ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome to the rankings, Stephan Glasgow!

The coaching staff is really high on this kid. After Saturday, it’s obvious why. Glasgow is incredibly athletic, and his aggression translates well to the collegiate style. It’s much more difficult to remain on top of a guy at the next level, so to see Glasgow not be shy on his feet is a huge upside. Constantly looking for leg attacks all 7 minutes.

I know Steph had a prep year, but he’s still young and undersized for this weight. Outside of those two question marks, there’s no reason why he cannot make noise this season. If he proves to have the strength to hang with the bullies of this weight, he could surprise some people in Pittsburgh.

The coaching staff is really high on this kid. After Saturday, it’s obvious why. Glasgow is incredibly athletic, and his aggression translates well to the collegiate style. It’s much more difficult to remain on top of a guy at the next level, so to see Glasgow not be shy on his feet is a huge upside. Constantly looking for leg attacks all 7 minutes.

I know Steph had a prep year, but he’s still young and undersized for this weight. Outside of those two question marks, there’s no reason why he cannot make noise this season. If he proves to have the strength to hang with the bullies of this weight, he could surprise some people in Pittsburgh.

Qualify plus a couple of wins (2-2) would be huge.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Qualify plus a couple of wins (2-2) would be huge.

I wrote on the round table that we’d need Steph to go at least 2-2 to put us in the top 10 hunt. It’s absolutely possible. We’ll get a better idea if that expectation can improve after the CKLV Open.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof

Well, inexperienced, but not young. He also went through 8th grade twice. He would be a junior in college by now.

Well, inexperienced, but not young. He also went through 8th grade twice. He would be a junior in college by now.

Damn calling the kid out - You must be hater.He is not the only one that went through 8th grade twice or in the country for that matter.

Why is that so important to discuss at this point? Do you have an issue with him repeating the grade? it should not be point of discussion.

Sounds quite petty to even mention that.Look at the ages of some of these kids and it really does not guarantee success how old you are.

They all still need to go out to wrestle the matches regardless of age.Glasgow still has some work to do to prove himself with two major indicators this weekend.As mentioned already he is still not a size-able 165Ib which we will see a major difference with the middle to top tier wrestlers at his weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loyal-Son

Damn calling the kid out - You must be hater.He is not the only one on the team that went through 8th grade twice or in the country for that matter.
Why is that so important to discuss at this point? Do you have an issue with him repeating the grade? it should not be point of discussion.We don't need any negativity towards our wrestlers but positive outcomes.

Sounds quite petty to even mention that.Look at the ages of some of these kids and it really does not guarantee success how old you are.

They all still need to go out to wrestle the matches regardless of age.

I’ve never heard of anyone doing the 8th grade twice. Is that something new?

Legitimate question not a slight. Or is it an athletic thing? I’ve heard of kids getting held back early on to make them older for their grade but never that.

Legitimate question not a slight. Or is it an athletic thing? I’ve heard of kids getting held back early on to make them older for their grade but never that.

Very common- You will be amazed how many kids have done so based on maturity level.Nothing wrong with it but no guarantee there is an advantage by staying back.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

Very common- You will be amazed how many kids have done so based on maturity level.Nothing wrong with it but no guarantee there is an advantage by staying back.

Interesting. I honestly never heard that one.

With Glasgow though he’ll definitely be a good one. He’s a 157 pounder for sure, so I’d expect more success next year. From the limited time I’ve watched him he’ll need to get more comfortable riding. When he faces those big guys like Marinelli and Joseph it’s gonna be tough.

With Glasgow though he’ll definitely be a good one. He’s a 157 pounder for sure, so I’d expect more success next year. From the limited time I’ve watched him he’ll need to get more comfortable riding. When he faces those big guys like Marinelli and Joseph it’s gonna be tough.

I definitely agree -the kid needs to work on riding and getting out from bottom when facing elite competition.Just reading his story he has overcome some adversity.I think next year is when we will see jumps to the next level once he has a full year under is belt.

Damn calling the kid out - You must be hater.He is not the only one that went through 8th grade twice or in the country for that matter.

Why is that so important to discuss at this point? Do you have an issue with him repeating the grade? it should not be point of discussion.

They all still need to go out to wrestle the matches regardless of age.Glasgow still has some work to do to prove himself with two major indicators this weekend.As mentioned already he is still not a size-able 165Ib which we will see a major difference with the middle to top tier wrestlers at his weight.

I wasn’t calling him out; I was responding to the post that he was young. Many top jersey wrestlers were held back over the last several years prior to high school to improve chance of success, and a lot of them are going to top academic schools, including Ivy League schools.

Last edited:
Actually its quite common these days for crazy parents that think it will give their child a better shot at an athletic Scholarship.
My parents had a choice what year to start me in school early or not and decided to wait. Did I stay back? No. But that extra year was key to my academic and athletic success. I was one of the oldest. It ended in 2 years of a high level of athletic success in HS instead of one.

To be fair, I see no reason to believe #20 will hold that spot for long. Glasgow will likely have a decent record against average wrestlers. However, how many average wrestlers are there at 165 in the Bigs? He's very talented but small for 165 and will likely be a 500 wrestler this season - maybe

My parents had a choice what year to start me in school early or not and decided to wait. Did I stay back? No. But that extra year was key to my academic and athletic success. I was one of the oldest. It ended in 2 years of a high level of athletic success in HS instead of one.
Id have to agree with you, generally

An extra year of training, practice, physical maturity is a plus, if taken advantage of. Not sure how it can be viewed differently. Theres always pros/cons to everything but speaking strictly high level athletics, no brainer

To be fair, I see no reason to believe #20 will hold that spot for long. Glasgow will likely have a decent record against average wrestlers. However, how many average wrestlers are there at 165 in the Bigs? He's very talented but small for 165 and will likely be a 500 wrestler this season - maybe

I do not think he should have been ranked yet.It is only on one poll any way openmat. Even at 157 there are hammers but he would develop quicker.I do give Glasgow some credit wrestling up with the bigger guys and hopefully it will be beneficial for him next year.I think he can be a 3 time AA if healthy.His talent is high and potential is great.It will be very very tough for him to even make the NCAAs this year.One opportunity lost against a 15th ranked kid with a size difference.Maybe he grows into the weight and flourish later??? The future is bright hopefully.I know we are all in patient including me for the success of our team.I just expect really good results as an Alumni.

ADVERTISEMENT