ADVERTISEMENT

Weird NIL thought

Good-Knight

All Conference
Jul 21, 2008
Could an NIL collective, not necessarily directly associated with Team #1, offer a player on a Team #2 an NIL payment on the condition that he sit out the upcoming game against Team #1? Does it matter if the collective is comprised of fans of Team #1 or gamblers? Does it matter if the player on Team #2 is already receiving NIL from Team #2 with there being some expectation of a good faith effort?

Until things are regulated absolutely. It is illegal to gamble. Is it legal to take payment to keep secret and ultimately sit out?

There are no inseider information laws with gambling are there?

Players can't accept NIL other than from collectives affiliated with their own university. There are external NIL deals with national brands like Fanatics, Nike, etc. however, I doubt they want to be associated with something like the OP describes.

Players can't accept NIL other than from collectives affiliated with their own university. There are external NIL deals with national brands like Fanatics, Nike, etc. however, I doubt they want to be associated with something like the OP describes.
Is that true that players can't accept NIL from non university sponsored collectives? I was under the impression pretty much anything goes now. It doesn't have to be a collective. I agree, most wouldn't want any part of that, but if a guy told me he'd give me $1M to sit out a game, I'd be considering it.

Is that true that players can't accept NIL from non university sponsored collectives? I was under the impression pretty much anything goes now. It doesn't have to be a collective. I agree, most wouldn't want any part of that, but if a guy told me he'd give me $1M to sit out a game, I'd be considering it.
Maybe I stated that incorrectly. There are different types of collectives however, I believe most are donor collectives which have known affiliations with XYZ school. Additionally, the schools track the deals for the athletes so it may raise a red flag within their compliance department when an unknown collective is suddenly doing a deal with a player.

And I agree that deals can be done outside of collectives which is why I mentioned Nike, etc. but the OP was about using a collective.

The other thing we don't know is could the school those fans support face sanctions for there deeds if found out? It's all new ground here and you really don't want to find out.

Maybe I stated that incorrectly. There are different types of collectives however, I believe most are donor collectives which have known affiliations with XYZ school. Additionally, the schools track the deals for the athletes so it may raise a red flag within their compliance department when an unknown collective is suddenly doing a deal with a player.

And I agree that deals can be done outside of collectives which is why I mentioned Nike, etc. but the OP was about using a collective.

The other thing we don't know is could the school those fans support face sanctions for there deeds if found out? It's all new ground here and you really don't want to find out.
I guess the term does "collective" has some import for the OP. I know all the collective dealing are supposed to be tracked and made sure they fit guidelines, but do guidelines actually exist they have to abide by? We know it's not supposed to be "pay to play", but can it legally be "pay not to play"? I'd love to see a group try it and find out what happens afterward. Can we have one of RU's reach out to Drones about not playing this year?

I guess the term does "collective" has some import for the OP. I know all the collective dealing are supposed to be tracked and made sure they fit guidelines, but do guidelines actually exist they have to abide by? We know it's not supposed to be "pay to play", but can it legally be "pay not to play"? I'd love to see a group try it and find out what happens afterward. Can we have one of RU's reach out to Drones about not playing this year?
Hard to know since we lack the visibility into how everything is run and what the Compliance departments do to vet collectives and companies that want to engage in NIL with their student athletes.

We have a collective known as Bailey, Lewis & Toure (BLT) that will be reaching out to Drones...lol.

Hard to know since we lack the visibility into how everything is run and what the Compliance departments do to vet collectives and companies that want to engage in NIL with their student athletes.

We have a collective known as Bailey, Lewis & Toure (BLT) that will be reaching out to Drones...lol.
We should probably change the name of that collective...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT