ADVERTISEMENT

What are the odds that the 2020 RU football season starts on time ?

Kbee3

Hall of Famer
Aug 23, 2002
The more I listen to the experts the more I'm wondering how we get back to any semblance of normalcy without a vaccine and/or successful treatment of this damn virus. And that looks quite a ways down the road right now.
We're in deep shit.

I think a 100%. They may not have spring practice but maybe a long August practice season. I can't see this shutting down the country/world for 6 months.

Reactions: goru1869
The more I listen to the experts the more I'm wondering how we get back to any semblance of normalcy without a vaccine and/or successful treatment of this damn virus. And that looks quite a ways down the road right now.
We're in deep shit.

Kbong3 ringing the alarm bell on the 2020 season after reading tea leaves from the experts.

I think we are back to our regular ways by then whether the medical profession recommends it or not. Lost spring hurts us a lot as we should be breaking in a new offense.

I think we are back to our regular ways by then whether the medical profession recommends it or not. Lost spring hurts us a lot as we should be breaking in a new offense.
Doesn't matter if it's not up to us. If the experts still say it's dangerous for large groups to gather, the politicos will not allow sporting events. And if the vaccine isn't in place by mid summer, I'd expect the NCAA to postpone or shorten the season.

Just heard Fauci, and he said good chance virus flares up again in fall - but it could be weaker.

Entire MLB season will probably be canceled
I said that in an earlier thread about when the season would start.
It didn't seem likely that we'd see baseball in 2020.
Let's hope things are better as we approach what is scheduled to be the start of the 2020 Rutgers football season.

I think the answer is NOBODY knows. The question that needs to be answered is once you get Corona can you get it again?
Nobody has that answer currently because it is a new strain.
If the answer is IF you will be only get a cold symptom next time around and/or a vaccine is found to work then its 50/50 at best for college football.
Dont forget even if a vaccine is found,it will take months upon months to get it mass produced and distributed on a global level.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRZEER
Doesn't matter if it's not up to us. If the experts still say it's dangerous for large groups to gather, the politicos will not allow sporting events. And if the vaccine isn't in place by mid summer, I'd expect the NCAA to postpone or shorten the season.

There will not be a widely availallbe vaccine by this summer. there will be various trials of different vaccines to see the efficacy of each unitl one is decided on as being the best.

What is interesting is that anyone who gets the virus and recovers should be immune from a re-occurrence. No one really knows how many have a mild case and they will now be immune.

They shut down March Madness. Anything is possible although I think it’s far enough out where things will settle down by then

The campuses have to open up again to have football in 2020, I could see virtual classes through the fall just to be safe, especially if we hit a bump in the road in regards to containing the virus. At this point I don't see how anyone can legitimately say with certainty that we will have a 2020 college football season.

If this is an issue once football season comes around, we're gonna have far, far bigger problems to be concerned with.
I can’t even imagine what the economy will be like if the job losses continue that many months. No one where I work has been let go yet, but if the night restrictions were to become mandatory, it would be a mess.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

I'll go with cancelled, unless we have an effective treatment in place by then, which I'd say is maybe a 50/50 chance - maybe this hydroxychloroquine/azithromycin combo will be shown to be effective in larger clinical trials (very promising, but small trial data released yesterday) or maybe the remdesivir trial finishing up on 4/3 will be effective or perhaps some new or other old compound will work. I do know Pharma are looking to test hundreds of compounds, especially approved ones which have already been proven safe (like the ones I just mentioned), plus the ongoing development work on antibody therapies and plasma-antibody therapies could pay off (worked to treat Ebola before the vaccine was ready).

These are what we need now, since I simply can't believe that we can get a vaccine approved for general use in 4 months, even though we should have some reasonable safety/efficacy data by then on the trials that have already started or will start soon in various countries. 12 months would be incredible as most think it will take 18 months.

The one caveat to that is that if we're still in bad shape in 4 months (no effective treatments and still high infection rates and/or still in near lockdown) and have indications that a vaccine works and is reasonably safe, I'd have to think we might see "compassionate use" vaccinations start for the elderly and younger people with underlying conditions before full approval. The reason for the long time involved is vaccines usually use weakened or killed actual viruses to elicit an immune antibody-forming response in the patient and there's always some small risk that a less than thoroughly tested vaccine could actually give people a real infection with the virus. Imagine the outcry if that happened.

Reactions: RUhobbit
We're in deep shit.
NOT GOOD

At this time we should not speculate or expect a college football season this Fall... Unless things change with the virus or some drugs are found to help... or a vaccine it won’t happen .. . see you at the Spring 2021 game... the good thing for Rutgers it gives Greg a longer time to input his systems ...build his Top 30 class ... and continue to keep kids in state... after this is over kids may think twice about leaving.

For someone who has downplayed this from day one, along with your hero, "King Trump," as you like to call him, and is still downplaying it, maybe you should sit this one out.

Show me where I've been "downplaying this since day one".

Poor #'s. Got caught in a post actually downplaying it since day one, now has turned into the world is ending. He's lost.

He does like his Alinksy tactics though. Always accuse others of what you are doing.

Show me where I've been "downplaying this since day one".

Poor #'s. Got caught in a post actually downplaying it since day one, now has turned into the world is ending. He's lost.

He does like his Alinksy tactics though. Always accuse others of what you are doing.

You keep saying Trump is doing a great job, when he's downplayed this threat for 6 weeks (apart from the China travel ban at the end of January), saying it would go away, when what he needed to be doing was making preparations for the epidemic in this country, like ensuring we had enough test kits and medical supplies and championing social distancing instead of willfully ignoring it (and still ignoring it - can't they get those people off the dais and into separated spots at a table?). Do you want me to repost all of his horrible quotes downplaying the threat? And since you are 100% in lockstep with him, you've been downplaying it by definition. You're both part of the problem.

You keep saying Trump is doing a great job, when he's downplayed this threat for 6 weeks (apart from the China travel ban at the end of January), saying it would go away, when what he needed to be doing was making preparations for the epidemic in this country, like ensuring we had enough test kits and medical supplies and championing social distancing instead of willfully ignoring it (and still ignoring it - can't they get those people off the dais and into separated spots at a table?). Do you want me to repost all of his horrible quotes downplaying the threat? And since you are 100% in lockstep with him, you've been downplaying it by definition. You're both part of the problem.
Well what about patient 0 in NY? Trump put in place travel bans from Iran. Liberal Courts of New York shot it down and let her in. New York became the new hot spot spreading it to NJ and the surrounding areas. This wasn't people flying from Seattle bringing it to the east coast. Both bans China and Iran at the time were viewed as racist by liberal media, politicians and democrats.

For someone who has downplayed this from day one, along with your hero, "King Trump," as you like to call him, and is still downplaying it, maybe you should sit this one out.
Man you are bitter about Trump ... you ‘ll get your chance to get back power starting in 2025... just think 4 + years left of TDS

Reactions: RUaMoose
We're in deep shit.
When in deep shit. KEEP HEAD UP.

Reactions: Kbee3
If this is an issue once football season comes around, we're gonna have far, far bigger problems to be concerned with.
Not necessarily...hopefully winds down by June’s end...if it does by mid September we’ll see fall sports...

Not necessarily...hopefully winds down by June’s end...if it does by mid September we’ll see fall sports...
That's my point, if this is still going strong in August and September, we've got major problems far more serious than the football season.

Reactions: knight82 and rutino
That's my point, if this is still going strong in August and September, we've got major problems far more serious than the football season.
What I was pointing out above is that even if we are coming out of it by May/June and the pro leagues start playing with closed stadiums, that is not an alternative for colleges. College campuses might remain closed in an abundance of caution and even if they open they still might have crowd restrictions for activities, and colleges are are not going to play games in closed stadiums without fans/students, it is not the pros. I am not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic given the current state of affairs.

Well what about patient 0 in NY? Trump put in place travel bans from Iran. Liberal Courts of New York shot it down and let her in. New York became the new hot spot spreading it to NJ and the surrounding areas. This wasn't people flying from Seattle bringing it to the east coast. Both bans China and Iran at the time were viewed as racist by liberal media, politicians and democrats.

You're completely wrong and I don't have time to argue deeply, but 300,000 Chinese entered the US in the month of January before the travel ban was enacted on 2/2, so there's that. This means the virus was surely in almost every state by the time the ban was put in place. The ban probably bought us a week or so, which is great and I supported it, as did most democrats I know (not Biden though). You really need to start reading sources other than whatever your're reading.

Man you are bitter about Trump ... you ‘ll get your chance to get back power starting in 2025... just think 4 + years left of TDS
I don't give a shit about Trump per se - I care about the country and what his ignorance and failure to act have led us to. I'd give all my $$ to have Pence be in charge right now or Romney or any number of republicans who I believe actually give a shit and would have been leading strong Federal efforts for the last 6 weeks, instead of downplaying the risks at every chance, like Trump. I don't want him impeached or voted out, as that will take too long. I simply want him fired so someone else can take over.

You're completely wrong and I don't have time to argue deeply, but 300,000 Chinese entered the US in the month of January before the travel ban was enacted on 2/2, so there's that. This means the virus was surely in almost every state by the time the ban was put in place. The ban probably bought us a week or so, which is great and I supported it, as did most democrats I know (not Biden though). You really need to start reading sources other than whatever your're reading.
What? Most Dems and liberal media condemned the acts. And your liberal sources are the only one's correct? Come off your high horse. You come on here acting like you're just informing but you're throwing out slanted takes to further your one and only agenda and that's not to inform. Rather it's to show everyone why your take as a never Trumper is the only one. Every post you've posted on the matter has had an ulterior motive hidden behind the guise of informing. You've picked and chose facts to support your one true claim. Vote Democrat.

What? Most Dems and liberal media condemned the acts. And your liberal sources are the only one's correct? Come off your high horse. You come on here acting like you're just informing but you're throwing out slanted takes to further your one and only agenda and that's not to inform. Rather it's to show everyone why your take as a never Trumper is the only one. Every post you've posted on the matter has had an ulterior motive hidden behind the guise of informing. You've picked and chose facts to support your one true claim. Vote Democrat.

So every quote from Trump downplaying the epidemic for weeks was ok? Not having enough test kits or medical supplies was and is ok? Is that what you're going with?

Are you one of those folks who think we should just stop fighting it and let 20-70% of people get the virus, which means 600K (if 20% get it) to 2MM (if 70% get it) deaths (vs. ~35,000 deaths/yr from the flu) and 10X that number in serious/ICU-level infections (and that's if we only assume a 1% mortality rate vs. the 2-5% we're seeing in some places)? Those numbers aren't political, plus I just said I'd be happy with any number of R's being in charge right now (so it's not about dems) - just not Trump. What do you suggest?

Are you one of those folks who think we should just stop fighting it and let 20-70% of people get the virus, which means 600K (if 20% get it) to 2MM (if 70% get it) deaths

If the alternative is this for 18 months and possibly longer? Yes.

Reactions: rurx1228
I don't give a shit about Trump per se - I care about the country and what his ignorance and failure to act have led us to. I'd give all my $$ to have Pence be in charge right now or Romney or any number of republicans who I believe actually give a shit and would have been leading strong Federal efforts for the last 6 weeks, instead of downplaying the risks at every chance, like Trump. I don't want him impeached or voted out, as that will take too long. I simply want him fired so someone else can take over.
You sound like Libby Juan Antonio Williams on Fox

Reactions: Caliknight
ADVERTISEMENT