ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Watched Cliff Omoruyi tonight....

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
I think people see a project because right now he has a very limited offensive range. But he is still a kid and can expand that.

He is not a project. I was at the game as well today & this past Sunday. I have seen him play about 8 times over the last 3 years. He blocks shots and rebounds very well. He rarely gets the ball thrown to me. He is an extremely athletic and talented player. He would improve a great deal with our coaches. I hope he realizes that RU might be the best place for him.

Reactions: TRU2RU
First clip I've seen of him. He's certainly not a stiff and looks plenty athletic enough to develop some moves.

Just got home from watching Clifford Omoruyi and his Roselle Catholic team, as they went on to beat a highly ranked Elizabeth team, 68-63. Here's a link to the premium story with Cliff and his head coach talking recruiting and also a look at the quick highlight tape I was able to put together from the game.

Omoruyi had 8 points, 7 rebounds, and 6 blocks.

https://rutgers.rivals.com/news/the-latest-on-rutgers-hoops-top-target-big-man-clifford-omoruyi

It's funny to me watching these clips as in the 60s, Roselle Catholic's gym was the envy of Union County basketball. I believe that the UCT semis and finals were played there every year until Elizabeth H.S. opened up.
Now it looks almost sub standard compare some of the new places. But then again that was over 50 years ago.
Time marches on. :Unhappy:

People who think 6'11" 18 year olds should move like point guards and shoot like wings, think he's a project. People who see that he needs to use his length and adjust his footwork, polish one or two post moves see him as a one-and-done. You don't know how much a project Patrick Ewing was. If he were James Wiseman, he would not have RU on his list.

My main agruement to him would be that if you go to Kentucky, they will be looking to recruit over you. You can get buried and tranfering will mean it will take you three or four years to get what you should have gotten in one or two at RU. Two revenue years could leave million$ on the table.

If you watch tape of Daniel Oturu in high school I doubt you'll see many (if any) jump shots. Even as a freshman last year he shot only two of them. Now this year he's 10-28 and a legitimate threat. Big guys can add this stuff to their game.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Get that young man in the weight room and let Pike get him coached up he will be a terror in the B1G. Love the way he quickly gets the outlet pass to his PG and runs the floor every time he gets the rebound. That team is looking to run on every miss and push the tempo.....remind you of any other team???

C' mon Cliff get 'er done.

Big men require professional coaching more than any other position - that really does not happen before the college level. Footwork, hip pivot, establishing position down low, boxing out, etc has so many intricacies. If he has size, athleticism and coordination, and is coachable, he would be a great building block. But, be patient with big men.

Reactions: Good-Knight
Crazy athleticism. He could play in the NBA as just a rebounder and shot blocker. But he has some much more potential, similar to Joel Embied who picked up basketball late. He just needs to have more reps with the ball in his hands. I wonder if he would've been better off at less talented high school where the team was forced to play offense through him. It doesn't look like he's getting many chances to post up from those highlights.

What kind of gym was that...defintely not 94 feet.

He reminds me of a center we have currently on our team.

My main agruement to him would be that if you go to Kentucky, they will be looking to recruit over you. You can get buried and tranfering will mean it will take you three or four years to get what you should have gotten in one or two at RU. Two revenue years could leave million$ on the table.

GREAT point.

Think of the transformation of Shaq Doorson. Cliff could have a trajectory like that, except with his current skill and athleticism, as a freshman he’d be starting out where Shaq left off.

I loved what Shaq D gave us for the minutes he played, especially his senior year. If as a freshman Cliff gives us the huge presence in the paint, blocking and altering shots, plus rebounding and occasional dunks for points, not to mention getting fouled and scoring from the FT line, it would be just what we need next year.

Watched that one game, Roselle Catholic vs The Patrick School. They had the lead for 2 1/2 quarters, then the Patrick School took over. Cliff has a college ready body already and would be a perfect fit in Pike's system. He would be a plug-in replacement for Shaq Carter's role plus some. Cliff is the last piece in taking that next step. If Cliff doesn't come, I guess Doucoure will fill that slot or plan B- Josh Gray or Osborn Shema. I'd prefer Cliff, though.

Watched that one game, Roselle Catholic vs The Patrick School. They had the lead for 2 1/2 quarters, then the Patrick School took over. Cliff has a college ready body already and would be a perfect fit in Pike's system. He would be a plug-in replacement for Shaq Carter's role plus some. Cliff is the last piece in taking that next step. If Cliff doesn't come, I guess Doucoure will fill that slot or plan B- Josh Gray or Osborn Shema. I'd prefer Cliff, though.
We could use another shooter, but Cliff coming onboard should be enough.

Pike and staff have demonstrated that they are very good at installing a system and developing talent. And, Rutgers now has an elite facility in the Performance Athletic Center. As Greg said, stay home Cliff and be a legend!!!

The Roselle Catholic court is 94 feet. Nzei Reed never worked that hard. He often seemed very lazy. He had a lot of talent. Cliff is all energy whenever he is on the court. I believe at RU working with Steve and our other coaches and Dave our S & C coach he will become a monster. He will develop a jumper and will get so much stronger. Right now he can jump over the backboard.He also can really run the floor, rebound, block shots and immediately pass the ball after getting a rebound.

Naz wanted to be a perimeter player. Was more polished offensively. Cliff is still young to the game. But with coaching he could dominate games defensively while his offense game evolves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT