ADVERTISEMENT

We have made Naz Reid's Final 10

rutger80

Senior
Oct 14, 2013
Marietta, GA
C_6pIlEXsAE7-LJ.jpg

The usual suspects on there. Of note...we are the only B1G team; no St. John's; LSU(?)

Where are the people that said he was definitely a St. John's lean?
He wanted to stay local due to his mom and St. John's was in there along with seton hall. Believe the new staff surpassed them and ability to make more of an impact with Rutgers changed that. Wildcard here is definitely UNC. He's long coveted that offer from the Tarheels. Making the final 10 is great, we haven't been there with our top state prospects in a while.

Reactions: Underdogs88
He wanted to stay local due to his mom and St. John's was in there along with seton hall. Believe the new staff surpassed them and ability to make more of an impact with Rutgers changed that. Wildcard here is definitely UNC. He's long coveted that offer from the Tarheels. Making the final 10 is great, we haven't been there with our top state prospects in a while.
It's as a courtesy to Pikiell. He's not coming here.

There was a poster not to long ago who said they were affiliated with his AAu program and he knew for a FACT that St. John's was in it and RU was well behind them if being considered at all.

Reactions: biazza38 and Scangg
There was a poster not to long ago who said they were affiliated with his AAu program and he knew for a FACT that St. John's was in it and RU was well behind them if being considered at all.
The st. johns posters like mtch don't show up unless its to brag about something or bad news about rutgers, so you won't find them in this thread.

That is exactly what I was referring to. There also was a guy from St. John's who stated that Reid would definitely choose St. John's over RU. Way back in December I believe we were told by Jerry Carino that it appeared as if Naz would stay local and it could possibly come down to Seton Hall, St. john's and RU and from what he heard RU seemed to be in the lead. Now that was 5 months ago and I would not be surprised that Naz would go to a blue blood in another part of the country but that is what we were told 5 months ago. My point was that a St. John's guy is often coming to our site as if the Johnnies are so superior to RU and that a kid would probably never look at RU over SJU. SJU has problems of their own and that is what that guy should be concerned about.

Reactions: Scangg
Good news.

Got to be in it to win it....just like with Jalen

Bet we hang around here for a while...and SP gets a chance somewhere in this recruiting cycle to get Naz and Jalen in a room together and at least pitch the idea that will at least make hem pause for a minute ....that if you come with Doucoure and Mathis (especially if we can get this done earlier in the cycle)...that we have a top 5 class and you guys can be remembered as the legacy that put Rutgers basketball back on the national map....

One of Naz Reid's best friends is Bullock, lots of talk that he wants to stay local, Pikiell has a great relationship with RC coach Boff and Pikiell and staff did a great job developing ex-RC player Warney. All these things gives Rutgers a fighting chance.

It's as a courtesy to Pikiell. He's not coming here.
You saying that because of the list of teams on there, like UK and KU or you know something? Last thing I read is that he is not top priority for either of those teams... but I get my news from the same places as most... google searches.

One of Naz Reid's best friends is Bullock, lots of talk that he wants to stay local, Pikiell has a great relationship with RC coach Boff and Pikiell and staff did a great job developing ex-RC player Warney. All these things gives Rutgers a fighting chance.

lots of 'ifs' need to line up - but 'if' they do - wow
- if Pikiell & Co can lay out a convincing plan that shows how they will enable a thoroughbred like Reed run & excel (and not just hook him up to a plow to do all the work)
- if it becomes plausible that the pieces to make this plan work are going to be on campus
-if Naz Reed becomes intrigued with the idea of becoming a New York Metro Market superstar - .. & currently there is - and has been a vacuum in the NYC area when it comes to genuine college basketball stars - and in a vacuum - a dazzling star from Rutgers would become king
Reed is class of 2018 - so another huge 'if' - - if Pikiell and find a way to make his convincing case in time to impact Reed's decision -

One time! Can we just catch this one break and land him please. Let's hope he does want to stay local with teams like nova and st John's not making the cut.

Reactions: Arizona Knight
- if Pikiell & Co can lay out a convincing plan that shows how they will enable a thoroughbred like Reed run & excel (and not just hook him up to a plow to do all the work)
- if it becomes plausible that the pieces to make this plan work are going to be on campus
-if Naz Reed becomes intrigued with the idea of becoming a New York Metro Market superstar - .. & currently there is - and has been a vacuum in the NYC area when it comes to genuine college basketball stars - and in a vacuum - a dazzling star from Rutgers would become king
Reed is class of 2018 - so another huge 'if' - - if Pikiell and find a way to make his convincing case in time to impact Reed's decision -

Let's hope Pikiell and those speaking to him know how to spell his name :)

it's *Reid*

Reactions: RUMBA-JK

I really like the point you made about Reid " becoming a New York/NJ Metro Market superstar". This area certainly lacks an individual player with star power in College Basketball.

I really like the point you made about Reid " becoming a New York/NJ Metro Market superstar". This area certainly lacks an individual player with star power in College Basketball.

I think this could be a big selling point. Rutgers as much as people rag on them, became a national sensation in 06 for football. It could easily do the same in basketball for a year due to NY media market.

From the sound of the article, it sounds like he is awaiting for an offer from UK.

It would be amazing, fantastic, wonderful, terrific if by some miracle he came here.
But if anyone has any expectations that he actually will, you're either delusional or have been asleep for 25 years.

I love everything Pike is doing, but we'll have to do a lot more on the court in terms of Ws and Ls before a guy with those kinds of offers has the stones to go completely against the grain and stay home. Can you imagine the astronomical amount of abuse he'd get on Twitter if he actually committed to Rutgers? He's get roasted. RU would get roasted with "suck" "dumpster fire" and all the other smart-ass comments about football and basketball that populate that cesspool.

I'm sure Naz is a fine, young man but with rare exceptions these kids are followers, front-runners who want to play for a brand name and easily influenced by their peers and handlers. It's a fantasy to think RU is going to get him.

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
UConn, SHU, and Rutgers are 3 relatively local schools.

Then he has the big boys. I can see 1 of the locals making the final 5 as a fall back in the case where the big boys have players in front of him coming back that may limit his playing time.

Unless RU can show major progress this year it will be tough to get this kid.

The only exception would be if he signs early in November, which I doubt. As a top 20 recruit he would want to see each program and their depth chart before he commits. The april signing period will allow him to see who leaves early and the depth chart of each school.

http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/future.html

Still affiliated with the AAU program and at the time of the post SJU and SHU were very much in the race as locals for Nazi to stay local due to his mom seeing him play and as I stated in this thread earlier it speaks volumes of pikiell and staff to come from way behind in this race due to previous staff and there being a nonexistent relationship with Rutgers and Nazi. Much respect to the grind of our staff. Have seen an Rutgers coach front and center at each our games on the UAA circuit during live period.

And those wondering about LSU, they are involved due to his relationship with the girl Raven Farley from queen of peace who is going there to play basketball who was an all American who got out of state for women's basketball

Like I said above ....got Doucoure...Mathis

Then you sit down Carey and Reid and make your sales pitch to join those two....making it a legit top 5 class...and be the ones to put Rutgers on the map.

Reactions: Scangg and biazza38
I like Scarlet Shacks thoughts. If we ever landed Mathis I think this would give us a much better chance of getting a huge recruiting class.

That is exactly what I was referring to. There also was a guy from St. John's who stated that Reid would definitely choose St. John's over RU. Way back in December I believe we were told by Jerry Carino that it appeared as if Naz would stay local and it could possibly come down to Seton Hall, St. john's and RU and from what he heard RU seemed to be in the lead. Now that was 5 months ago and I would not be surprised that Naz would go to a blue blood in another part of the country but that is what we were told 5 months ago. My point was that a St. John's guy is often coming to our site as if the Johnnies are so superior to RU and that a kid would probably never look at RU over SJU. SJU has problems of their own and that is what that guy should be concerned about.
I wouldn't get my hopes up on this one. I'm more hyped about the sg from Baltimore.

Reactions: NewJerseyHawk
Ray, Where did I say my hopes are up? If you read my comment just above that I said if we should get Mathis (kid from Baltimore) I could see it leading to a much better class. I have wanted Mathis since we first contacted him. You are saying the same thing I already stated. I said if we added Mathis to Doucoure we would have two four stars already for 2018. That was my point. If you read what I wrote again, I never stated we would get Reid but I believe it gets us a better chance.

Reactions: Ray6232010

Myles is official:

"We are thrilled to welcome Myles Johnson to our Scarlet Knight family," said Pikiell. "Myles checks all the boxes we look for in a student-athlete, as we aim to build our roster to compete with the best in the Big Ten and beyond. On the court, he's a big and long shot blocker with a tremendous skill set. His ability to pass and shoot will give our frontcourt a terrific boost in those areas. His upside is off the charts and our staff is eager to help him develop his game even further once he arrives on campus. Off the court, Myles is a high character young man who comes from a wonderful family. Myles is a highly motivated student who will be a terrific ambassador for not only the Rutgers Basketball program, but the University as a whole."

Six months ago I felt like Kansas would be his final destination and while I would love to see him here I'll stick with that.

Makes sense for several reasons.

Six months ago I felt like Kansas would be his final destination and while I would love to see him here I'll stick with that.

Makes sense for several reasons.

Disagree

RU makes more sense for several reason.

Maybe we can jus take it for what it is? He has a top 10, and while I'm sure he has leans, he could end up at any of these schools?

Having followed football recruiting pretty closely the last 10 years, it's amazing what in season momentum can do to sway the minds of recruits. Let it play out.

Like some said, if we can close on one or two big time recruits, and show even better then expected progress this year on the court, maybe we can convince him to stay home

Reactions: biazza38
A 5 star recruit would have the greatest impact on Rutgers if he committed now because of the positive impact on other top tier recruits causing a snowball affect.Reid,however, isn't likely to be a leader type but rather will choose a elite school that will enhance his future in the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT