ADVERTISEMENT

West Coast View on Expansion

rucoe89

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Morning paper in SF Bay Area noted that what drove USC and UCLA to Big Ten was poor management of conference by Larry Scott. He was the Pac 12 version of Mike Tranghese. Scott botched a lot of opportunities for the PAC 12 to stabilze and get relevant and USC just got frustrated. It wanted a partner so later brought in UCLA. Sounded like a Miami/BC/'Cuse type of situation from years ago.

Paper also was realistic in noting that for now they thought Big Ten was done until Notre Dame decided what it would do. Feeling was if ND committed to Big Ten, likely Washington and Oregon would be invited. Both programs (in addition to others) are desperate to join, but reality is all know Big Ten is calling the shots here. From there, interestingly, it seems like they think after this Big Ten would go South (NC/Duke and/or UVA?) before looking out west again. They do think ASU/Zona and Utah/Colorado possibly could end up in Big 12.

One other interesting note was the they think that what may further reshuffle the landscape will be if athletes get ruled to be employees. They thought that may cause issues with a lot of schools. That may be one reason why the Regents of California signed off on UCLA and didn't push to include Berkeley for now.

IF BIG 10 was smart they would add Stanford to entice ND as ND already plays Stanford and then you would have 3 California schools. to lessen some of the travel....... Washinton or Oregon does not move the needle to get ND to Big 10...I think the BIg 12 should just take all of the remaining PAC-10 schools...

IF BIG 10 was smart they would add Stanford to entice ND as ND already plays Stanford and then you would have 3 California schools. to lessen some of the travel....... Washinton or Oregon does not move the needle to get ND to Big 10...I think the BIg 12 should just take all of the remaining PAC-10 schools...
The Big 10 is smart. No if about it. Regardless of what the next move is.

Scott is a horrible commish. Watching SC games became a real chore, in LA. And USC runs this town. I've lived her for over 20 years. I've seen the Lakers win championships, the Dodgers, and the Rams.

Nothing lit this city up like when Pete Carroll was at USC. To go from that to hardly being able to see games was just not acceptable.

I've spoken to tons of SC and UCLA grads. I haven't heard one person say they weren't pumped about this move.

Yes, adding Stanford would make sense to sweeten the pot for Notre Dame. But it means three Pacific Coast schools. Wouldn't the Big Ten want a fourth? Could it be that Stanford would drag Cal (a huge rival for over a century) to the party?? If so, would it make sense to take Oregon and Washington, too?

Yes, adding Stanford would make sense to sweeten the pot for Notre Dame. But it means three Pacific Coast schools. Wouldn't the Big Ten want a fourth? Could it be that Stanford would drag Cal (a huge rival for over a century) to the party?? If so, would it make sense to take Oregon and Washington, too?
Or Colorado and Arizona

Reactions: cicero grimes
If it goes to 20 and ND is one of those schools then take Stanford, Oregon, and Washington. Makes it easier to do West Coast road trip for Olympic sports, and gets #6 and #14 media markets in addition to ND. Maybe Nike money is a plus with addition of Oregon.

Reactions: BuckRU and RUaMoose
Bc it keeps that rivalry for them and is an elite private school as well. Being in a conference with Oregon, Washington aren’t relevant to ND’s interests any more than UNLV is.

Morning paper in SF Bay Area noted that what drove USC and UCLA to Big Ten was poor management of conference by Larry Scott. He was the Pac 12 version of Mike Tranghese. Scott botched a lot of opportunities for the PAC 12 to stabilze and get relevant and USC just got frustrated. It wanted a partner so later brought in UCLA. Sounded like a Miami/BC/'Cuse type of situation from years ago.

Paper also was realistic in noting that for now they thought Big Ten was done until Notre Dame decided what it would do. Feeling was if ND committed to Big Ten, likely Washington and Oregon would be invited. Both programs (in addition to others) are desperate to join, but reality is all know Big Ten is calling the shots here. From there, interestingly, it seems like they think after this Big Ten would go South (NC/Duke and/or UVA?) before looking out west again. They do think ASU/Zona and Utah/Colorado possibly could end up in Big 12.

One other interesting note was the they think that what may further reshuffle the landscape will be if athletes get ruled to be employees. They thought that may cause issues with a lot of schools. That may be one reason why the Regents of California signed off on UCLA and didn't push to include Berkeley for now.
What's going to happen with the vaunted beach volleyball and water polo teams of the PAC teams that join the B1G. And UCLA and USC do not have wrestling or Lacrosse? @Caliknight do any PAC teams have lacrosse?

Reactions: Leonard23
What's going to happen with the vaunted beach volleyball and water polo teams of the PAC teams that join the B1G. And UCLA and USC do not have wrestling or Lacrosse? @Caliknight do any PAC teams have lacrosse?

There are women's teams, helps with Title IX. Utah men's went D1 2-3 years ago. USC and a lot of PAC (Stanford for 50 years) teams have club teams. There is actually a club tournament as west of the Mississippi there are very few NCAA men's teams

Looked it up. USC ranked #9 in the national club lacrosse poll. UCLA didn't make the Top 25.

That is why the B1G is smart, they aren't inviting Stanford. Notre Dame will decide whether to join the B1G based on the optimum revenue maximization for Notre Dame and nothing else. Notre Dame is not fixated on AAU memberships or maintaining current rivalries, it is all about the $s.

Notre Dame will remain in the ACC.
It will be Washington, Oregon, Stanford and Cal. This makes more sense,
No they won't long term. They will eventually news to join the B1G. The ACC is not a long term option for them.

UNC and UVA make more sense than Stanford and Cal
Just a guess but I believe there’s already an agreement with the LA teams to add 1-2 more west coast teams, TBD depending on ND’s decision and then 2 from the ACC. Resulting in 4 pods of 5 teams each by 2025. Id like to see RU with PSU, MD, Michigan St and ND.

B. OSU, Michigan, UVa, UNC, Indiana
C. Wisky, Purdue, Illinois , Iowa, Northwestern
D. USC, UCLA, Stanford, Neb, Minnesota

These pods are relatively balanced and a bit less travel for the west coast teams for annual opponents (in same pod)

3 of the pods have at least one top private school and the other has UVA and Michigan which are almost as selective

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out what the hell either of these schools would bring to the Big 10. Anyone?
They both have strong sports programs, have both been to the CFP in the last ten years, have good alumni support and are in growing markets.

They both have strong sports programs, have both been to the CFP in the last ten years, have good alumni support and are in growing markets.

I do not see any market they bring which is worth all that much. I mean it's all about money, so who gives a crap how strong their programs are or their alumni support is.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Just a guess but I believe there’s already an agreement with the LA teams to add 1-2 more west coast teams, TBD depending on ND’s decision and then 2 from the ACC. Resulting in 4 pods of 5 teams each by 2025. Id like to see RU with PSU, MD, Michigan St and ND.

B. OSU, Michigan, UVa, UNC, Indiana
C. Wisky, Purdue, Illinois , Iowa, Northwestern
D. USC, UCLA, Stanford, Neb, Minnesota

These pods are relatively balanced and a bit less travel for the west coast teams for annual opponents (in same pod)

3 of the pods have at least one top private school and the other has UVA and Michigan which are almost as selective
A lot of ppl are saying they don't get the appeal of Stanford. I'm like that with UVA. What do they bring to the table other than maybe being someone for NC to bring along. The whole contiguous state thing ended with USC/UCLA. Oh, they got a nice campus. That and $3 will get me a happy hour Bud

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out what the hell either of these schools would bring to the Big 10. Anyone?
They are potential partners for UCLA/USC and prevent them from being lone outposts. IMO, out of the remaining PAC12 schools they're the next most desired. Stanford biz wise isn't up there but they might be on the list because of ND.

I've posted a couple articles that aren't so enthusiastic about Oregon/Washington biz wise and cite former Fox sports president and another industry source both who think they don't bring enough to the table to not make the B10 schools have to reduce their size of the pie a little bit. Tweeners one called them. Solutions to that were the B10 schools take 5-6M less each or Oregon/Washington prolong their revenue share timeframe to get up to a full share.

You can say they don't bring anything but they are the best of the rest out west. IMO, it's not Colorado, Arizona, ASU, Utah, Cal etc...Unless you're willing to leave UCLA/USC out there alone (which I don't think is the long term strategy of the B10) sooner or later you have to choose 1-3 schools from the west to be partners for them.

I've said before it's not just market or it's not just brand, it's both and every school brings some combo of each side of the equation to evaluate. Evaluating both sides of that equation for each remaining western candidate, IMO Oregon/Washington are the best of the bunch. Stanford is lower down the list but because of ND you never know. ND coming might allow university presidents ("academic snobs" for lack of a better term) to lean in more on the academic fit side of the equation vs the biz fit side of the equation.

Nothing stopping them from playing them an OOC, remember right now all ND are OOC.
In a 20 team conference there may not be a need for OOC games. What's the point of a OOC game other than to fill out the schedule and perhaps a warm up game but there's plenty of weak sauce conference opponents.

Reactions: tom1944
Notre Dame would be about $$$ from national media rights. Annual games against USC, Michigan, Michigan state, Purdue, Penn state..... With Stanford we'd have nearly all their traditional rivals. Then throw in Marquee matchups with Ohio State, Wisconsin, etc. They can still have ooc games with Pitt, BC, and the academies.

That's a massively attractive slate of games to add to the rights package.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
$26mm now vs $100mm with B1G

ND is arrogant but they’re not going to play musical chairs and get left on the outside.

within 2 weeks we will see the announcement of ND joining the B1G.

rhen get rest for crazy town as everyone scrambles for a seat…

My thoughts exactly. I keep hearing Oregon/ Phil Knight and Washington but keep wondering what's the big attraction. I think the B1G offers ND and Stanford and if Stanford declines then offers Cal. After that it stands pat to absorb the expansion and waits for the ACC GOR to end.

Bc it keeps that rivalry for them and is an elite private school as well. Being in a conference with Oregon, Washington aren’t relevant to ND’s interests any more than UNLV is.
Not sure the rivalry stuff is relevant anymore. ND has had a rivalry with Navy and Army forever. The only only thing that matters to ND is $$$$

Seems like there is a window for Notre Dame to come in now and boost the payout of this contract. Like USC /UCLA. If they balk it will get put off til the next contract. ND would have to totally implode for them not to have an open invite to any conference they choose.
The rest of the potential programs will have to go through the buy in process like we did. With $100,000,000 million dollar payouts it might take them 10 years to buy in.
Can’t see this staying at 16, but this might take years for them to add who they want.
Rutgers fans should know, seemed like an eternity for us to go from BIG rumor to BIG member.

Last edited:
Bring in Stanford to entice Notre Dame?
F**k Notre Dame.
Big Ten in a position of strength should not concede anything to the Domers.
They pay to join just like we did. Where are they going to go? They can stay associated with the ACC as it falls apart in the long run. And I hope if they do not join the other Big Ten teams stop scheduling them. They will become more and more irrelevant each year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT