ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT: Central Jersey Hockey Players?

mikebal9

All American
Oct 15, 2005
Bound Brook
I've been playing dek hockey (otherwise known as floor hockey, or to some, street hockey) since I was about 9. I currently play on Tuesday nights at Inman sports complex in Edison. Our team is looking a little short this season. We lost three guys to various injuries and life changes and we need to add some new blood. League fees are normally about $100-120 per person, depending on roster size.
If you have hockey experience and want to get back into the game, send me an email at mikebal9@yahoo.com. We are fairly competitive and it's very physically demanding. Having played on skates, I can tell you this is way harder physically, so be aware of that first. But if you currently play and want another night of run, or if you're looking to get back into it, come out tonight for our first game of the new season. No pressure, no money due on your trial run. If you make it through the first game without puking and you want to stay, you're in.

I've been playing dek hockey (otherwise known as floor hockey, or to some, street hockey) since I was about 9. I currently play on Tuesday nights at Inman sports complex in Edison. Our team is looking a little short this season. We lost three guys to various injuries and life changes and we need to add some new blood. League fees are normally about $100-120 per person, depending on roster size.
If you have hockey experience and want to get back into the game, send me an email at mikebal9@yahoo.com. We are fairly competitive and it's very physically demanding. Having played on skates, I can tell you this is way harder physically, so be aware of that first. But if you currently play and want another night of run, or if you're looking to get back into it, come out tonight for our first game of the new season. No pressure, no money due on your trial run. If you make it through the first game without puking and you want to stay, you're in.
My guy friend plays (by us in Essex Co) I give you guys credit!:ThumbsUp

My guy friend plays (by us in Essex Co) I give you guys credit!:ThumbsUp
Yea, my wife sometimes thinks I'm nuts, especially when the games are late. We've had a lot of young guys join and they don't make it through a game. It's crazy because they're obviously in much better shape than I am. It's just a different kind of endurance.

Reactions: Jm0513
I've probably seen you a bunch of times before, I helped John out with scorekeeping and pressing jerseys about 10 years ago, and I've been playing roller there on and off for over 20 years going back to when it was just the now decrepit outdoor rink behind the building. We had two teams in the 8U division back then. My team was losing every game and I remember telling my coach he should make some trades lol. We finally pulled off a tie in the last game of the season and we felt like champs. Eventually the people in the neighboring condos complained about the refs blowing whistles, so they had to yell "stop" to stop play. That obviously wasn't ideal so in 1996 or 1997 they built the nice indoor rink on top of the tennis courts.

Dek hockey is definitely a whole different beast than roller though. Taking away the skating means that even the guys with the best hands and shot aren't that effective if they don't have the cardio to keep moving all game. I played goalie in a street hockey league in high school, and the way that ball curves makes goaltending even harder than it is with a puck. A shot from the blue line can start out going high glove and end up low blocker by the time it gets to the net.

I've probably seen you a bunch of times before, I helped John out with scorekeeping and pressing jerseys about 10 years ago, and I've been playing roller there on and off for over 20 years going back to when it was just the now decrepit outdoor rink behind the building. We had two teams in the 8U division back then. My team was losing every game and I remember telling my coach he should make some trades lol. We finally pulled off a tie in the last game of the season and we felt like champs. Eventually the people in the neighboring condos complained about the refs blowing whistles, so they had to yell "stop" to stop play. That obviously wasn't ideal so in 1996 or 1997 they built the nice indoor rink on top of the tennis courts.

Dek hockey is definitely a whole different beast than roller though. Taking away the skating means that even the guys with the best hands and shot aren't that effective if they don't have the cardio to keep moving all game. I played goalie in a street hockey league in high school, and the way that ball curves makes goaltending even harder than it is with a puck. A shot from the blue line can start out going high glove and end up low blocker by the time it gets to the net.
So funny that you mention the curving ball. Last season I curved one around a defenseman and in, directly over the glove hand. I had no intention of doing so, but it looked incredible and my teammates and I got a good laugh when I told them that I had planned it that way.
It's definitely a totally different game with a different skill set. It looks like as of now, we're playing with no subs tonight. The cardio will be tested for sure, but I don't mind it.

Reactions: robcac26
So funny that you mention the curving ball. Last season I curved one around a defenseman and in, directly over the glove hand. I had no intention of doing so, but it looked incredible and my teammates and I got a good laugh when I told them that I had planned it that way.
It's definitely a totally different game with a different skill set. It looks like as of now, we're playing with no subs tonight. The cardio will be tested for sure, but I don't mind it.
That's rough, I'd offer to help if I were available. I haven't run that much in ages though, I'd probably be spent after a couple shifts.

Normally yes but I am currently playing in 3 different Ice Hockey leagues in NJ.

Normally yes but I am currently playing in 3 different Ice Hockey leagues in NJ.
Where do you play? I haven’t played in about 8 years but before that bounced around leagues and open hockey in Union and Essex counties. I’ve been wanting to get back in, starting with Sat night opens at Union sports Arena and the new rink in Westfield.

@RU Cheese might be a option. Led his team in scoring in the NYCGHA in Chelsea last season. Think he said he has a figure skating background but heard he made the the transition toice and roller a few years back.

What do you say cheese

@RU Cheese might be a option. Led his team in scoring in the NYCGHA in Chelsea last season. Think he said he has a figure skating background but heard he made the the transition toice and roller a few years back.

What do you say cheese
Yawn. Aren't you the guy who played on Bruce Drivers league team who bragged about seeing him in the showers? Fact check: you are...

Ahhh street hockey, brings back memories. I dominated on the road but was terrible on skates. In sneakers I had the hardest and most accurate shot in town and could handle the ball like a dream. Once the skates were on I was a completely different player.

Yawn. Aren't you the guy who played on Bruce Drivers league team who bragged about seeing him in the showers? Fact check: you are...
What the F are you talking about cheese. Never met the guy and why would i be in his shower.
Nice try buddy. You learn that at northwestern

I'd love to, but way too far away LOL. My hockey these days is pretty much restricted to coaching 6-8 year olds. But don't be fooled, up here they start young, and some of these buggers are FAST. Plus they'll bean you with a wrist shot if you get in their way. If you don't have shin guards on it hurts like a *(&*&%*. I have a 6 year old who can take slap shots top corner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT