ADVERTISEMENT

washington game

RUblackshirt2006

Sophomore
Aug 14, 2009
I've never been to an away game, but I'm flying to this one. I was thinking there's probably a rutgers section, but I have no idea where it is. Is there a rutgers tailgate in a specific parking lot? Any information you can provide me with would be much appreciated. Also, possibly a rutgers post game celebration bar?

I've never been to an away game, but I'm flying to this one. I was thinking there's probably a rutgers section, but I have no idea where it is. Is there a rutgers tailgate in a specific parking lot? Any information you can provide me with would be much appreciated. Also, possibly a rutgers post game celebration bar?

If you buy tickets through Rutgers you'll get the visitor section.

Rutgers athletics usually hosts a pregame you can pay for that's decent. Other people might know better pre/post game options.

Last time in Seattle for WSU there was a great B1G happy hour on Friday night at a bar in Queen Anne area , hopefully they'll have that again.

Post game have no idea. Going to be pretty early, game will be over by 3. Of course a victory would change my plans!

The problem is if you are a student of the game , and want to actually see the game, the visitors are usually stuck in the worst seats in the house, which is why I usually forego sitting in the RU section . If I'm spending a lot of money going to an away game , I actually want to be able to SEE THE GAME. Sooooo call up the ticket office and find our the section, and if in a crappy section buy your own on Stubhub. First game against an OOC team for UW, in early Sept , should be good seats available at a reasonable price.

IMO you won't really have a good time at the alumni gathering. I have been to 3 of them and the average age is 87. The food was blah and the drink tickets and talking to Sarah was ok but it was mostly a snooze fest. You might like hanging out with senior citizens so this might be right up your ally but I just wanted to warn you. Now this is just my opinion so take that as one guy's opinion but others there felt the same.

Is there a reason why you specifically picked 87?

60261928ca5f2878b4707a5e086850fae0419199619854f41444fc11faf79756.0.jpg

IMO you won't really have a good time at the alumni gathering. I have been to 3 of them and the average age is 87. The food was blah and the drink tickets and talking to Sarah was ok but it was mostly a snooze fest. You might like hanging out with senior citizens so this might be right up your ally but I just wanted to warn you. Now this is just my opinion so take that as one guy's opinion but others there felt the same.

The further away the younger the age. Army last year this is accurate for. The away in Seattle two years ago averaged in the 50s. If you can find something unofficial or going with a big enough group it is probably better.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
The further away the younger the age. Army last year this is accurate for. The away in Seattle two years ago averaged in the 50s. If you can find something unofficial or going with a big enough group it is probably better.
50 you sure I was there right across the street from the stadium. 50 didn't seem right but hey you get the point.

Agree-- don't spend on the alumni tailgate which is always too expensive and not worth the money

I have been to the alumni tailgate at the Fresno State game and it was a lot of fun. Met some good people. One even let my 14 month old daughter and wife sit in their car since it was a hot day. I for one, disagree and recommend the alumni tailgate.

I've been to the official Rutgers tailgate a few times at away games . I always thought it was run well . At Nebraska my group (mostly under 35 ) was definitely one of the younger ones . The other attendees kept giving drink tickets to us because we 'looked like we could use them ' lol . We couldnt keep up with the free drinks . So I would say we had a pretty good time .

The problem is if you are a student of the game , and want to actually see the game, the visitors are usually stuck in the worst seats in the house, which is why I usually forego sitting in the RU section . If I'm spending a lot of money going to an away game , I actually want to be able to SEE THE GAME. Sooooo call up the ticket office and find our the section, and if in a crappy section buy your own on Stubhub. First game against an OOC team for UW, in early Sept , should be good seats available at a reasonable price.
------------
the only thing is, that if RU were to win, it is much better in the RU section.... some of my best road trips were sitting in a solid RU section that rocked (Arkansas, Maryland,Washington state).... of course, for home games, I sit as close to the 50 as possible....but my advice is to sit with the RU fans away.

I have been to the alumni tailgate at the Fresno State game and it was a lot of fun. Met some good people. One even let my 14 month old daughter and wife sit in their car since it was a hot day. I for one, disagree and recommend the alumni tailgate.

You brought a 14 month old to a tailgate?

11am kickoff. Might as well join the alumni tailgate. I'm sure it will be good. I've been to many and they are fine

I went to the tailgate in Seattle for the WSU game and was surprised that it was so AARP dominated. I'm also a senior citizen but was expecting a lot younger crowd. What surprised was that I didn't know one single alum that was there, but did meet some fine people. The party itself was a good way to start things off and I plan to go to the UW event as well. This time I'm bringing a fellow alum along with our wives .

Living in CA was a great decision in many ways, but one drawback is that I do not get that many chances to see Rutgers football. Yes, it did take 3 and a half hours, but it was one of the few times that I can drive (not fly) to see Rutgers football. (Got my wife to agree with that line.) Unfortunately, we had to walk back to the hotel in the 3rd quarter because my daughter got tired and cranky. I'm still waiting for the game against UCLA (or even the Rose Bowl).

Older people at the tailgates is merely a function of money. They are generally wealthier than youngsters and can more easily afford road games. Retirement also makes it easier to travel.

Reactions: MrsScrew

The average age is high because you young whippersnappers keep hiding your wives and 14-month olds in cars. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (BTW Happy Father's Day)

87 was a bit of an exaggeration, but yeah, the average is above retirement age for most of these tailgates. As pointed out above, the average tends to drop for further venues. But the average still is in the 50's, with more 30 & 40 year olds attending. I've been to a few and don't remember seeing many people less than 30 (unless they brought their kids or grandkids).

Reactions: Peteyd and eceres
I went to the tailgate in Seattle for the WSU game and was surprised that it was so AARP dominated. I'm also a senior citizen but was expecting a lot younger crowd. What surprised was that I didn't know one single alum that was there, but did meet some fine people. The party itself was a good way to start things off and I plan to go to the UW event as well. This time I'm bringing a fellow alum along with our wives .
----
I have been to many away official tailgates...... As mentioned it is with mostly older folks, decent enough food... But a more mellow atmosphere..... The only official tailgate that rocked was the Arizona state bowl, which officially was the best one RU ever had...... Epic

If you are looking for a loud boisterous tailgate, this ain't it.... But it is better than trying to find a tailgate with others blindly in a lot....

If someone here arranges something at a bar, which has happened on occasion, that would be a louder, younger crowd. Nuts has done it several times, for which we all are grateful.

I have been to a number of the away game events and I thought they were fun. They are admittedly not like meeting a dozen friends at a bar but you do meet some interesting folks. I was at Washington State last year and I thought they did a decent job. Regarding where to sit, there is nothing like being in the Rutgers section since you are with dedicated fans. The Rutgers section at the Washington State game two years ago was jumping.

Older people at the tailgates is merely a function of money. They are generally wealthier than youngsters and can more easily afford road games. Retirement also makes it easier to travel.
This has shown in the past six months if you know what I mean.

JMO- Get tickets through the ticket office. You'll be in the Rutgers section. they are usually horrible seats - but it's always fun to be with other RU fans at these away games.

I've been to the Alumni Pre-game tailgate a few times. I agree, they are usually (relatively) expensive and the food is modest. But, it's something I think everyone should do at least once at an away game (it did it at the Texas Bowl and one of the Navy away games).

As I recall - the tailgate at Fresno State was much more ad hoc then other pre-planned alumni events. It wasn't actually run by the University but by one of the West Coast Alumni groups (No Cal. I think) - and was much more casual. I thought it was great (besides it being 199-degrees prior to game time :)

In Seattle a couple years ago - there was a happy hour the day before the game (but that was run by the Seattle BigTen Alumni Association and just happened to be the day before our game) - it was very cool that there were so many RU fans at was must have been one of the very first BigTen Alumni events anywhere in the country for RU. The day of the game, there was a RU tailgate at a restaurant near the stadium. While I didn't attend the "official" food/drink section (it was fenced off for those that paid) - the restaurant was filled with RU fans. It was fun.

Reactions: eceres
There's someone on the board putting together a "sailgate," with a few spots left on the boat. Roughly your age. Send me an e-mail at "rutgersclub.sfo" at gmail and I'll put you in touch with him if you're interested.

RU section is 101.
Tickets are $80 per .
We are thinking of going to the RU Tailgate prior to the game.
Remember it's a 11:00am kickoff

What a shocker from someone like you.
I brought Tyler when he was 6 months old - do you have an issue with that?

What a shocker from someone like you.

I brought Tyler when he was 6 months old - do you have an issue with that?
Someone like me Mr Moderator what does that mean? Use your ignore Mr Moderator if my opinions are not to your liking but thanks for not deleting yet another opinion that does not go with what you agree with in your little message board kingdom.

I have brought my son to every Rutgers home game and tailgate - both pre and post game - and many many away game tailgates starting at age 14 months (started him on Rutgers hoops even earlier at 4 months). Next month he will turn 16 and he is an absolute sports nut and knows Rutgers football and basketball WAY better than I ever will.

Alumni tailgate can be fun. Cheerleaders and assorted dignataries show up. Was at the one at Arkansas a few years back and Tim Pernetti addressed the group and strongly hinted about B1G move. That was exciting.

ADVERTISEMENT