ADVERTISEMENT

Watching Other teams extra man

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
The good ones use the crease player as a distributor. They pass the ball into the middle not as shot opportunity but to collapse the d who is then able to pass immediately out to shooters on the wing.

I wish we did this.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Agreed. Kids today are so athletic and can cover ground so quickly that you need to keep the ball hot and utilize anything to get the defense moving in the wrong direction.

A testament to lacrosse players today is that opposing short sticks can run step for step with a good division 1 defensive back(Dante Trader) so that he just looks like one of the guys.

Last edited:
That sounds just like basketball 101 on how to break down a 2-3 zone. Get the ball to a good distributor at the foul line. When the D adjusts to cover that man, someone else can be open down low for a better shot. If nobody collapses, then the guy with the ball has the chance to shoot.

I don't know lacrosse well but from the games I've watched this season, too many of our stalled possessions look like the passing is just to give someone else a chance to beat his man one on one. That's the same thing our basketball O looks like when it gets stagnant: not passing with a purpose to create a scoring opportunity, just passing to see if the next guy can do something with the ball.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
Is it just me, or are there fewer skip passes being made during the stretch of Big 10 games. That would also correlate with the drop in Kulas' scoring.

Is it just me, or are there fewer skip passes being made during the stretch of Big 10 games. That would also correlate with the drop in Kulas' scoring.
There’s been less ball movement all around. I was excited watching some of the early season games with crisp passing. Would love to see off ball movement and picks, but ball movement stopped considerably once conference action started.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Agreed. Kids today are so athletic and can cover ground so quickly that you need to keep the ball hot and utilize anything to get the defense moving in the wrong direction.

A testament to lacrosse players today is that opposing short sticks can run step for step with a good division 1 defensive back(Dante Trader) so that he just looks like one of the guys.
Always makes me laugh when guys who don’t know anything say they can play D1 lacrosse. Have a few on this site actually.

That and he hasn't gotten as much run recently which is understandable as most here would agree that we needed to try new pieces.

At this point I would rotate him back into a more considerable role as without Cameron I think Kulas probably has the best shot from over 12 yards out.

Always makes me laugh when guys who don’t know anything say they can play D1 lacrosse. Have a few on this site actually.
I’ll gladly confess that if you put me on the field, I’d be standing there stationary trying to figure out where the ball went while the player ran by me to score. I can toss the ball with a stick, but it has a 50/50 chance (or less) at landing where I aimed. Nothing but respect for lacrosse players.

Reactions: Caliknight
I honestly go back and forth on what is more difficult. Dodging on a 6 foot 3 inch 220 lb stud holding a 72 inch stick and can run a 4.6-4.7 and has watched my film or defending a dodger who can shoot with both hands and probably runs a 4.4-4.5 and knows how to set me up. This sport is CRAZY hard. There's not a big lumbering dude on the field....anywhere. Ridiculous speed and skill all over the field.

I honestly go back and forth on what is more difficult. Dodging on a 6 foot 3 inch 220 lb stud holding a 72 inch stick and can run a 4.6-4.7 and has watched my film or defending a dodger who can shoot with both hands and probably runs a 4.4-4.5 and knows how to set me up. This sport is CRAZY hard. There's not a big lumbering dude on the field....anywhere. Ridiculous speed and skill all over the field.

I am not one of these guys who thinks the era I played in was even close to what I see now.

Everything has gotten better. Coaching, equipment, training, commitment.

The size and speed of these athletes now, when I am field level, is vastly different than I used to see on the field.

Like every sport, the game has evolved.

If you took the Maryland team last year, and they played with the equipment they have now, they'd smoke every great team before them.

I am not one of these guys who thinks the era I played in was even close to what I see now.

The size and speed of these athletes now, when I am field level, is vastly different than I used to see on the field.

Like every sport, the game has evolved.

If you took the Maryland team last year, and they played with the equipment they have now, they'd smoke every great team before them.
At the HS level, I'm seeing more and more kids ditching baseball in the spring for lax as it does a fantastic job keeping kids in playing shape for sports like football, soccer, ice hockey, basketball, etc.

[/QUOTE]

And DEPTH !!! The #20 team from back in the day would lose to the 2023 #20 by 10-12 goals.

Gotta quibble a bit with that. Give what I would consider the Top 5 great teams 2023 equipment and they'd give Maryland a game. Ironically, one of them was Maryland 1976.

And DEPTH !!! The #20 team from back in the day would lose to the 2023 #20 by 10-12 goals.

Gotta quibble a bit with that. Give what I would consider the Top 5 great teams 2023 equipment and they'd give Maryland a game. Ironically, one of them was Maryland 1976.
[/QUOTE]
here is the other question, Give the 2022 Maryland team 1976 equipment and could they play in that era?

I just can't believe that.

Those guys were drinking beer at half time sometimes lol

The training, the nutrition, like all sports, it's just on a different level now. Not to say there weren't great players. Definitely there were. There are just more of them now and they are better trained.

It's really a different game.

here is the other question, Give the 2022 Maryland team 1976 equipment and could they play in that era?
[/QUOTE]

Give them 2 or 3 games to get accustomed then yes. The talent is clearly there.

I just can't believe that.

Those guys were drinking beer at half time sometimes lol

The training, the nutrition, like all sports, it's just on a different level now. Not to say there weren't great players. Definitely there were. There are just more of them now and they are better trained.

It's really a different game.

More now? Absolutely. And if Cornell, Maryland some of those Syracuse teams were drinking beer at the half then a lot of teams should have altered their training regimen.

At the HS level I want to illustrate again just how much the sport has grown in such a short time. My sons team played Red Bank Regional yesterday. In the Shore conference 20 years ago most schools didn't even field a team. Ten years ago you would find D1 kids only on a select few teams in the conference like RFH, CBA, etc. Yesterday, RBR had THREE D1 middies actually committed and i'm told a 4th may have been at a different position. That's crazy to see that evolution/growth of the game in my eyes.

At the HS level I want to illustrate again just how much the sport has grown in such a short time. My sons team played Red Bank Regional yesterday. In the Shore conference 20 years ago most schools didn't even field a team. Ten years ago you would find D1 kids only on a select few teams in the conference like RFH, CBA, etc. Yesterday, RBR had THREE D1 middies actually committed and i'm told a 4th may have been at a different position. That's crazy to see that evolution/growth of the game in my eyes.

50 years ago, Fair Lawn had the only team in Bergen County. And the total number of teams in the state, including preps, was around 30. The Shore Conference didn't exist. But they did have talent. The '71 Fair Lawn team put out a player who saw significant PT with Maryland and a future UNC team captain. And the ACC and Ivies both recruited Montclair. The surge really began in the 80's and only slowed when most schools had programs.

The game has evolved just like every sport.

Lacrosse is no different. Georgia would manhandle those SC or ND teams from the 70s.

It’s the same in lacrosse. Everything is better now including the athletes.

And in another 30 years the same will be true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT