ADVERTISEMENT

Vetrone to Saint Johns ?

I would say this isn’t a big deal but given how we replaced some other members of the staff since the original strong group Pike brought in I’m a little worried

Reactions: RocktheRac
For sure - I definitely go a layer further than most in my awareness of the programs strengths and weakness and subsequent decision making.
No, you're just a miserable person who has some sort of bizarre compulsion to have the most negative take he can about everything. But trolls will be trolls. Carry on.

Reactions: RUhobbit and TRU2RU
No, you're just a miserable person who has some sort of bizarre compulsion to have the most negative take he can about everything. But trolls will be trolls. Carry on.
So killed for being “negative” (constructive criticism) on Geo and McConnell. Killed for being positive too strong praise for Young and Cliff and mild praise for Mulchay’s strides and Montez. Got it. You guys are sick individuals.

Last edited:
For sure - I definitely go a layer further than most in my awareness of the programs strengths and weakness and subsequent decision making.
When making this claim it would be helpful if you backed it up with some type of analysis to exhibit your understanding of how the impact of potentially losing Vetrone ties into effecting the program's strengths / weaknesses.

St John's will benefit from Vetrone's recruiting skills. They could use some Canary Islands players.

Reactions: shields
Iona has assistant Tom Abatemarco. St. John’s has Greg Vetrone. These guys real titles should be “right hand man”, right?

I would say this isn’t a big deal but given how we replaced some other members of the staff since the original strong group Pike brought in I’m a little worried

You act like there has been some kind of revolving door of coaches and staff going and coming.

There have been 2 guys replaced in 5 years... Jay Young and Dougher. Did I miss anyone important???? Replaced by Hayn and TJ Thompson.

Last edited:
You act like there has been some kind of revolving door of coaches and staff going and coming.

There have been 2 guys replaced in 5 years... Jay Young and Dougher. Did I miss anyone important???? Replaced by Hayn and TJ Thompson.
That’s not how I’m acting that’s what you’re looking for

Surprised about the negative take on Vetrone. Didn't he recruit DeShawn Freeman and Corey Sanders here before his role changed? Even though he was in a non-recruiting role, the staff could still benefit from the many relationships/connections he had. That said, guys leave for other jobs all the time. It happens and it's a new opportunity to add a quality person to the staff. I wish him well- he was a nice guy the few times I met him.

Shoes did a good job at Rutgers, but isn't replaceable.
New Blood in the recruiting department might be what the program, needs now, while
St.John's feels a need for an old hand in the NY/NJ Metro recruiting area
Though if Van Macon is still there ,they already have a good recruiter for area.

If Shoes is replacing DeMeo , Shoes is returning to the assistant ranks and will be able to go out and recruit , instead of being an office worker in his recruiting efforts.

Reactions: wngarbarini
Surprised about the negative take on Vetrone. Didn't he recruit DeShawn Freeman and Corey Sanders here before his role changed? Even though he was in a non-recruiting role, the staff could still benefit from the many relationships/connections he had. That said, guys leave for other jobs all the time. It happens and it's a new opportunity to add a quality person to the staff. I wish him well- he was a nice guy the few times I met him.

My guess is that its a counter to the generally overly negative reactions on this board .....i.e......"no big loss" or "all is well" reactions.

While Shoes' role within the program has diminished of late, there's no denying the kids he got against all odds when he was here on EJs staff. Those guys set the table for Pike and provided the bridge to where we are now.

For me, Shoes represents what's left of my true long term connection to the program. If and when he goes, RU hoops will just be different for me. Not good or bad...just different. Feeling bummed about this potential loss to the program.

Shoes was always nice to me. If he should leave I am certain he will be very pleased to be a recruiter once again and of course an increase in salary. He has always been very loyal to RU.

DeMeo is definitely well liked in the JuCo universe. He was a very successful head coach at Northwest Florida State. DeMeo led the Raiders to a national title and was named the Spalding NJCAA National Coach of the Year in 2015. Northwest Florida State turned in a six-year record of 170-27 (.863), earned an additional berth in the 2017 NJCAA Final Four and advanced to the Elite Eight in 2016, 2018 and 2019.

DeMeo also has decades of experience as a D1 assistant coach.

FAU & South Florida have openings for an assistant. A source told me the FAU position has been filled just not announced yet. I don't think DeMeo is getting that job but he is on my hot board for South Florida.

DeMeo is definitely well liked in the JuCo universe. He was a very successful head coach at Northwest Florida State. DeMeo led the Raiders to a national title and was named the Spalding NJCAA National Coach of the Year in 2015. Northwest Florida State turned in a six-year record of 170-27 (.863), earned an additional berth in the 2017 NJCAA Final Four and advanced to the Elite Eight in 2016, 2018 and 2019.

DeMeo also has decades of experience as a D1 assistant coach.

FAU & South Florida have openings for an assistant. A source told me the FAU position has been filled just not announced yet. I don't think DeMeo is getting that job but he is on my hot board for South Florida.
Do you know why DeMeo is leaving St. John's, the schools you mentioned seem like a step down for him

Do you know why DeMeo is leaving St. John's, the schools you mentioned seem like a step down for him
I do not but the general consensus in the coaching community is that it was not DeMeo's decision to exit the St. John's program.

The South Florida and Florida Atlantic jobs aren't HM jobs but they pay pretty well and you get to keep more of your money since there's no state income tax. Also, they have openings right now. Not too many programs have openings on their coaching staffs in late June. Which is why the coaching Community is upset at St. John's timing.

If he wants to return to head coaching DeMeo could we return to Florida and take the Tallahassee Community College job that has been opened for a while.

Shoes was much more necessary to Eddie's staff than to Coach Pikiell's. We recruit at a very different level now. I wish Coach Vetrone the best of luck at St. John's

Van Macon, Shoes, and Tez on the Johnnies—it’s turning into RU East.

Has this been officially announced yet? If so good luck to Shoes. He would get a big raise in salary.

While Shoes' role within the program has diminished of late, there's no denying the kids he got against all odds when he was here on EJs staff. Those guys set the table for Pike and provided the bridge to where we are now.

For me, Shoes represents what's left of my true long term connection to the program. If and when he goes, RU hoops will just be different for me. Not good or bad...just different. Feeling bummed about this potential loss to the program.

Shoes was much more necessary to Eddie's staff than to Coach Pikiell's. We recruit at a very different level now. I wish Coach Vetrone the best of luck at St. John's
Two different perspectives from opinions I value on here.

Reactions: RutgHoops
All the assistant coaches have recruiting responsibility.Vetrone wasn't paid as a assistant coach.
I realize that his staff recruits. What I'd like to see, though, is Pike put really good recruiters on his staff. When Young left, Pike missed an opportunity to bring in a strong recruiter as a replacement, instead promoting an advisor from within. Pike loses way too many recruiting battles, particularly with a brand-spanking-new $125mm facility sitting right next to the RAC, and I'd like to see him get recruiting help to pair with his coaching.

Reactions: RUsojo
I realize that his staff recruits. What I'd like to see, though, is Pike put really good recruiters on his staff. When Young left, Pike missed an opportunity to bring in a strong recruiter as a replacement, instead promoting an advisor from within. Pike loses way too many recruiting battles, particularly with a brand-spanking-new $125mm facility sitting right next to the RAC, and I'd like to see him get recruiting help to pair with his coaching.
Is the problem the quality of the recruiter or is it the desire to not play dirty when it comes to recruiting that holds back Pike's recruiting? I think this is a valid question.

Is the problem the quality of the recruiter or is it the desire to not play dirty when it comes to recruiting that holds back Pike's recruiting? I think this is a valid question.

Pikiell learned a lot from Calhoun but this is one area where he will not pattern himself after dirty Calhoun.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
So you’re suggesting that RU football is playing dirty?

I really think you are overstating the level of recruiting Jay Young was involved in and downplaying the ability of Karl Hobbs and Brandin Knight. We are talking about a 3rd assistant coach position as if filling this position doesn't come with specific requirements.

If an assistant is a #1 or # 2 at another school, that assistant enjoys certain responsibilities and experience (and pay) and it is not a magic wand to ask that #1 or 2 assistant at another school, to take a step back and new job, unless they need to or it's an opportunity to good to pass up.

It is surprising to continue to see as many misguided or vague postings indicating something is wrong or that RU has not secured some wiggle room or benefit of the doubt. Most if not all of the "what RU should be doing" is based on a football program or looking at a program that employs 10 true coaches and of those 2, you either have 1 true Offensive coordinator or co-offensive coordinators in football. You can maneuver much easier in football to make a coaching hire and have that person handle the passing game, running game, WRs or TEs or RBs because they're all pieces to the puzzle.....same on the defensive side of the ball.

It is rare to ask a football staff not named Alabama or LSU, Texas, Clemson etc, to hire former HCs and assign them the WRs or RBs.....

In hoops, you have 1st, 2nd and 3rd assistants and the hires that fans expect are former #1 or current #1 assistants, willing to be 3rd assistant at RU. That rarely happens.

I think for a Shoes Vetrone, very good coach and resource, but being off the road or in a non recruiting role for more than a couple of years, could become obsolete, if he doesn't get back on a staff soon. You always want to maintain your contacts and stay out on the road and get to the locations and people that are used to seeing and connecting with you. If St John's makes that move, it would be a good time for him and also creates another spot or promotion from the younger hires that are also on the RU staff, but not currently 1 of the 3 official assistant coaches. TJ Thompson was brought on board a couple of years ago and he could secure a bump up in responsibilities and someone else can be brought in to create a stronger "bench" of resources.

Those spots all come with a pecking order and pay level. And what RU has done to build this program, is well thought-out and doesn't mean it's perfect, but it's pretty solid IMO.

Reactions: DRC79
ADVERTISEMENT