ADVERTISEMENT

Vegas has spoken, Rutgers +14 @Nebraska. Discuss

Gambling has nothing to do with being a fan. It's about the $.
I've lost too many bets at the track because I was a fan of a horse. I've won some too. Lemon Drop Kid and Black Tie Affair come to mind as big money makers but you should never bet with your heart.
Don't I know it.

These numbers indicate a borderline blowout. Being positive is nice, but it's a long road to hoe. I hope to be competitive, but something has to blow up at Nebraska for us to win.

"...road to hoe..." ????????

Reactions: RUDutch
So, you took the bet at 10 points and went Rutgers+10?

No one here is saying you might as well NOT play the game because Vegas has spoken. This is just a mental exercise, for some, that suggests what a good bet on this game would look like.

The only "balls" that matter here are the players'.. and when you are done sniffing them maybe a ridiculous point spread will cause some anger on their parts and we'll see some fire.
No, don't bet. But, I'll tell you this much I think this team can beat Nebraska straight up. Mostly, because as a fan it is the correct and really the ONLY way any of us should approach each and every game. Anything less shows a lack of confidence in a team that literally bleeds for wins. Who are we to say that they can't win, unless given points. These types of threads are counter productive to the abilities of the product, and serve no purpose, other than to those who come close to the score. Just so they can all say see I told you so..........

Reactions: czxqa
I've lost too many bets at the track because I was a fan of a horse. I've won some too. Lemon Drop Kid and Black Tie Affair come to mind as big money makers but you should never bet with your heart.

I won big on Hansel in the '91 Preakness. Everyone gave up on him after a disappointing Derby but not me. BTW....RIP Hansel. Just passed a couple months ago.

Reactions: WhiteBus
These numbers indicate a borderline blowout. Being positive is nice, but it's a long road to hoe. I hope to be competitive, but something has to blow up at Nebraska for us to win.

Roads don't get hoed, rows get hoed. Think we have a chance at Nebraska. Now go hoe that row.

No, don't bet. But, I'll tell you this much I think this team can beat Nebraska straight up. Mostly, because as a fan it is the correct and really the ONLY way any of us should approach each and every game. Anything less shows a lack of confidence in a team that literally bleeds for wins. Who are we to say that they can't win, unless given points. These types of threads are counter productive to the abilities of the product, and serve no purpose, other than to those who come close to the score. Just so they can all say see I told you so..........
So why not wait to click on the thread that says RUTGERS CANNOT BEAT NEBRASKA rather than the thread that says VEGAS HAS SPOKEN, RUTGERS + 14 ?

Why even click on a point spread thread? DO yo actually think players look at point spreads and think they cannot win? Do you think that threads like this is how they would learn that the point spread is 14 and thus they cannot win?

If this thread was never created and the point spread never discussed.. do you think that improves Rutgers chance of winning or does it have no effect at all?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
So why not wait to click on the thread that says RUTGERS CANNOT BEAT NEBRASKA rather than the thread that says VEGAS HAS SPOKEN, RUTGERS + 14 ?

Why even click on a point spread thread? DO yo actually think players look at point spreads and think they cannot win? Do you think that threads like this is how they would learn that the point spread is 14 and thus they cannot win?

If this thread was never created and the point spread never discussed.. do you think that improves Rutgers chance of winning or does it have no effect at all?
If they did, they would never play past Pop Warner football. But, I do think they look at the fan base(especially recruits), and wonder what kind of fan doesn't completely support the teams. BTW, fan=Fanatic. Or did you think that you have no voice?
As examples; empty stands, booing, daily interactions from fellow students, non supportive administration, faculty, and constant belittlement, etc. Yes, it would effect any person to some degree. The fact that you don't see that is part of the problem

Wow. What a stupid post and extremely delusional.
Some of us like to live in a world called reality.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Lemon Drop Kid must have generated a mint. Nice White Bus. By the way, I played a $10 exacta straight with Victory Gallop beating Triple Crown contender Real Quiet. That paid extremely well. Great memories.

As to the spread on this game, I'm not sure. While my heart says take Rutgers and the points, something in my head is saying to stay away from this bet. If the line moves down to 10pts by game time Nebraska might be a good bet on a tease. If the spread moves up to 17.5pts I would take Rutgers and the under on a tease.

Last edited:
Oct 17th 2015 last time Rutgers won a B10 game.thats #SAD.

I'd like to see Ash pull the upset here, just to get some of our wayward RU fans back in his corner with their support.
I hate posts like this as there is complete ignorance by people who post this crap!
Just because most Rutgers fans are not happy with going a complete year without a win does not mean they are supporting the team.
You can be unhappy with the results AND be supportive. Stop with the "Im a fan whatever happens" crap. We all are!

I hate posts like this as there is complete ignorance by people who post this crap!
Just because most Rutgers fans are not happy with going a complete year without a win does not mean they are supporting the team.
You can be unhappy with the results AND be supportive. Stop with the "Im a fan whatever happens" crap. We all are!

Not sure what you are talking about.

I was referring to getting RU fans back in Coach Ash's corner. Of course RU fans will always support the team.

Who said " I'm a fan whatever happens " ?

If they did, they would never play past Pop Warner football. But, I do think they look at the fan base(especially recruits), and wonder what kind of fan doesn't completely support the teams. BTW, fan=Fanatic. Or did you think that you have no voice?
As examples; empty stands, booing, daily interactions from fellow students, non supportive administration, faculty, and constant belittlement, etc. Yes, it would effect any person to some degree. The fact that you don't see that is part of the problem

Kitchen sink argument with a straw man to boot. Why not blame Trump and Climate Change Deniers as well?

Bottom line.. insulting the team and players is insulting the team and players. Discussing a point spread is discussing a point spread.. nothing more, nothing less.

I do not bet and routinely express the idea that the players can do more than what most expect of them if our coaches help them out by being smarter than the opposing coaches. And in that way of thinking I'd like to see them treat play-calling and risk-taking better suited to the AGGRESSIVE sport that football is. Everything about it should be seizing the initiative and making opportunities and getting the players to feel aggressive... to BE aggressive.

But to your way of thinking because I dare to examine and discuss published odds I am NON-supportive and am stopping recruits from choosing Rutgers because they don't see enough support on this board. I could easily argue that it is acceptance of everything as it is rather than as it should be.. in way of looking like you are "supportive".. that is what stops Rutgers Football from progressing.

I'm sure the coaching staff and AD will be happy with you accepting everything they do.. but don't confuse that with helping Rutgers Football.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
ADVERTISEMENT