ADVERTISEMENT

Was this Palmquist's breakout game ?

Love all the expert naysayers
What do these guys get for expert ceiling definitive declarations limiting young people and their capabilities. It cracks me the F up
Get a life or at least a job that allows you to get paid for your brilliant expert declarations
😂😂😂

He’s got some height and can hit an open 3.
That means you have to pay attention to him and cover him.
Not a bad idea for a few minutes looking for a spark.
Put him out there with Caleb, Cliff and Mag if defense is a problem
Wisconsin and Iowa always seem to have 2-3 guys like this who can come in off the bench and drain some key treys. With strong defense from the others, as you said, we can afford to have him on the floor for a few stretches - if he can deliver on O.

What do these guys get for expert ceiling definitive declarations limiting young people and their capabilities. It cracks me the F up
Get a life or at least a job that allows you to get paid for your brilliant expert declarations
😂😂😂
What do some fans get out of over hyping players to a level they can never achieve when they have never seen them play a minute of college ball.

😂😂😂

Isn't HC Pike the one putting the "ceiling" on the players by not playing them?

Are people going to call out HC Pike for "limiting" Oskar's capabilities if he doesn't play him significant minutes again?

He will definitely get a look vs MSU...especially if our outside shots are not falling. He earned it .

Are people going to call out HC Pike for "limiting" Oskar's capabilities if he doesn't play him significant minutes again?
😂😂😂

What do some fans get out of over hyping players to a level they can never achieve when they have never seen them play a minute of college ball.
Fandom! A positive rooting experience! Wishing the best for young college men

There’s really nothing wrong with honest discussion of a player’s abilities.
Like the one about Cam that all the board experts were wrong about.
Honest assessment? What does that even mean?
I hope as a fan these so called experts are wrong yet again!!!

Like the one about Cam that all the board experts were wrong about.
Honest assessment? What does that even mean?
I hope as a fan these so called experts are wrong yet again!!!
You don’t understand what “honest assessment” means? My honest assessment is that that is absurd and you obviously know what those words mean but I suppose I can explain it to you anyway.

It means it’s fine for fans to post on a message board that they think a player won’t play much, isn’t as good as other players on the team, etc. That’s not the same as wishing ill on someone. This is a message board, not cheerleading practice.

You don’t understand what “honest assessment” means? My honest assessment is that that is absurd and you obviously know what those words mean but I suppose I can explain it to you anyway.

It means it’s fine for fans to post on a message board that they think a player won’t play much, isn’t as good as other players on the team, etc. That’s not the same as wishing ill on someone. This is a message board, not cheerleading practice.
😂 thanks I thought it was cheer leading practice. I will continue with that world view
I have of the message board. More fun that way. Less negative

There’s really nothing wrong with honest discussion of a player’s abilities.
He had an ok performance, but he still suxs in the future! and here’s why because I am an expert who doesn’t get paid for my expert assessments. 😂😂😂😂

He had an ok performance, but he still suxs in the future! and here’s why because I am an expert who doesn’t get paid for my expert assessments. 😂😂😂😂
I mean, I'm not saying people are necessarily going to be right (although I don't really think Palmquist is going to be a huge difference maker going forward; presumably there was a reason he wasn't playing up until now).

There may be exceptions (I think I read this whole thread but I'm not going back through every post in it) but I really don't see any bashing of Palmquist in this thread. I see opinions ranging from "maybe he can provide a spark moving forward" to "I'm happy for the kid but I doubt he gets of the bench moving forward because of x, y, z". It's a message board for the discussion of basketball, I really don't understand the issue with these posts at all regardless of whether the posters are right and wrong. Not everything needs to be sunshine and rainbows 100% of the time, you know?

At least we know that by putting Oskar into a game now, we force the other team to defend him closely. He has, for now at least, established that he is a threat to shoot and score. His excellent form indicates his performance can be duplicated, given enough space to get a clean look.

Happy for kid. Minnesota defense was piss poor. They didn’t contest shots.. Oskar can make shoots if no one plays defense on him. Can’t put ball on floor and can’t guard.

Neat for him to shine in front of parents but won’t see more than five mins any game going forward.

GO RU
On the other hand, he may actually be playing better in practice right now

Last edited:
Reactions: socaldave
It’ll be nice the see Palmquist drain three threes in a row against Iowa in the NCAA regional semi-final to break the game open (final score of 99-95) after three losses to Iowa already this season (BigTen tourney too).

I mean, I'm not saying people are necessarily going to be right (although I don't really think Palmquist is going to be a huge difference maker going forward; presumably there was a reason he wasn't playing up until now).

There may be exceptions (I think I read this whole thread but I'm not going back through every post in it) but I really don't see any bashing of Palmquist in this thread. I see opinions ranging from "maybe he can provide a spark moving forward" to "I'm happy for the kid but I doubt he gets of the bench moving forward because of x, y, z". It's a message board for the discussion of basketball, I really don't understand the issue with these posts at all regardless of whether the posters are right and wrong. Not everything needs to be sunshine and rainbows 100% of the time, you know?
After recent comments from Pike himself about how difficult it is to be a young athlete in today’s age, I have decided to be more positive about these kids in general.
Especially on our own message boards
I look at it as if Palmquist himself or even his family we’re excited for his recent performance and were looking for some positive confirmation of his performance
This tread would not necessarily provide that.
To what end?, so a bunch of old men can get some positive confirmation to feed their egos?, If they somehow Manage to be accurate about what the limitations are of his future prospects as a player are at Rutgers. An endeavor at this point of the Basketball program seems to be an all in all encompassing affair.
In other words I don’t think anyone involved with Rutgers bball is dogging it.
The kid had an incredible knight. Maybe the biggest athletic moment of his career. The type of knight 99% of our experts will never have. I am very happy for the kid hats off to him as a life long Rutgers fan, I am great full!
Yes kid Rutgers was up by a bucket you came in made an offensive and defensive play that changed the trajectory of the game!!!
I hope you and your family are reading this. Build on this kid it was special!

