ADVERTISEMENT

Weather for PSU @ RU: looks chilly and dry

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Still a week out, so much can change, but right now, after a reinforcing shot of cold air late in the week, it looks like Thursday through Saturday will be significantly colder than normal (like the rest of the week) with highs in the mid-40s (normal high/low on 11/19 is 54/34F) with dry conditions likely. However, at least one model is showing a low pressure system with potential precip for our area on Saturday. We'll see...

https://www.weather.gov/phi/

Woke up to the first snow of the season here above Boone NC. 1"+. First fire in the wood stove this morning, too. 23° now with 16° wind-chill. High today of 32°. But looks to be gradually clearing. Winter is here. More snow expected Tuesday. Low temps forecasted all week....

High of 43 degrees projected for Saturday. So with 3 30 start , we re probably looking at temps going down into the 30s for the game. Ouch 😣! Sort of enjoyed recent temps in the 70s 😂

Woke up to the first snow of the season here above Boone NC. 1"+. First fire in the wood stove this morning, too. 23° now with 16° wind-chill. High today of 32°. But looks to be gradually clearing. Winter is here. More snow expected Tuesday. Low temps forecasted all week....
winter-is-coming-icegif.gif

Still a week out, so much can change, but right now, after a reinforcing shot of cold air late in the week, it looks like Thursday through Saturday will be significantly colder than normal (like the rest of the week) with highs in the mid-40s (normal high/low on 11/19 is 54/34F) with dry conditions likely. However, at least one model is showing a low pressure system with potential precip for our area on Saturday. We'll see...

We've had 2+ model cycles in a row showing no precip at all on Saturday and with this kind of pattern (major mid-latitude trough comes through on Wednesday, leaving high pressure in control through Saturday), the forecast is pretty easy, i.e., lock it up for chilly and dry on Saturday with a high in the low/mid 40s and end-of-game temps in the mid/upper 30s. Should be light winds (5-10 mph) and plenty of sunshine, so it won't feel as cold as it could with these temps. Almost every gameday has had a forecast like this, i.e., major front comes through mid-week and we have nice, dry weather through Saturday - it's been essentially perfect weather this season.

FYI, areas well NW of 95 (Poconos, Sussex County, Catskills) could see their first inch or two of snow this season on Tuesday night. Could even see some flakes down through the Lehigh Valley, Warren/Morris/Passaic, but very unlikely to see any snow along and SE of 95. But winter is coming.

https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

what does Sunday look like
Well, if the Euro is correct, snowy, whereas if the other models are correct, dry and cold as any low pressure systems to our south would be suppressed to our south. Best guess is dry and cold, but watch out for cold and snowy. Reminds me of Field of Dreams, lol (look for low and outside, but watch out for in your ear...).

thanks. was planning a homerun derby for the team Sunday but looks like that might not be a go
Well, if the Euro is correct, snowy, whereas if the other models are correct, dry and cold as any low pressure systems to our south would be suppressed to our south. Best guess is dry and cold, but watch out for cold and snowy. Reminds me of Field of Dreams, lol (look for low and outside, but watch out for in your ear...).

thanks. was planning a homerun derby for the team Sunday but looks like that might not be a go
I definitely wouldn't cancel any event on Sunday based on a day 7-8 operational model run - much more likely to be cold and dry - I have a disc golf tourney that day and doubt we'll actually have precip/snow, but it's a non-zero probability (but not more than a 2-3% probability at this point)...

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I definitely wouldn't cancel any event on Sunday based on a day 7-8 operational model run - much more likely to be cold and dry - I have a disc golf tourney that day and doubt we'll actually have precip/snow, but it's a non-zero probability (but not more than a 2-3% probability at this point)...
@RUTGERS95 - we've now had a few model cycles in a row with no models showing any precip on Sunday, which is looking to be like Saturday, i.e., cold and dry with highs in the low 40s. Very high confidence in this now.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
We've had 2+ model cycles in a row showing no precip at all on Saturday and with this kind of pattern (major mid-latitude trough comes through on Wednesday, leaving high pressure in control through Saturday), the forecast is pretty easy, i.e., lock it up for chilly and dry on Saturday with a high in the low/mid 40s and end-of-game temps in the mid/upper 30s. Should be light winds (5-10 mph) and plenty of sunshine, so it won't feel as cold as it could with these temps. Almost every gameday has had a forecast like this, i.e., major front comes through mid-week and we have nice, dry weather through Saturday - it's been essentially perfect weather this season.

FYI, areas well NW of 95 (Poconos, Sussex County, Catskills) could see their first inch or two of snow this season on Tuesday night. Could even see some flakes down through the Lehigh Valley, Warren/Morris/Passaic, but very unlikely to see any snow along and SE of 95. But winter is coming.

https://forecast.weather.gov/produc...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Winter weather advisories are up for Sussex and Carbon/Monroe (Poconos) on Tuesday night for an inch or two of snow, especially at higher elevations and up to 0.2" of ice accretion from freezing rain. Could be some flakes in NW Morris and NW Warren with a slushy coating, but everywhere else should be all rain with up to 1" of rain looking likely.

Also, freeze warnings are up for most of SNJ/SEPA/DE, meaning all of the NWS-Philly office counties will have had a freeze, so the growing season is officially over for the area (not including NYC/Hudson though, which haven't had freezes yet - urban heat island - they'll get freezes later this week).

thats not chilly..its very cold and we will be lucky to get out of the 30s for highs and it will be in the mid 30s most of the game and possibly freezing by games end...OP is downplaying the cold

Reactions: RutgersNo1
thats not chilly..its very cold and we will be lucky to get out of the 30s for highs and it will be in the mid 30s most of the game and possibly freezing by games end...OP is downplaying the cold
You must really be bored to nitpick this one. I gave the temps of low/mid 40s for highs (more like low 40s now) and low/mid 30s at the end of the game (unlikely to be below 32F), so I'm sure people are smart enough to know what those temps mean for them. For me, that's chilly; for you that's very cold. Whatever.

There could also be 5-10 mph winds from noon to 7 pm, which would put wind chills in the low/mid-30s for the tailgates and down to the upper 20s by the end of the game. Would you call that arctic? Again, most people know what these temps mean to them and I think they can handle dressing appropriately for them. Pretty sure I'll have jeans and a windbreaker for these brutal conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUkhoury
Is tonight the type of thing that could make the roads a sheet of ice in NW NJ?
It's possible for areas in far NWNJ where the advisories are. The advisory in Warren mentions a potential light glaze of ice, but the advisory in Sussex mentions up to 0.2" of ice accretion, which would be a sheet of ice in many locations if it verifies (both counties mention up to 2" of snow also).

https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=PHI&wwa=winter weather advisory

You must really be bored to nitpick this one. I gave the temps of low/mid 40s for highs (more like low 40s now) and low/mid 30s at the end of the game (unlikely to be below 32F), so I'm sure people are smart enough to know what those temps mean for them. For me, that's chilly; for you that's very cold. Whatever.

There could also be 5-10 mph winds from noon to 7 pm, which would put wind chills in the low/mid-30s for the tailgates and down to the upper 20s by the end of the game. Would you call that arctic? Again, most people know what these temps mean to them and I think they can handle dressing appropriately for them. Pretty sure I'll have jeans and a windbreaker for these brutal conditions.
amazing how quickly the rivalry starts back up. Shaping up to be a great(entertaining really) weather board the rest of the winter.

amazing how quickly the rivalry starts back up. Shaping up to be a great(entertaining really) weather board the rest of the winter.
It's not a rivalry at all. If he didn't nitpick or troll my posts, I'd never even interact with him - just look at this thread, where he nitpicks and trolls. When he sticks to actual weather we have no issue.

Forecast from a week ago was pretty damn good, as we're going to be chilly/cold and dry with plenty of sunshine with highs around 40F. The only slight change is that it's likely to be a little breezy (10-15 mph winds for the afternoon, dropping off to 5-10 mph winds after sunset), which will make it feel a little colder with wind chills in the mid 30s during daylight and down around 30F after sunset, as temps drop to around 32F by 7 pm.

kcMbrBu.png

ADVERTISEMENT