ADVERTISEMENT

Vague words from Hobbs on CVS

ScarletteK80

Heisman Winner
Mar 4, 2003
What’s the latest with C. Vivian Stringer?

“Can’t really say much. I had a great conversation with Vivian a couple of weeks ago. She’s looking forward to getting back here. She has to continue to work with her doctors and get approval.

"But she intends to be back here later this spring.’’

Keith Sargeant

✔@KSargeantNJ

Rutgers AD Pat Hobbs says 'health takes precedence' when it comes to C. Vivian Stringer's return: 'We want Coach to get better and take as much time as she needs so that we can have her back on the sidelines being the Vivian Stringer that we all know.' https://www.nj.com/rutgerswomen/2019/02/c-vivian-stringer-is-taking-a-leave-of-absence-from-rutgers-womens-basketball-team-when-will-she-return-who-takes-over.html …

5:53 PM - Feb 24, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

C. Vivian Stringer is taking a leave of absence from Rutgers women’s basketball team. When will she...
Rutgers women's basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer, a Hall of Fame mentor who recently won her 1,000th career win, is taking a leave of absence from the Scarlet Knights.

nj.com

See Keith Sargeant's other Tweets

is anybody else worried that the program is in total limbo right now...what is going on with recruiting, how can you have an ill coach and no recruiting visits

is anybody else worried that the program is in total limbo right now...what is going on with recruiting, how can you have an ill coach and no recruiting visits
I think all RU WBB fans are worried about CVS' health and know recruiting might be harder without a clear message that she's coming back, not the plans to like being given now.

As for being in limbo, have to agree with you on that since a statement claiming Vivian is healthy enough to assume her coaching duties again hasn't come out yet.

Last edited:
Agree about the limbo, but not so worried about recruiting. It is or has been a dead period where no recruiting is permitted (it was mentioned in an article about recruiting at UofA). Also, in truth, it is assistants who do the recruiting. The head coach is the "closer", puts in "appearances" at games to "show interest" and whatever sorts of texts and messages and such you can send to also show you are still interested. While this cannot go on forever, it is probably not so big a deal (relatively) short term.

I'm going to worry more about her health than about recruiting, tbh.
In a way, I only worry about her health - I was just being informative, I hope.

Ultimately, what I want is what is best for CVS - whether it is her choice to retire or to return. I would hate for continued ill health to force her to retire; however, if she chooses to retire either to better ensure her health going forward or because the health issues gave her time to reflect, I have no problem with that. If she has recovered and returns, I have no problem with that, either.

I continue to believe that she is expected to return.

In a way, I only worry about her health - I was just being informative, I hope.

Ultimately, what I want is what is best for CVS - whether it is her choice to retire or to return. I would hate for continued ill health to force her to retire; however, if she chooses to retire either to better ensure her health going forward or because the health issues gave her time to reflect, I have no problem with that. If she has recovered and returns, I have no problem with that, either.

I continue to believe that she is expected to return.
Well said.
CVS' comes first for most if not all RUWBB fans.
But there's nothing wrong when RU WBB fans wonder if Vivian's health will have a role in her returning or not.
Expecting Stringer to come back is what we are told and believe, but as of now there hasn't been definite word it will happen, only Hobbs' expects it to happen from the conversations he has had with her.

It's great to hear C Viv will be back soon ! Looking forward to another NCAA tourney run !

Great recruiting class !!! See you soon Coach Viv !

Reactions: RUClassof67
I don't care about recruiting right now although that is what this venue is about. I just hit 65. It's about this wonderful pioneer woman's health. Physically and emotionally.
Let's wait on this.

I don't care about recruiting right now although that is what this venue is about. I just hit 65. It's about this wonderful pioneer woman's health. Physically and emotionally.
Let's wait on this.
I can second that. Living it first hand.

Agreed. I wish her well and a speedy recovery. Even if CVS returns to coach next season, Hobbs has to plan for her eventual retirement. Plan the work and work the plan, Mr. Hobbs.

ADVERTISEMENT