Last edited:
After recent comments from Pike himself about how difficult it is to be a young athlete in today’s age, I have decided to be more positive about these kids in general.
Especially on our own message boards
I look at it as if Palmquist himself or even his family we’re excited for his recent performance and were looking for some positive confirmation of his performance
This tread would not necessarily provide that.
To what end?, so a bunch of old men can get some positive confirmation to feed their egos?, If they somehow Manage to be accurate about what the limitations are of his future prospects as a player are at Rutgers. An endeavor at this point of the Basketball program seems to be an all in all encompassing affair.
In other words I don’t think anyone involved with Rutgers bball is dogging it.
The kid had an incredible knight. Maybe the biggest athletic moment of his career. The type of knight 99% of our experts will never have. I am very happy for the kid hats off to him as a life long Rutgers fan, I am great full!
Yes kid Rutgers was up by a bucket you came in made an offensive and defensive play that changed the trajectory of the game!!!
I hope you and your family are reading this. Build on this kid it was special!
That’s fine and even admirable. I just don’t think it’s a reasonable expectation of others.

This is kind of interesting in that Pike is also the guy who recruited him and gave him a scholarship.

So Pike did see ability. Unfortunately, to this point at least, it hasn't bore much fruit. But guys do progress at different rates, and it's often not in a linear fashion. So I hold out some hope that Palm's can round out his game and become more of a contributor.

Just curious....when you say "HC Pike" multiple times as if to emphasize it.... is your assumption that people on this board don't know that Pike is the HC?

On to the point...

Is Pike putting a ceiling on a player by not playing them or is he making an observation through direct significant daily evaluation that Player A gives the team a better chnce to win than Player B etc.

While he may limit their "opportunities" and fans often criticize Pike and/or other coaches about playing time for certain players....not sure how a coach limits a players "capabilities".

Just curious....when you say "HC Pike" multiple times as if to emphasize it.... is your assumption that people on this board don't know that Pike is the HC?

On to the point...

Is Pike putting a ceiling on a player by not playing them or is he making an observation through direct significant daily evaluation that Player A gives the team a better chnce to win than Player B etc.

While he may limit their "opportunities" and fans often criticize Pike and/or other coaches about playing time for certain players....not sure how a coach limits a players "capabilities".

Don’t know why. Habit? Respect for the title? Good question though.
Usually put HC Schiano (or HC GS) too. Same with former OC SG or OC McNulty.

On to the point - the original post was critizing fans for “putting ceilings on players” with posts saying Oskar isn’t likely to play much going forward.

Just pointing out that Pike (ya didn’t like that) is the one actually putting a ceiling on Oskar with limiting his playing time. Was just wondering if the OP would also critics HC Pike (much better) for putting a ceiling in on Oskar if he didn’t play much going forward.

Palm is now 7 of 13 from three on the season…and 6 of 9 in the last three games.

I think we should just recognize this moment for what it was - a great moment for a guy who has puts in a lot of work to help his team in practice, remained loyal and by all accounts is a great teammate. It was a blast watching him and the crowd enjoy this. But Minnesota is horrible and it’s really unlikely he’ll make another contribution like this again.
I may have been wrong about Oskar

Reactions: Kbee3
I may have been wrong about Oskar
If Oscar’s defense was as bad as a few are saying, what a great addition he would have been for a scoring punch on the court with Cliff, Paul, Caleb and Mag.
Apparently without Mag you can’t hide his D

If Oscar’s defense was as bad as a few are saying, what a great addition he would have been for a scoring punch on the court with Cliff, Paul, Caleb and Mag.
Apparently without Mag you can’t hide his D
Oskar can't play much 5 though. It would have to be against a smaller 5 who isn't much of a scoring threat for that to work or he will be eaten alive

Oskar can't play much 5 though. It would have to be against a smaller 5 who isn't much of a scoring threat for that to work or he will be eaten alive
My point Scragg-
Was Oscar would have been extremely valuable with a healthy Mag with him

A lineup with Spencer/Mulcahy/Hyatt/Palmquist/Omoruyi should see the ball whipping around the arc for the first uncontested look. Push it to Omoruyi, let the double come, then pass the ball around and make the defense chase.

That's not a great defensive lineup, but it really should see a lot of deep balls earlier in the shot clock.

Reactions: Scangg
A lineup with Spencer/Mulcahy/Hyatt/Palmquist/Omoruyi should see the ball whipping around the arc for the first uncontested look. Push it to Omoruyi, let the double come, then pass the ball around and make the defense chase.

That's not a great defensive lineup, but it really should see a lot of deep balls earlier in the shot clock.
@Greene Rice FIG is going to make you do planks now

Reactions: zappaa
ADVERTISEMENT