ADVERTISEMENT

We Should be playing Syracuse this werk.

jersey07080

All American
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2005
According to NJ.com we had a verbal agreement with Syracuse but Flood didn't want to lose to a local team and hurt recruiting.

Was this a bad thing? We lose to Washington, what is the down side? We lose to Syracuse, and there is a huge downside in recruiting and local press.
We beat another P5 team, particularly a ranked team, and there is huge upside. Syracuse will not be ranked for quite a while, if ever again.

That NJ.com article is written by Politi. What a douche. He is a poor man's Mushnick, looking for the edgy story.
"So instead of a very winnable game against a Syracuse team that, much like Rutgers, is starting over with a new coaching staff, the Scarlet Knights are 26-point underdogs on the road in Seattle."

Don't remember when the game with Washington was set, but how would have Flood known that Syracuse was more winnable than Washington at the time we agreed to the game?

Politi's other point was traveling a distance for an opening game. We have traveled before:

In 2005, we opened at Illinois.
In 2006, we opened at North Carolina.
In 2012 we opened at Tulane
In 2013 we opened at Fresno State.

None of the above were world beaters, but usually these schedules are set 2-4 years in advance, and Illinois or UNC could have been ranked opponents.

Funny comment under the story: "Bring back the Schiano cupcake schedule."

That NJ.com article is written by Politi. What a douche. He is a poor man's Mushnick, looking for the edgy story.
"So instead of a very winnable game against a Syracuse team that, much like Rutgers, is starting over with a new coaching staff, the Scarlet Knights are 26-point underdogs on the road in Seattle."

Don't remember when the game with Washington was set, but how would have Flood known that Syracuse was more winnable than Washington at the time we agreed to the game?

Politi's other point was traveling a distance for an opening game. We have traveled before:

In 2005, we opened at Illinois.
In 2006, we opened at North Carolina.
In 2012 we opened at Tulane
In 2013 we opened at Fresno State.

None of the above were world beaters, but usually these schedules are set 2-4 years in advance, and Illinois or UNC could have been ranked opponents.

Funny comment under the story: "Bring back the Schiano cupcake schedule."
Not to mention Wazzu in the same city! Figures that Politi wrote that garbage. What a little bitch.

Actually, not for nothing but we all heard the talk during his time here that certain schools were off limits as requested by Flood (Cuse, BC and PITT chief among them), however it was always understood that he didn't want them to have any recruiting advantages by playing us rather than being scared to lose to them. He was ok with Temple.

We played a SEC school, and scheduled the PAC-12 games and Da'U and Penn State all while he was here. So teh whole scared to lose bit, just doesn't make sense.

So this is a case of something having a grain of truth but it is not the full story.

Isn't this part of an agreement between the Big Ten and the PAC to schedule OOC games? I thought we had to schedule OOC PAC games as part of a TV deal.

Also, what a stupid premise. The argument seems to be, Rutgers should play Syracuse because I would find that more interesting. Well, tough shit. He is too dense to realize that there are very good reasons not to schedule the local teams whether we win or lose. Its not about being scared to lose. Its about not giving these teams a venue in New Jersey, where they can recruit and say, "we are right here in New York, and we have this series where we play Rutgers every year"

We will never play a long term series with Syracuse or BC for this reason.

Weren't we still in the BE / AAC and Cuse was going to the ACC when this game was scheduled? I think the worry was that with a home and home against Cuse we were putting ourselves in a situation where we were giving Cuse exposure in the NYC market that they had lost by joining the AAC. Also, they would probably fill 25% or more of the seats for the Rutgers home game at Rutgers Stadium. If the Meadowlands bought the game it would probably be 50% Cuse fans.

You also notice for the last 10+ years our FCS games were mostly against out of the area teams and not a school like Villanova, Delaware, or URI. Part was we wanted winnable games but also they didn't want the other team taking over too many seats. If we ever do go back to FCS games I would like to see Monmouth on the schedule as a local school.

Weren't we still in the BE / AAC and Cuse was going to the ACC when this game was scheduled? I think the worry was that with a home and home against Cuse we were putting ourselves in a situation where we were giving Cuse exposure in the NYC market that they had lost by joining the AAC. Also, they would probably fill 25% or more of the seats for the Rutgers home game at Rutgers Stadium. If the Meadowlands bought the game it would probably be 50% Cuse fans.

You also notice for the last 10+ years our FCS games were mostly against out of the area teams and not a school like Villanova, Delaware, or URI. Part was we wanted winnable games but also they didn't want the other team taking over too many seats. If we ever do go back to FCS games I would like to see Monmouth on the schedule as a local school.

It was never about a FCS team's fans getting too many seats.

I tend to think Rutgers would gladly take a sold out stadium in the FCS game, even if it meant 25% Delaware fans. That would be a huge windfall.

I think its been more about wanting a true preseason game against a team that is utterly overmatched in all facets of the game. We don't want it to be a real game, we want it to be a practice.

Reactions: 17Q66
Actually, not for nothing but we all heard the talk during his time here that certain schools were off limits as requested by Flood (Cuse, BC and PITT chief among them), however it was always understood that he didn't want them to have any recruiting advantages by playing us rather than being scared to lose to them. He was ok with Temple.

We played a SEC school, and scheduled the PAC-12 games and Da'U and Penn State all while he was here. So teh whole scared to lose bit, just doesn't make sense.

So this is a case of something having a grain of truth but it is not the full story.

This, and I don't think the logic is flawed either (look at what has happened to BC's presence in NJ over the last 10 years). This is one I refuse to put at Flood's feet. Maybe Politi forgot 2-5 (cuse's record at Rutgers Stadium since '99), 3-1 (Rutgers' Carrier Dome record over the last 4 games there) and 7-3 over the last 10 games in the series.

Joe P.

Let's look at recent history.

Cuse wasn't able to get 50% at Giants stadium against teams that are located hundreds/thousands of miles away. But you think they could do it against us?

Penn State, which is located closer to Piscataway and 1000x more popular than Cuse, couldn't get 25% into HPSS. But you think the Orange could?

The Syracuse fanbase fell of the football bandwagon years ago. Have a friend who was ahuge Syracuse football fan in the 1990's and early 2000's. He pinged me a week or two ago asking if I was excited for the RU football season. When I asked him the same with the dawning of the Babers' era, his reply was he was cheering for Clemson where his kid goes to college.

I don't mind playing UConn. It's not like we lose recruits to them and it's an easy trip.

It would have to be a two-for-one though! [smoke]

Agree with this. Swap Temple for UConn. Should not play them

This isn't basketball. Cuse would never have 10,000+ fans at HPSS. 1,000-2,000 maybe.

The Washington series was announced 3/14/14. Don't know how long before it was on the burner. Cuse was going into their 2nd year in the ACC and RU their first in the B1G.

He is pimping the school that is a major benefactor of his employer. Them Newhouse boys love their Orange.

Reactions: knightfan7
The Syracuse fanbase fell of the football bandwagon years ago. Have a friend who was ahuge Syracuse football fan in the 1990's and early 2000's. He pinged me a week or two ago asking if I was excited for the RU football season. When I asked him the same with the dawning of the Babers' era, his reply was he was cheering for Clemson where his kid goes to college.
There's not a big emphasis on football at Cuse. People are focused on basketball, lacrosse and Soccer, but I can tell you this, There is alot of buzz with Babers. People are getting excited,

Remember Cuse thought playing in New Jersey was so important that they had that whole series of "home" games at MetLife Stadium, which is about 5-6 hours away from their school. They lost every game badly and failed to sell many tickets and that series was cancelled.

Starving them out is ok with me. See Boston College. It works!

Temple is different since they are only 1 hour away from us, so they are already here if we play them or not. So it actually helps both schools to play each other. It helps us with South Jersey and Philly and it helps them with Central Jersey. Plus it is a quick and easy trip for both fan bases. It's a win-win!

There's not a big emphasis on football at Cuse. People are focused on basketball, lacrosse and Soccer, but I can tell you this, There is alot of buzz with Babers. People are getting excited,
Would you attribute the downfall of Syracuse football to Schiano and the rise of Rutgers, or G-Rob, or a little of both? There was a flash of hope under Marrone, but that faded as soon as Mr. Isis took over.

Would you attribute the downfall of Syracuse football to Schiano and the rise of Rutgers, or G-Rob, or a little of both? There was a flash of hope under Marrone, but that faded as soon as Mr. Isis took over.
80% Grob, 20%Schiano. Greg Robinson was the main reason but Schiano contributed too. I think Schiano took advantaged of that. Rutgers replaced SU as a top 4 or 5 team in the Big East during that era. There is a misconception that SU relied on jersey players. This is totally not true. They relied on many states. Schiano made it harder to land a few higher lever jersey players that SU normally got. Like a Johnnie Morant.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
ADVERTISEMENT