ADVERTISEMENT

Well the good news is we don't have to get jerked around anymore. Hyatt is gone

With the uncertainty surrounding his injury and whether he would be available next year or not, I'm glad this is finally over. Next up.

Reactions: geurdsy
It's not a surprise considering many who follow this closely have been predicting LSU for some time now. Pikiell has been very active with 2019 kids and since we only have one spot open right now; we will fill it with someone as good or better.

What a joke. A kid from White Plains wants to be in Baton Rouge.
$$$$

I realize basketball recruiting can be really shady, but at some point I hope jilted fans can stop defaulting to $$$$ whenever a kid chooses another program. Kinda like when some UConn fans were blaming adidas $$$ when Mathis picked Rutgers.

I get that people are bummed that a kid didn't pick their favorite school but c'mon.

It seems some programs can instantly excite a recruit. Hyatt seemed all but signed before setting foot on the LSU campus, where we have to establish a relationship and show continual attention to just stay in it

I feel like saying ‘not fair’

It's funny how a kid responding positively to the recruiting of Pikiell and staff and therefore ranking RU highly on his list of schools suddenly morphs into him jerking us around when he picks one of the other schools.

We were not jerked around. He just got a late offer from a program he thinks is bigger time and immediately become better

Reactions: RUJMM78
You can only choose one school. It’s insane how many kids you need to build relationships with to fill just a few scholarships? It’s even more amazing when you as the school offer the kid (seemingly) but then don’t take him because you are waiting on someone else.

I realize basketball recruiting can be really shady, but at some point I hope jilted fans can stop defaulting to $$$$ whenever a kid chooses another program. Kinda like when some UConn fans were blaming adidas $$$ when Mathis picked Rutgers.

I get that people are bummed that a kid didn't pick their favorite school but c'mon.

UConn fans just can't accept their new (AAC) reality. Has Rutgers ever paid for a recruit? I mean, any amount, ever?

Reactions: shields and Scangg
With the uncertainty surrounding his injury and whether he would be available next year or not, I'm glad this is finally over. Next up.
Not thrilled with this kid from day one. All I have to go from is his highlights, but they show him pretty one dimensional. We would have to wait a year for him to contribute and in the meantime we could get a better player. I'd rather add another big kid next year. His offer list was good but not great. Harper is a better player and they play the same position.

Reactions: soundcrib
Massoud recruiting is going to be a tough one. Hopefully we take him and his brother on in the heir respective sports.

I think we’ll have plenty of targets for that last spot. Especially if we show nice improvement this year!

Next man up. Our core is there

There seems to be a perception that LSU popped in without any advance work and we lost out despite our strong long term relationship with Hyatt. That perception is not accurate. Hyatt has had a long term relationship with Will Wade since Wade was at VCU. Wade also has a substantial amount of support and respect in the NYC area from his days at VCU.

Pikiell and our staff did an excellent job in the recruitment of Hyatt. You simply cannot win every time. The positive is that this staff is slowly changing the perception of RU. We are signing stronger recruiting classes than in the past. We are legitimately involved with a number of excellent recruits. Things are changing in a positive way. To me that is the bigger story here.

Forgetting the shortfalls we have related to other programs. I find it surprising when a kid who has a chance to go away to somewhere different for 4 years chooses to stay home.

That’s all well and good but LSU has had a reputation, earned, of being dirty for over 50 years. Whenever I hear that LSU is in the mix for a recruit I automatically assume that whether that player becomes a Tiger or not there are unabashed shenanigans going on.

Yes, this. Because Lord knows LSU is the last bastion of moral and ethical behavior in intercollegiate sports. Can agree with your perspective but LSU was not the school to use this post on.

Last edited:
Hyatt has had a long term relationship with Will Wade since Wade was at VCU.

Pikiell and our staff did an excellent job in the recruitment of Hyatt. You simply cannot win every time. The positive is that this staff is slowly changing the perception of RU. We are signing stronger recruiting classes than in the past. We are legitimately involved with a number of excellent recruits. Things are changing in a positive way. To me that is the bigger story here.

And we didn’t even offer, anyway.

;-)

Massoud recruiting is going to be a tough one. Hopefully we take him and his brother on in the heir respective sports.

I think we’ll have plenty of targets for that last spot. Especially if we show nice improvement this year!

Next man up. Our core is there

Who is his brother?

I believe Hyatt will redshirt so i feel pretty good that RU was probably 2nd in this recruitment and if a transfer out of LSU happens, RU could be a destination for Hyatt....in the meantime, the staff was well prepared for this and we have months to finalize the final spot in 2019

I consider the summer as the primary wave where most recruits get signed....the winter is when the transfer marker may materialize....then the late bloomer and March April visits get finalized.

So the next McConnell or Strickland and Hyatt or Massoud or Beran or whomever is out there....i think Massoud may be an even tougher pull, but no downside in trying.

LSU now has Naz Reid and Hyatt.
And a whole lot more.

Will Wade is not playing. He is building LSU into a SEC championship contender (I thought Alabama should have hired him instead of Avery Johnson). As quietly as it is kept, there is a pretty strong basketball fan base there despite Johnny Jones' efforts to kill the program. In Wade's first season they won 8 more games than the previous season including wins over five NCAA Tournament teams (Michigan, Houston, Texas A&M (twice), Arkansas (twice) and Missouri).

Reactions: RutgHoops
You don't know. Just like you don't know that LSU paid for Hyatt.

It's basketball recruiting. It's the dirtiest thing going in the NCAA. If a kid has "handlers", I think it's a safe assumption there may be some underhanded dealings going on. At the very least, it certainly raises an eye.

ADVERTISEMENT