ADVERTISEMENT

VanBrill listed at 157

Don't pay much attention to the Rutgers roster, it doesn't get updated and doesn't very well reflect what's going on. The Depth Chart is better but this, posted bt Messner might be the most up to date:

125- Shawver, Peterson,Messina
133- Rivera, Raimo, Britton
141- Alvarez, Rivera, Robinson, Gapas, DeSantis
149- MVB, JoJo, Santos, Angelo
157- Kanniard, MVB, Benner
165- Clark, Kanniard, O"Neill
174- Turley, Janzer, O'Neill
184- Poznanski, Janzer
197- Bulsak, Epperly
HWT- McDermott, Esposito

Reactions: njsportsphan
Can rarely go by that Roster....it had Van Brill listed at 157 last year as well(all year). It still has Aguilar on this years roster.

I know kids get bigger over time but after hanging with the elites at 149, I’d be pretty surprised if MVB didn’t stay there.
He looked really good at 149 till the brain fart at National Championships. Have to think he'll give it another go at 149, I think the experience at Nationals could help this year. He seems to be getting more aggressive on offense and that usually pays off.

Can't judge the room during the off season. Mid October will be the best time to say what's happening in the room.

No they have not
Then they won't be wrestling 1st semester for Rutgers unless they qualify for an exemption. If they refuse they won't be wrestling for Rutgers at all. Students can't be on campus without proof of vaccinations. If what you say is true then I wonder who will be transferring out.

Then they won't be wrestling 1st semester for Rutgers unless they qualify for an exemption. If they refuse they won't be wrestling for Rutgers at all. Students can't be on campus without proof of vaccinations. If what you say is true then I wonder who will be transferring out.
He asked if they have all been vaccinated as of now ..not saying they won’t all be come septemberv

Can't judge the room during the off season. Mid October will be the best time to say what's happening in the room.
Maybe I phrased it wrong. I would hope each kid would have some objectives, including a target weight class. Likewise, the coaches might want to strategize in order to make the best of the distribution of talent. Your list of potential matchups at the various weight classes makes sense. I'm wondering if what you listed is what the coaches and wrestlers are also working towards. Bonding and practicing is great but I'd like to think there are some plans in motion. For instance, O'Neill at 165. If that is a goal, is he working with the strength and conditioning person to achieve that weight over time?

Is it unreasonable as a fan that I want to know how things are going and how individual wrestlers are progressing? The absence of information leaves us only to speculate. I've made the football comparison before and I continue to know much more about progress there than with wrestling.

I've thought about starting a thread just for asking about status of the wrestlers. Would that be okay and reasonable to expect some feedback? JoJo comes to mind as someone that not just me has asked about. I'd like to know how he is progressing. If he's going to challenge at 149, how are his chances? Personally, I would expect a guy with his rank and promise when entering the program to be very competitive now in his third year.

The coaches have an idea where they want the wrestlers. The coaches are hoping they report in September 15 to 10 pounds near that projected weight. Coaches will have a better idea what weight they are going after preseason practice. I think the second week of October starts the season so every week they will be required to make a certain weight heading into the first match.
First weigh-in will be 10 pounds outside their projected weight class. The next week it will be 8 pounds and so on until the first match.

I'm rooting for MVB to come back to his natural and best weight in 149. I think he'll break out this season - he was right there last season with the best wrestlers in the country, and I believe he is the best in 149 at RU (and Jo Jo redshirts and continues to develop). Really rooting for MVB to AA and I believe he can do it - the VanBrills deserve an All American! (the brother came so close and I don't know the family other than as an RU fan, but it did break my heart seeing it on TV how he came so so close)

I'm rooting for MVB to come back to his natural and best weight in 149. I think he'll break out this season - he was right there last season with the best wrestlers in the country, and I believe he is the best in 149 at RU (and Jo Jo redshirts and continues to develop). Really rooting for MVB to AA and I believe he can do it - the VanBrills deserve an All American! (the brother came so close and I don't know the family other than as an RU fan, but it did break my heart seeing it on TV how he came so so close)

I agree. He had a few practices with Jordan Boroughs, so hopefully he gained some insight. I can't imagine him not gaining anything out of it.

Reactions: RU93
JVB pretty much had it in the bag… 4 point lead with 18 seconds. His brain shut down… it happens. Regardless, he will always go down as one of the funnest guys to watch wrestle at RU. My son was a huge fan and given the opportunity to meet him John was great. Good people all around.

How hard can it be to keep the roster current?
Do you ever stop complaining? The season doesn’t start for 4 months and the university, up until today, had very minimal people on campus. With vaccine mandates, covid testing, mask mandates, I doubt anyone employed at Rutgers really cares if a wrestlers weight is off by 8 pounds on the team roster.

Do you ever stop complaining? The season doesn’t start for 4 months and the university, up until today, had very minimal people on campus. With vaccine mandates, covid testing, mask mandates, I doubt anyone employed at Rutgers really cares if a wrestlers weight is off by 8 pounds on the team roster.
"Do you ever stop complaining?"
Yes.
"...I doubt anyone employed at Rutgers really cares..."
Sad.

But my question was not answered. And the roster is out of date even for last season. The football team appears to take such things seriously.

I'll continue to have high expectations while you and some others continue to find excuses for mediocrity.

And why are you such a judgement passing a hole?You question and insult people all the time. I've yet to see you write a post with any substance. As of obnoxious as this dude is at least he brings up valid question and points

JVB pretty much had it in the bag… 4 point lead with 18 seconds. His brain shut down… it happens. Regardless, he will always go down as one of the funnest guys to watch wrestle at RU. My son was a huge fan and given the opportunity to meet him John was great. Good people all around.
He had the mother of all brain farts. He could've ran around the ring like a chicken with his head cut off and won AA or stalled his way to an AA.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
He had the mother of all brain farts. He could've ran around the ring like a chicken with his head cut off and won AA or stalled his way to an AA.
Just rewatched it… ouch… there was a clock malfunction towards the end that def messed up JVB’s rhythm… 19s left he was up 3 and the guy scored two quick takedowns to force OT and then got another td for the win… sucks but happens… even Gable mounted amazing comeback in gold medal match so happens to the best of them…

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
And why are you such a judgement passing a hole?You question and insult people all the time. I've yet to see you write a post with any substance. As of obnoxious as this dude is at least he brings up valid question and points
At no point did I judge him, or insult him. I asked if he ever stops complaining, which based on his post history I think is a legitimate question.

You calling me an a hole and calling him obnoxious is pretty judgmental and insulting though.

"Do you ever stop complaining?"
Yes.
"...I doubt anyone employed at Rutgers really cares..."
Sad.

But my question was not answered. And the roster is out of date even for last season. The football team appears to take such things seriously.

I'll continue to have high expectations while you and some others continue to find excuses for mediocrity.
I don’t believe any wrestling team in the country turns a profit. I could be wrong, but football teams and a handful of basketball teams are the only NCAA teams that consistently make money. Football teams can employ social media employees to work full weeks, operate twitter account, update websites, etc. Wrestling probably relies on a student volunteer to do those things, and again, I don’t think that’s their priority right now.

We all have standards for the team. I wish the entire sport was more accessible and information laden but unfortunately it’s not. This board is fortunate enough to have Bill, Mike, and a few others with connections to the program to disseminate information, probably better than any school website ever could.

It’s also possible that a kid weighs X and wrestles at Y come January. Again we’re four months away from the season. The team posts the projected matchups at each weight in advance. That’s when it matters. Not in august.

SCNJ
This season will be interesting as you have Sawver and Peterson duking it out at 125 with the loser possibly trying to win 133 along with Raimo if Rivera or Sammy the Bull decide not to cut down or can’t cut down. Then you have Seabass at 141 unless Sammy tries that too. At 149 you could have Sammy, Jojo and MVB trying out. MVB could try st 157 with Rob if he loses at 149. Gerard Angelo is very big so who knows where he goes. It is way too early to speculate about who goes where!

SCNJ
This season will be interesting as you have Sawver and Peterson duking it out at 125 with the loser possibly trying to win 133 along with Raimo if Rivera or Sammy the Bull decide not to cut down or can’t cut down. Then you have Seabass at 141 unless Sammy tries that too. At 149 you could have Sammy, Jojo and MVB trying out. MVB could try st 157 with Rob if he loses at 149. Gerard Angelo is very big so who knows where he goes. It is way too early to speculate about who goes where!
Wonder if Angelo can bulk up and make 165. That's easily the weight that we are weakest in on paper.

SCNJ
A lot of moving parts. Listing weights at this point seemingly serves no purpose. I would imagine some may even throw a hissy fit when things change come season time.

Wonder if Angelo can bulk up and make 165. That's easily the weight that we are weakest in on paper.
Angelo wrestles freestyle like it’s greco. Not sure if he’d be at a disadvantage trying to throw bigger kids or be at an advantage as throws get more common the higher you go up. Either way it’s worth a shot, we’re cheeks at 165 and I doubt Angelo is beating out any combination of Alvarez, MVB, and Kanniard from 149-157.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Angelo wrestles freestyle like it’s greco. Not sure if he’d be at a disadvantage trying to throw bigger kids or be at an advantage as throws get more common the higher you go up. Either way it’s worth a shot, we’re cheeks at 165 and I doubt Angelo is beating out any combination of Alvarez, MVB, and Kanniard from 149-157.
Why we didn't get someone in the portal at 165 I have no idea. Unless Clark is a late bloomer or Angelo can bulk up to 165 and be serviceable to average, we are screwed at that weight this season.

Why we didn't get someone in the portal at 165 I have no idea. Unless Clark is a late bloomer or Angelo can bulk up to 165 and be serviceable to average, we are screwed at that weight this season.
165 was the worst weight in the transfer Portal. Think there were about 9 165lbs in the portal(4 from Campbell..lol). I would say none were an upgrade or at best a slight upgrade than what we have. And we were not going to offer any of them $$$ to come. Of course I am not counting Evan Wick who was Penn State or Cal Poly, no one else had a chance with him.

I don’t think we should sleep on Clark. He wrestled once or twice as a fill in last year and was underweight if I remember correctly. I feel like he was relatively competitive too. Angelo probably has the higher upside though if he skill set translates up two weight classes from when we last saw him.

Gerard is well over that weight already so he has no need to bulk up. The question is does he want it and is he good enough.
Being over 165 for Gerard might not be a good thing. Hard to put on 20 pounds of good lean weight. He's not a tall kid. Not every kid fits the RU culture. So the portal may not be the best option for us. October will tell us where RU wrestlers are in weight

Being over 165 for Gerard might not be a good thing. Hard to put on 20 pounds of good lean weight. He's not a tall kid. Not every kid fits the RU culture. So the portal may not be the best option for us. October will tell us where RU wrestlers are in weight
Isn’t Angelo the strongest pound for pound guy in the weight room? When he was wrestling 149 I was dumbfounded that he made weight. He looked enormous there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT