ADVERTISEMENT

Watch Rutgers v Notre Dame 1996

Maybe it was the weather and the score but wasn’t in awe of the whole “experience” being out there.

Was at that game as well. Won’t be watching our highlights.

Game aside, I actually thought it was a great college football experience for various reasons; the history, the fans who were inviting and friendly and actually invited me to numerous tailgates and after parties and the fans that I sat around were incredibly knowledgeable about not just football but our team. Of course it helps that they knew there was no way we would beat them. I still say it was the best 62-0 game I have been to.

Reactions: dcardinale
Game aside, I actually thought it was a great college football experience for various reasons; the history, the fans who were inviting and friendly and actually invited me to numerous tailgates and after parties and the fans that I sat around were incredibly knowledgeable about not just football but our team. Of course it helps that they knew there was no way we would beat them. I still say it was the best 62-0 game I have been to.

Also went to that game and had the exact opposite experience. Fans weren't inviting at all. Nothing like Nebraska, Iowa, Wiscy or even PSU. It was a brutally cold dark weekend. Many if not most tailgates shut down way early. RU tailgates have a lot more heart. We were mocked and fans were so condescending. Lou Holtz' last game so they took glee in running up the score even more than usual. I had such high hopes but may be my least enjoyable road loss and sadly I have been to many.

Didn't Holtz tell his team prior to the game, "We're going to have fun today, fellas" or something to that effect ?

I also seem to recall we sported a different helmet for that game. The scarlet knight head, perhaps ?

Was at the game as well. No interest in watching that one again. On the Friday walk thru for the team we met coach Shea getting off the bus at the stadium and he spoke with us for 5 minutes. Nice guy but in way over his head as coach here.

Reactions: redking
I still have an unused ticket for the game as one of my friends couldn't make it.
I also have the original NBC tape,plus some of the radio broadcast.

I have the “commemorative” t-shirt they made since it was the last game in the old Notre Dame Stadium.

Never worn.

Reactions: megadrone
I have the “commemorative” t-shirt they made since it was the last game in the old Notre Dame Stadium.

Never worn.
Ha! I bought that also. Never worn. Don't think I still have it though.

Ha! I bought that also. Never worn. Don't think I still have it though.
The only thing I missed out on was the pin Notre Dame makes for every game.

Someone in the memorabilia thread found it for me online but it was so blah, the worst one they made that season, I passed.

Last edited:
There are NO "BEST 62-0 GAMES" when RU has the "0". NONE.:Skull: :Dead:

Also went to that game and had the exact opposite experience. Fans weren't inviting at all. Nothing like Nebraska, Iowa, Wiscy or even PSU. It was a brutally cold dark weekend. Many if not most tailgates shut down way early. RU tailgates have a lot more heart. We were mocked and fans were so condescending. Lou Holtz' last game so they took glee in running up the score even more than usual. I had such high hopes but may be my least enjoyable road loss and sadly I have been to many.
I was there too. Their QB Paulus sp? was trying to set a record of some kind that day. He was acting like a spoiled little girl until he got his record. What struck me the most was the total size mismatch of our and ND's O and D lines. We were weeds among trees.

I still have an unused ticket for the game as one of my friends couldn't make it.
I also have the original NBC tape,plus some of the radio broadcast.

Look for the pop made by a crushing hit made by our Safety Shawn Seabrooks.
I hear it all the way up in the 60th row. one of our few highlights of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT