ADVERTISEMENT

Werneke Dismissed - Rutgers women's volleyball

Does anyone know how RU volleyball stacks up with other B1G volleyball teams with regard to scholarships? Are women's non-revenue sports teams usually fully funded, scholarship-wise, under Title IX regulations, and if not, where does RU stand? This would seem to be a major obstacle if we have fewer scholarship players than our B1G competitors.

Thanks.

Uhmmmm....how about our single worst sport: Cross Country?

WVB is very popular in the Big Ten, so we need to get better... like a LOT better. Just get some Penn State coaches. Once they get good their games can be moved to the RAC if needed.

no one cares about cross country, we can drop that one and no one would notice. Besides Schiano trolls.

Reactions: bigmatt718
WVB is very popular in the Big Ten, so we need to get better... like a LOT better. Just get some Penn State coaches. Once they get good their games can be moved to the RAC if needed.

no one cares about cross country, we can drop that one and no one would notice. Besides Schiano trolls.

I completely agree re: VB, never said otherwise.

If we cut any sports in the B1G, the only ones I wouldn't care about is mens and women's XC. I don't think we've ever been good at cross country and we give next to no scholarship money in it as all of it goes to track and field in winter and spring.

Women's volleyball in the fall in the B1G is like wrestling in the winter. I'd kill to see RU become a good volleyball team in the B1G. And when they become good at volleyball, they can do what wrestling and gymnastics did and move to the RAC.

Does anyone know how RU volleyball stacks up with other B1G volleyball teams with regard to scholarships? Are women's non-revenue sports teams usually fully funded, scholarship-wise, under Title IX regulations, and if not, where does RU stand? This would seem to be a major obstacle if we have fewer scholarship players than our B1G competitors.

Thanks.
I definitely feel like RU isn't fully funded in VB and definitely needs to do so ASAP.

I definitely feel like RU isn't fully funded in VB and definitely needs to do so ASAP.

I’m not 100% positive(It was on NU board as a stipulation for them to join) but I believe the Big 10 has a policy that If a school sponsors a sport it must be full funded for scholarships at whatever the NCAA max is. Their reasoning is that they don’t want schools to just be dumping all their money into football and hoops which was an issue for them way back. Fund it or drop it but you can’t just have it around for Title IV purposes.

Reactions: bigmatt718
I believe we only had 10 scholarships at one point and they were supposed to get up to 12. Not sure if they got there. There are only 13 players on the roster and Wisconsin had about 20 at the game Saturday at the Barn.

I believe we only had 10 scholarships at one point and they were supposed to get up to 12. Not sure if they got there. There are only 13 players on the roster and Wisconsin had about 20 at the game Saturday at the Barn.

The number of players a team can have on the court for a game is not limited. They can have 100 if they like, however, only 15 are eligible to play per contest and that is determined prior to the start of the match.

Women’s VB is allowed 12 scholarships and men’s is allowed 4.5.
most schools have 12-15 on the roster and a few students that aren’t part of the team for practice. Some teams allow all of the players involved to dress for games and some just have the max of 15. A lot of schools will dress 15 but 3 or 4 may be redshirting and won’t be playing.

Reactions: Vejai
The same search firm we had for football is handling the search for a new volleyball coach. So that means Greg Schiano has the volleyball job locked up. :Rutgers:):CHOP:

Reactions: RUonBrain
Having coached high school cross country for 36 years it kills me that RU is so bad in X-C. They give all of their money to track sprinters, hurdlers and jumpers who do several events. I spoke to Mulqueen a few times about this. He has done alright with winter & spring track but not cross country. Every year NJ is rated in the top 5 in the nation for high school X-C but we almost never get one of our top runners. In 1976 the RU X-C team finished as # 15 in the nation in the NCAA Championships and almost our entire team were freshman. Ed Taylor was our top runner who ran for me 3 years in Edison. He was the # 2 finishing freshman in the country only being behind Rudy Chapa of Oregon. Les Wallach was the head coach at the time. Rob Amatrani of Cranford was a frosh as well plus the Hopkins kid and Marty Halloran who I think still coaches at Metuchen. That team had a real future. Now they just come near the bottom of the BIG each year. They do alright in the METS and against eastern schools but not against the big boys. Mulqueen was a hurdler. They really need a true distance coach on staff and to give ships to a few of the best in state runners. It kills me as I am in the NJSIAA State Coaches Hall of Fame for cross country.

ADVERTISEMENT