The Rutgers Athletic Center opened in the fall of 1977 in Piscataway, NJ replacing the College Avenue Gymnasium as the basketball home of the varsity team. It was renamed the Louis Brown Athletic Center on May 17, 1986. According to a 2001-2002 Rutgers Gametime Magazine, an alumni-philanthropist left the University a $1 million endowment in his will when he died on February 14, 1984. “Louis Brown was a member of the Rutgers Class of 1936. During his days as a student ‘On The Banks,’ Brown was a member of the Scarlet Knight football team. He also played water polo and freshman lacrosse, two sports that were offered at the time. As active as he was while attending Rutgers, Brown is most commonly remembered for his efforts and contributions following his departure from the State University.” Ironically, none of the sports he played at Rutgers are played in the building. The Louis Brown Athletic Center quietly returned to its original name – the Rutgers Athletic Center – in 2019.