ADVERTISEMENT

WBB teams with the largest social media following in each State

Not a lot of surprises. As my wife said, winners and schools with strong alumni identity are well represented.

I was surprised to see ASU as the top one in Arizona, and Louisville over UK in Kentucky.
ASU's WBB program has been considered a good one under Charli Turner Thorne
and with her 447-247 W-L record brings in great PR for the program along with 14 NCAA appearances in her 22 years there.

UofA's Wildcat WBB program wasn't thought as highly as the Sun Devils until recently, but under Adia Barnes they now are getting more of a following
Before Adia arrived the last time the Wildcats made post season was the WNIT in the 2010-11 season under Nyia Butts who had a 102-147 record in her 8 years there.

Last edited:
I was surprised to see ASU as the top one in Arizona, and Louisville over UK in Kentucky.
Louisville is a better team than UK, has more of a following in person, and to whatever degree it matters, is no slacker in Men's BB as to crossover fans.

As to out here, ASU is much larger than Arizona; the Arizona women have only attracted a following since they were in the WNIT in 2019, and winning it and playing all 6 games at home helped attract that following. Before that . . ., while ASU has had longstanding success.

I saw a Niya Butts mention. Her ongoing futility turned fans touting her when we arrived in 2011 to fans giving up their season tix. Adia OTH is very social media savvy, so this survey might not be the same in a few more years.

Not really surprised on Louisville. They've made the tourney 14 of the last 15 seasons in more competitive conferences, including 5 Elite 8 trips, 3 trips to the Final Four, and 2 to the NC game... with just 1 losing season in the past 26 years. Kentucky has made the tourney 10 of the last 15 years, and topped out in the Elite 8 three times and have only started having winning seasons the last 15 years after a long stretch of terrible results (from 1995-2004, they were 102-152).

No surprise. And, actually, most of the states are no surprise. Maybe Illinois, given that the Illini are no better than the 3rd-best program in the state and that the other two are much nearer the big population center, but that's about it.

I wasn't surprised either. Strong teams will always be at the top. Despite this, I think they should have a person who will work with their social media pages. Because people expect bright and memorable publications. I also have an instagram page dedicated to sports, but I'm not popular, so few people know about my page. To be honest, I would like to change that. But I will need to use various tricks to do this. For example, I found out information about how to buy instagram likes. And I will have to use these services to make my sports page popular.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT