem to think we recruited Shayok out of Blair but I might be wrong. I thought his name rang a bell.

This is a good debate!

I'd say I'd rather have an empty spot and have Shayok vs. a 5th year graduate center that ends up being no better than a 5 we already have.

I still would need to understand why he would leave and what is he looking for. UVA is a great school and he is not a pro. Why is he leaving?
Lost his starting position to a younger guy. Plus another forward coming in this class. Doesn't seem as committed to their defense. Kid can score in a variety of ways.

Facilities could play a big part and unfortunately the situation is not in RU's favor here.
Each leaving UVA without controversy, they have many options - one does not go from the Taj Mahal to the outhouse (apologies) by choice.
JPJ is a state of the art arena for a college: 24 hr court access, incredible locker room, training facilities, in-house dining hall and nutritionist, etc,...
The RAC-area situation at this point is too many steps down on the amenities scale.
If either was still in HS it could be possible, but too many other fully invested BB schools that have our future planned amenities already in place.

Facilities could play a big part and unfortunately the situation is not in RU's favor here.
Each leaving UVA without controversy, they have many options - one does not go from the Taj Mahal to the outhouse (apologies) by choice.
JPJ is a state of the art arena for a college: 24 hr court access, incredible locker room, training facilities, in-house dining hall and nutritionist, etc,...
The RAC-area situation at this point is too many steps down on the amenities scale.
If either was still in HS it could be possible, but too many other fully invested BB schools that have our future planned amenities already in place.
You must be new here don't you know facilities don't matter it's all about the coach lol. Poor Pike at this point he is selling blueprints to recruits but eventually maybe that big donor will save us. 30 million short is 30 million short and Pike needs these facilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: biazza38
You must be new here don't you facilities don't matter it's all about the coach lol. Poor Pike at this point he is selling blueprints to recruits but eventually maybe that big donor will save us. 30 million short is 30 million short and Pike needs these facilities.

The 30 million short will not affect the practice facility for hoops but I understand the skepticism.

They have a third player transferring. A mini Revolt at UVA probably over playing time. Darius Thompson, Athletic slasher type who can handle the ball. I think he may qualify as a Graduate Transfer.

You must be new here don't you know facilities don't matter it's all about the coach lol. Poor Pike at this point he is selling blueprints to recruits but eventually maybe that big donor will save us. 30 million short is 30 million short and Pike needs these facilities.
Ground breaking has occurred already and this project is happening, with or without your whining. The cash for this building has already been raised and it will be open in 2019.

Donors are still being recruited for the soccer/lax building - a building that will also open around the same time. The scope is much smaller so it won't take nearly as long to build.

If he graduates in 3 what is the logic of forcing him to sit as a grad transfer?

They have a third player transferring. A mini Revolt at UVA probably over playing time. Darius Thompson, Athletic slasher type who can handle the ball. I think he may qualify as a Graduate Transfer.

I don;t know anything about Virginia except that they are extremely good on the defensive side of the ball. Is it possible that the offense is way too conservative and guys want to play in a more wide open system ?

Do all student athletes get access to everything, including nutritionist?

At UVA all teams/athletes have access to the Sports Nutrition Staff - who are Registered Dieticians - and have the option (highly encouraged) to eat at the JPJ dining room where the staff is based. The staff designs individual meal choices for those with special needs and/or lifestyles.

I'm not sure if, say, MLax/WLax or BB/SB have 24-hour access to their facilities. However, MBB/WBB players have "the keys to the gym" so to speak - all electronic ID/code access to certain areas within JPJ such as their respective practice courts and locker rooms and drink/snack area within. Want to work on your jumper at 11:30 on a Sunday night? Watch film? No problem. Security cameras all over the place too in this ~11 year modern designed-for-basketball on-campus Arena.

Last edited:
If the facilities are all that matters, there would not be almost 800 transfers a year...at some point, once the smoke clears on everything and certain players realize they are a small cog in a wheel, the dreams of the next level go away....UVa can have all the nice things lined up, but if you can't get 30 minutes a night over 30 games, you cannot showcase your ability play at the next level, period.

There are mid-majors that develop players without the bells and whistles everyone seems to think is the only thing that recruits kids....Shayok, Thompson or someone is either going to prove they can score 14PPG and play good defense on a consistent basis so they can get on a radar, or they can start their graduate degree and career in the workforce. RU offers more than enough at the wing for either Shayok/Thompson or any other reasonably talented wing as a one year rental.

We're not asking for a 5 year commitment out of a transfer, just one of two at the most if you are a grad or JUCO transfer......Gettys has already proven in less than 9 months at RU, how playing time, exposure in the B1G and a larger market can do for his potential playing career.....imagine if you are already a name recruit at a larger profile school and land at another Power 5 school on the uptick??

UVa has won games, ACC tournament games, made the Elite 8 and 3 kids transfer within 48 hours of each other....and we still see people talking about facilities....

Add Chase Jeter of Duke to the list of high profile recruits (Top 25 National recruit 2 years ago).....I guess when you can't play at Duke, your next step is ride the pine or get minutes elsewhere....I'm almost certain Jeter will resurface in a year and start putting up better numbers elsewhere....Transfers are the great equalizer for rebuilding programs, programs needing a one year rental, pretty much every program benefits....other schools need to find room for more promising players.

Haven't been to Bing Crosby's alma mater but Butler and Marquette have excellent facilities.

Maybe they would like the opportunity to play in the NCAA tournament before they graduate. $$$$
You're looking at the wrong thread I think... Mariel Shayok is transferring out of Virginia, where he just played in the NCAA tournament.

UVa fan here. Came over to check on Nigel Johnson (he's visiting us this weekend), and found this thread.

Shayok is a good player but painfully inconsistent. He averaged 9 but it wasn't really 9 a game...it was 16 one night and 2 the next. He's also a little overrated as a defender...his +/- was worst on the team. I was surprised he left, but was going to lose minutes to RS FR DeAndre Hunter.

Reuter is very skilled but would be better suited at a mid major. To say he's 6'7 is generous and he's not an explosive athlete. You take him out of a P5 conference, where he's not competing against 6'9/springy bigs, and he could be very effective though.

UVa fan here. Came over to check on Nigel Johnson (he's visiting us this weekend), and found this thread.

Shayok is a good player but painfully inconsistent. He averaged 9 but it wasn't really 9 a game...it was 16 one night and 2 the next. He's also a little overrated as a defender...his +/- was worst on the team. I was surprised he left, but was going to lose minutes to RS FR DeAndre Hunter.

Reuter is very skilled but would be better suited at a mid major. To say he's 6'7 is generous and he's not an explosive athlete. You take him out of a P5 conference, where he's not competing against 6'9/springy bigs, and he could be very effective though.

Nigel would be a terrible fit at UVA for the system Tony Bennett runs. Nigel is incredibly ineffective at creating his own shot in the lane, and is a ball stopper at the top of the key in the halfcourt. He would be most effective in a run and gun press and trap system like WVU. His quick hands on defense and ball handling are his two strengths, otherwise he is not a key piece on a contending team in my opinion.

Nigel would be a terrible fit at UVA for the system Tony Bennett runs. Nigel is incredibly ineffective at creating his own shot in the lane, and is a ball stopper at the top of the key in the halfcourt. He would be most effective in a run and gun press and trap system like WVU. His quick hands on defense and ball handling are his two strengths, otherwise he is not a key piece on a contending team in my opinion.

I guess it would depend on the definition of "key piece". Whoever we add this Spring...whether it's Nigel or someone else...will be our #4 guard. We need someone to play 15-17 mpg and be an insurance policy for one of the top 3 guys getting hurt. If he's willing to play that role on an ACC contender, in his home state, it might be a good fit.

We had a kid on some of Bennett's early teams...Jontel Evans. Nigel sounds like a better shooting Jontel, who couldn't hit 35% from 3 if you put him in an empty gym with no one guarding him. The 2 years Jontel started we won 45 games, made the NCAA's once, and were First Four out the other year. It's not totally unchartered territory for us to have a ball handler who is a ball-hawk defensively at PG...and this time he wouldn't be playing 30-35 mpg.

He is from VA. It could have to do with more than just basketball.

I see him at a program like IONA, or something like that.

ADVERTISEMENT