ADVERTISEMENT

Waited to post

RUboston

All American
Sep 13, 2002
Didn't want to post right after the game; didn't want to post something in the state I was in. Another tough loss, in a long history of tough RU losses. This one is up there. I was on a high after Friday night. It made the weekend so much better having finally made it to the Big Dance and winning a game - food tasted better, spring had arrived, work wasn't as stressful. 😉 I was so looking forward to an upset of Houston. Was riding my bike around DC today. The Mall was packed and ran into two guys with RU attire. Total strangers but we talked about the team and beating Houston.

Now I feel like I've been punched in the gut. Thought we had it in the bag with 5 minutes to go, and in my mind was on the way to beating Syracuse in the Sweet 16. I went through the usual routine after a bad RU loss - anger; assigning blame; replaying each bad play in my mind - if so and so had only done/not done X, we would have won. Then finally saying I'm done with RU athletics, that I can't continue to invest this emotional energy anymore. Unrequited love.

Watching the last 5 minutes of that game kind of sums up life as a Rutgers fan. It all had this strange feeling of negative inevitability to it - like a bad dream you try to get out of but it keeps going. I was waiting for that play to be made that would seal the deal, but it didn't come.

But we did get the plays on Friday night. Proud of this team and getting to the Tournament and getting a win. As disappointed as we are, I can't imagine how the players and coaching staff feel. Thanks Coach P and the players for this season. I'll remain a fan as always, hoping next time it isn't the gut punch but the promised land.

Didn't want to post right after the game; didn't want to post something in the state I was in. Another tough loss, in a long history of tough RU losses. This one is up there. I was on a high after Friday night. It made the weekend so much better having finally made it to the Big Dance and winning a game - food tasted better, spring had arrived, work wasn't as stressful. 😉 I was so looking forward to an upset of Houston. Was riding my bike around DC today. The Mall was packed and ran into two guys with RU attire. Total strangers but we talked about the team and beating Houston.

Now I feel like I've been punched in the gut. Thought we had it in the bag with 5 minutes to go, and in my mind was on the way to beating Syracuse in the Sweet 16. I went through the usual routine after a bad RU loss - anger; assigning blame; replaying each bad play in my mind - if so and so had only done/not done X, we would have won. Then finally saying I'm done with RU athletics, that I can't continue to invest this emotional energy anymore. Unrequited love.

Watching the last 5 minutes of that game kind of sums up life as a Rutgers fan. It all had this strange feeling of negative inevitability to it - like a bad dream you try to get out of but it keeps going. I was waiting for that play to be made that would seal the deal, but it didn't come.

But we did get the plays on Friday night. Proud of this team and getting to the Tournament and getting a win. As disappointed as we are, I can't imagine how the players and coaching staff feel. Thanks Coach P and the players for this season. I'll remain a fan as always, hoping next time it isn't the gut punch but the promised land.

I’m a Mets and a Knicks fan too. I’ll be over it soon.

we have been conditioned for bad things to happen so deep down we are not really surprised, after the sting of tonight fades and we stop replaying the last 5 minutes in our minds, we will appreciate what these kids did this season and really think about this season with good positive thoughts

ADVERTISEMENT