ADVERTISEMENT

Vance Jackson Update

Myles Johnson was told that if Vance didn't accept his offer on the weekend, the spot was his. I know things can change and I know there is still a spot open but I'm thinking this kid is not part of the plan.

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
Myles Johnson was told that if Vance didn't accept his offer on the weekend, the spot was his. I know things can change and I know there is still a spot open but I'm thinking this kid is not part of the plan.
How do you not take this kid if he wants to commit??

How do you not take this kid if he wants to commit??

2017-18
The GIVENS
1. Sanders
2. Freeman
3. Williams

The ? marks
4. Thiam
5. Omoruyi
6. Sa
7. Mensah

The new guys
8. Baker
9. Johnson

The injured
10. Doorson
11. Bullock (weight)

Street clothes
12. Kiss
13. ??????

I am sorry but 2017-18 is starting to scare the crap out of me. Who is our 4th best player?

Last edited:
2017-18
The GIVENS
1. Sanders
2. Freeman
3. Williams

The ? marks
4. Thiam
5. Omoruyi
6. Sa
7. Mensah

The new guys
8. Baker
9. Johnson

The injured
10. Doorson
11. Bullock (weight)

Street clothes
12. Kiss
13. ??????

I am sorry but 2017-18 is starting to scare the crap out of me.
I said this before, this year is going to be a really bad team to prepare for the 2018-2019 season.

I said this before, this year is going to be a really bad team to prepare for the 2018-2019 season.

In that case, Hopefully, the 2018 recruits will sign on before the season starts....they are signing on based on Pikiell's vision and plan for 2018 and beyond. Three or four 4 star recruits can turn it around. It's all about that 2018 class, gotta hit some home runs. Pikiell and staff already hit one.

Last edited:
You could look at many college teams and say the same thing....you have to always be reloading.

This is not an easy call as it would be nice for a double digit scorer for this coming season. However, I think if Vance should choose RU we definitely should take him thinking about 2018 and the future. We will still have at least 3 ships for 2018 with the loss of Sa, Freeman and Williams and possibly more if Sanders or anyone else should leave. We will bring in Doucouret to take one of the 2018 ships. We need to get Mathis and hopefully Reid or another good player to really move forth. I think 2018 & 2019 recruits would than realize that the future will look bright if we have Doucoure, Kiss and Jackson all set for 2018. Hopefully Mathis will jump on board along with another good player if all falls into place.

2017-18
The GIVENS
1. Sanders
2. Freeman
3. Williams

The ? marks
4. Thiam
5. Omoruyi
6. Sa
7. Mensah

The new guys
8. Baker
9. Johnson

The injured
10. Doorson
11. Bullock (weight)

Street clothes
12. Kiss
13. ??????

I am sorry but 2017-18 is starting to scare the crap out of me. Who is our 4th best player?
Issa Thiam needs to take that next big step.

Won't be upset if this kid does not commit. I am not expecting him to. A ball heavy player. No loss to me.

Is he capable? He can definitely improve, but what is his ceiling?

Depends. I think Thiam with the weight program has a potential to be a great player. I am not saying his ceiling is limitless, but I do think a "good-great player" could be there. Especially the fact he plays defense. Especially with 4 years of development. All depends on his physical development.

Love to see Thiam take a big step up with his game. He needs to put on a lot of size but it's usually difficult for someone with his build to put it on, especially when they play basketball everyday.

2017-18
The GIVENS
1. Sanders
2. Freeman
3. Williams

The ? marks
4. Thiam
5. Omoruyi
6. Sa
7. Mensah

The new guys
8. Baker
9. Johnson

The injured
10. Doorson
11. Bullock (weight)

Street clothes
12. Kiss
13. ??????

This is the KEY to the season....

Can Thiam, Baker, and Sa (Who I think will be #4, #5, and #6 in minutes) step up

Think you can count on
Sanders 14.5-15.5 ppg....call it 15.0 ppg
Freeman 12.5-13.5 ppg....call it 13.0 ppg
Williams 11-12 ppg.........call it 11.5 ppg

That's 88 mpg and 39.5 ppg

Can you get
Thiam 7-8 ppg....call it 7.5 ppg (in 24 mpg)
Sa 6.5-7.5 ppg....call it 7.0 ppg (in 24 mpg)
Baker 5.5-6.5 ppg...call it 6.0 ppg (in 22 mpg)

That's 70 mpg from #4-#6 and 20.5 ppg

Totalling 158 mpg and 60 ppg....and other players giving you 42 mpg and 10 ppg (very possible between everyone else)...to get to 70 ppg ..a number that I think you need to be 6-12/7-11 in big ten play and 17-14 ish overall

In short...I don't think we can the W-L record improvement that we are looking for unless we get those numbers from #4-#6 and that requires those guys to improve their game to get to that level....which I think is possible

S

I'd love to pick up Jackson but it may be more important in terms of program building and recruiting momentum to get someone who can make an impact next year. We lose Freeman, Williams, Sa, and most likely Sanders after the upcoming year, so if we get someone who can really contribute this year and push for the NIT then maybe that's the way to go.

OTOH, if they lose those guys but then have a base of Chiam, Baker, Kiss, Doucoure, and Jackson... that isn't so bad either.

If jackson says he wants to go here. You take him. Really a no brainer. Top 75 player a year before and can ball.

Him Kiss Doucoure and the hope of Mathis is a great thing.

What are the odds that we can bring in a stud grad transfer at this point? If you can then I would go that way. If it is to bring in a depth guy then I would take Jackson and roll the dice that nobody gets hurt.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
What are the odds that we can bring in a stud grad transfer at this point? If you can then I would go that way. If it is to bring in a depth guy then I would take Jackson and roll the dice that nobody gets hurt.

The staff may be holding a spot for Doucoure. Even if he is not here in September, he could be here in December.

Why does this Doucoure stuff keep coming up? He is 2018. Even if he ever came in December he would be so far behind the other guys he probably would not help us for the coming season. I've been told he will be here in 2018 and why do all these rumors keep coming up.

Yeah Doucoure reclassing rumor has got to end. Just stop it. No one but key board warriors on here have stated that rumor.

Reactions: soundcrib

The last two Grad Transfers were Omari Greer and Gettys. Guys that both averaged around 7-8 points per game. Greer's stats were actually good: shot 43% overall, shot 40% from three and 83% from the foul line. His problems were the ill advised drives to the basket with his head down and defense.

We may get someone at this late date that can help with scoring. I like the Illinois state grad transfer.

A lot of things drive me crazy........

On the list is saying we need to replace PPG production.

Nigel Johnson scored for us. At what cost on the offensive end? Would I rather see 2 ball reversals and 2 cuts to the basket or Nigel dribbling. The production "is made up" from a more efficient offense where we score more on each possession. Points could come from 1,2,3,4 or 5. It doesn't matter!

Did Nigel really create offense or did he use the basketball to get scoring opportunities for himself with a lower efficiency compared to using the offense.

In conference our most efficient offensive players were
1. Williams
2. Gettys
3. Freeman

Not Johnson and not sanders. We can't certainly debate the statistics and the relevance. the shooting percentages can't be argued.

I think our best chance with Vance Jackson was when he was visiting.

Ideally, I would prefer to land a grad transfer at the 2/3 spot in the next couple of months and have Doucoure for this season. Yes, I realize that requires a departure.

Last edited:
A lot of things drive me crazy........

On the list is saying we need to replace PPG production.

Nigel Johnson scored for us. At what cost on the offensive end? Would I rather see 2 ball reversals and 2 cuts to the basket or Nigel dribbling. The production "is made up" from a more efficient offense where we score more on each possession. Points could come from 1,2,3,4 or 5. It doesn't matter!

Did Nigel really create offense or did he use the basketball to get scoring opportunities for himself with a lower efficiency compared to using the offense.

In conference our most efficient offensive players were
1. Williams
2. Gettys
3. Freeman

Not Johnson and not sanders. We can't certainly debate the statistics and the relevance. the shooting percentages can't be argued.

Spot on.....Nigel Johnson and to a lesser extent, Sanders, destroyed ball movement last year. That has to change this year.

I'm not sure it's a "no brainer" to take Vance if he was willing to come. The concern with Vance is that we tie up a schollie for two years but he only plays one and then turns pro, though admittedly I don't know if he's that good.

Somehow I doubt that Vance will only play one more year and than sign for the draft. He was only a frosh for Connecticut and was just barely in the Top 100 seniors when he entered Connecticut. I would think he would play at least two years for us over three years. I would take him but I am still also tempted for a grad transfer who could give us some scoring.

Doucoure coming next season would not cause a departure. We will be losing Sa, Freeman & Williams. We also could lose Sanders or someone else or even a grad transfer if one was added between now and the end of August. Doucoure would only take up one ship and we will have a minimum of three and could have more. Doucoure cannot sign until November.

UCONN had talent and they were only a .500 team. he average 2 2 point FG attempts and 2 FT attempts per game. he is 6'8'' and a good 3 point shooter. can't speak about his D. Also noteworthy he is leaving his school. Major to major transfers have to get you thinking why.

1991 was a long time ago.

Somehow I doubt that Vance will only play one more year and than sign for the draft. He was only a frosh for Connecticut and was just barely in the Top 100 seniors when he entered Connecticut. I would think he would play at least two years for us over three years. I would take him but I am still also tempted for a grad transfer who could give us some scoring.

Doucoure coming next season would not cause a departure. We will be losing Sa, Freeman & Williams. We also could lose Sanders or someone else or even a grad transfer if one was added between now and the end of August. Doucoure would only take up one ship and we will have a minimum of three and could have more. Doucoure cannot sign until November.

Sorry, I edited my post. I meant getting a grad transfer and having Doucoure for 17-18 would require a departure, and that is my ideal scenario.

In professional sports athletes bargain hard for player options (in a contract). These transfers give a players option for the last year with the grad transfer rule.

In Nigel Johnson's case his scholarship....
2015-16 street clothes
2016-17 he played
2017-18 fishing pole is casted after prize fish are all caught

I think the poster who said the opportunity was here when he visited was correct? If he did want to come; I would probably take him just based on what he did in high school. A grad transfer could help but not sure it would help enough to make the difference we need this year versus watching things happen in 2018-2019. I actually think 2019 might be more of the year we break out. Not saying it can't happen in 2018 but I'm just being patient.

Is he capable? He can definitely improve, but what is his ceiling?

I think Thiam's potential is scary good. When I saw him last season at 6'6" plus starting as a true freshman guard weighing a buck o' five, I realized that Pike has a vision for him. He has great feet and shot when he's set and not shooting rushed and like he's being guarded by a six footer. I have no doubt he'll be stronger and have more weight. If he gets aggressive taking it to the hoop and he lets it fly from the perimeter and 3 pt line I think this kid is a 15-18 pts/game player. I'm looking forward to a stronger more confident, agressive and more comfortable Thiam that will on occasion score 20+ points. Really looking forward to him taking the next step.

GO RU

Yeah Doucoure reclassing rumor has got to end. Just stop it. No one but key board warriors on here have stated that rumor.
Brainiac. This is very simple logic so try to follow closely. If mamadou was previously classified as a 2017 prospect, he basically has everything needed to be one again (even if he is a midyear enrollee). It is not a rumor...it is a legitimate option that our staff can take.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT