ADVERTISEMENT

What are the odds that the 2020 RU football season starts on time ?

Can't wait for the ads where your Dear Leader called it a hoax, 15 cases and going down, and like the flu.

Grandma's dead and white nationalism is alive- Corona Donnie 2020!

Absolutely.
Lying Donnie will exposed again with his ineptness as a Leader of this great country.
Another in a long line of crimes against American made by this corrupt clown.
“It was a great phone call “.

Absolutely.
Lying Donnie will exposed again with his ineptness as a Leader of this great country.
And this comment relates to the question of the postponement of the college football season in what way? I believe we have another board where you can bash Trump/Biden/Sanders, etc. to your heart's content.

Reactions: studed
Sadly, that number will be surpassed real soon by the Trump virus. By a lot.
Again, nothing to do with college football. However in the interest of fairness since some people are confusing this board with another board.

On Jan. 24, de Blasio said New Yorkers should "continue living as you have"; on Feb. 14 he said, "this should not stop you from going about your life ... from going out to Chinatown and going out to eat"; and on Mar. 13, he reiterated "we wanted people to go on about their lives." The Trump administration restricted travel to China on Jan. 31 in response to the mounting coronavirus threat

Absolutely.

Yup, just like the beautiful/perfect tests the country doesn't have because he didn't take the ones from the WHO.

Meanwhile, South Korea tests thousands a day.

Reactions: Kbee3
Again, nothing to do with college football. However in the interest of fairness since some people are confusing this board with another board.

On Jan. 24, de Blasio said New Yorkers should "continue living as you have"; on Feb. 14 he said, "this should not stop you from going about your life ... from going out to Chinatown and going out to eat"; and on Mar. 13, he reiterated "we wanted people to go on about their lives." The Trump administration restricted travel to China on Jan. 31 in response to the mounting coronavirus threat

LOL. After the airlines cancelled flights.

After we already had several cases.

But hey

At least Recession Donnie cancelled the pandemic task force and shipped China over 17 tons of PPE. Sheer brilliance.

What's the concern anyway? It's their new hoax, remember?

Reactions: zazoo2002 and Kbee3
The more I listen to the experts the more I'm wondering how we get back to any semblance of normalcy without a vaccine and/or successful treatment of this damn virus. And that looks quite a ways down the road right now.
We're in deep shit.
0% IT would start on time. 80 % no college football

Sadly, that number will be surpassed real soon by the Trump virus. By a lot.
1. Youre right that it will go well beyond 12k
2. You just sound like a clown calling it the Trump virus. It's a fact that it came from China... And it's a fact that Trump was called racist by liberal lunatics when he banned travel from there.

I'll go with cancelled, unless we have an effective treatment in place by then, which I'd say is maybe a 50/50 chance - maybe this hydroxychloroquine/azithromycin combo will be shown to be effective in larger clinical trials (very promising, but small trial data released yesterday) or maybe the remdesivir trial finishing up on 4/3 will be effective or perhaps some new or other old compound will work. I do know Pharma are looking to test hundreds of compounds, especially approved ones which have already been proven safe (like the ones I just mentioned), plus the ongoing development work on antibody therapies and plasma-antibody therapies could pay off (worked to treat Ebola before the vaccine was ready).

These are what we need now, since I simply can't believe that we can get a vaccine approved for general use in 4 months, even though we should have some reasonable safety/efficacy data by then on the trials that have already started or will start soon in various countries. 12 months would be incredible as most think it will take 18 months.

The one caveat to that is that if we're still in bad shape in 4 months (no effective treatments and still high infection rates and/or still in near lockdown) and have indications that a vaccine works and is reasonably safe, I'd have to think we might see "compassionate use" vaccinations start for the elderly and younger people with underlying conditions before full approval. The reason for the long time involved is vaccines usually use weakened or killed actual viruses to elicit an immune antibody-forming response in the patient and there's always some small risk that a less than thoroughly tested vaccine could actually give people a real infection with the virus. Imagine the outcry if that happened.

No change in my stance. Even if we flatten the curve enough to get past this first wave, odds are high that <1% of Americans will be known to have been infected from the virus test, meaning a next wave could happen easily if we relaxed social distancing significantly, and allowing large crowds will be the last thing approved. Many think the virus will be seasonal, slowing down some soon (especially with all our interventions), but coming back in the fall with a vengeance.

The one caveat to this is we have no idea right now how many were infected but didn't get sick and have immunity from the antibodies they produced in fighting the virus - we know about half of those who tested positive in some settings (like the Diamond Princess) never developed symptoms, so it's possible there are many more who have antibodies but don't know it. This would mean many would likely be immune and it would also mean any future outbreaks would be smaller, with less "targets" walking around. The antibody tests are now available as of today, I think - we need to do a controlled study on a representative population subset in our area to really see how many are in this situation.

So, I still say that unless we have a proven treatment in place by the end of July at the latest, football will be cancelled. The odds on having a reliable, high success rate drug treatment from the many old repurposed drugs being tested, like HCQ, remdesivir and other antivirals, is very low. The best short range option (it's starting now), many think, is the old school plasmapheresis approach I started a thread on today, where antibodies from recovered, infected patients are collected in blood-plasma and infused into sick patients to give them the antibodies to fight the disease off. This approach could also be used as a preventative for high risk populations like the elderly, the immunocompromised, and health care workers. Not sure it's scalable to everyone assuming it works.

Beyond that, the engineered antibody approach is probably the most promising and could be ready by mid/late summer from what I've heard. It uses transgenic mice to produce antibodies to a similar virus and then these antibodies can be "grown" in cell bioreactors and the best ones tested in humans to see if they protect against the virus for those who are infected and sick (this was used for Ebola); it could also be a short-term (months?) preventative for anyone.

And finally, there are vaccines, which will likely take at least 11-12 months to be ready for the public (could be emergency use though before then).

2. You just sound like a clown calling it the Trump virus. It's a fact that it came from China... And it's a fact that Trump was called racist by liberal lunatics when he banned travel from there.
He’s always a clown. Blaming one person for a global pandemic is beyond ignorant. Like him or not, don’t be ignorant and hope that we keep this down to the minimal loss of lives. Globally not just here in NJ or here in the US.

No change in my stance. Even if we flatten the curve enough to get past this first wave, odds are high that <1% of Americans will be known to have been infected from the virus test, meaning a next wave could happen easily if we relaxed social distancing significantly, and allowing large crowds will be the last thing approved. Many think the virus will be seasonal, slowing down some soon (especially with all our interventions), but coming back in the fall with a vengeance.

The one caveat to this is we have no idea right now how many were infected but didn't get sick and have immunity from the antibodies they produced in fighting the virus - we know about half of those who tested positive in some settings (like the Diamond Princess) never developed symptoms, so it's possible there are many more who have antibodies but don't know it. This would mean many would likely be immune and it would also mean any future outbreaks would be smaller, with less "targets" walking around. The antibody tests are now available as of today, I think - we need to do a controlled study on a representative population subset in our area to really see how many are in this situation.

So, I still say that unless we have a proven treatment in place by the end of July at the latest, football will be cancelled. The odds on having a reliable, high success rate drug treatment from the many old repurposed drugs being tested, like HCQ, remdesivir and other antivirals, is very low. The best short range option (it's starting now), many think, is the old school plasmapheresis approach I started a thread on today, where antibodies from recovered, infected patients are collected in blood-plasma and infused into sick patients to give them the antibodies to fight the disease off. This approach could also be used as a preventative for high risk populations like the elderly, the immunocompromised, and health care workers. Not sure it's scalable to everyone assuming it works.

Beyond that, the engineered antibody approach is probably the most promising and could be ready by mid/late summer from what I've heard. It uses transgenic mice to produce antibodies to a similar virus and then these antibodies can be "grown" in cell bioreactors and the best ones tested in humans to see if they protect against the virus for those who are infected and sick (this was used for Ebola); it could also be a short-term (months?) preventative for anyone.

And finally, there are vaccines, which will likely take at least 11-12 months to be ready for the public (could be emergency use though before then).
What about playing with no fans? Just with the TV money, I feel like the NCAA would so anything they can to play the season.

I think people will be allowed to go back to work, therefore there will be a second wave. I don’t believe schools will reopen so students will not be back on campus come September.

Unfortunately, I doubt there will be college football. The good news is I do think we will have NFL games played in empty stadiums.

I think people will be allowed to go back to work, therefore there will be a second wave. I don’t believe schools will reopen so students will not be back on campus come September.

Unfortunately, I doubt there will be college football. The good news is I do think we will have NFL games played in empty stadiums.
Correct, even the option to play in closed stadiums requires the campuses to be open. The fall semester may very well be virtual.

What about playing with no fans? Just with the TV money, I feel like the NCAA would so anything they can to play the season.
My guess is that unless we have a treatment/vaccine or we find out that most of the players have antibodies to the virus (which would likely mean most people do, which is likely a big stretch - but if they did transmission is way, way less likely without targets), close contact sports won't fly, social distancing will continue with maybe minor relaxation (and lots of testing to see if there are flareups), and classes will continue to be virtual.

Maybe if the plasma-antibody approach works, after giving this treatment to the elderly/compromised and health care workers, the NFL would get the $$ to ensure that all players and coaches would get such treatments. The hard part with that is the fairness issue, i.e., if only some fraction of people can get a treatment, should it go to the famous/wealthy first?

Here is a question. If season isn’t played how do they treat eligibility? Do players who haven’t taken a redshirt consider it a redshirt? Those who already redshirted do they lose a year because you have 5 years to play 4? If it is counted as nothing and allow a 6th year for those who have taken a redshirt what do they do with roster sizes for incoming freshman?

No way any fall sports are played. I even thinking winter sports will be cancelled. How many people are actually going to sit crammed in watching a game 3 months from a pandemic?

Psychopath bragging about his ratings. Sad. Can Pence be president please.
And your opinion about the season starting on time? At least if you are going to be political on this board also find the time to discuss the actual college football topic of the thread.

There will be no football this fall. No guys falling all over each/sweating,breathing on each other. No stadiums filled with thousands of people less than six feet apart, shouting a ever play. This virus may be somewhat contained. but not eliminated by then. Governments will not risk another exponential explosion of cases. Maybe spring 2021 sports after nationwide vaccination program over fall/winter. BTN replaying old Rutgers beat downs to keep other 13 teams happy.

It was spread at CPAC where he was. Seems like a fair name.

And...he "banned" travel from there after we had several cases AND the airlines cancelled all the flights anyway.

It was spread at CPAC where he was. Seems like a fair name.

And...he "banned" travel from there after we had several cases AND the airlines cancelled all the flights anyway.
It came from China and they hid the severity of it.
TDS

It came from China and they hid the severity of it.
TDS

It spread from CPAC where they lied about the virus.

ETGCUS4WAAMJSqn.jpg

No way any fall sports are played. I even thinking winter sports will be cancelled. How many people are actually going to sit crammed in watching a game 3 months from a pandemic?

Me.

Also if shit is shut down into winter sports' season I will be rioting on the streets with half the population.

Me.

Also if shit is shut down into winter sports' season I will be rioting on the streets with half the population.

You and few others will simply do your time inside a jail cell while the rest of us do it in the comfort of our own home. Why do some of you get so hysterical. We are all going through the same thing. It’s not the end of the world. This too shall pass.

And this comment relates to the question of the postponement of the college football season in what way? I believe we have another board where you can bash Trump/Biden/Sanders, etc. to your heart's content.

I was replying to somebody’s post on this topic. Knucklehead.

No one believes you will do anything like that if the worst happens.

Yeah, I won't. I'm mostly facetious about that.

I do expect shit to get weird though if there is shelter in place for anything approaching that long.

You and few others will simply do your time inside a jail cell while the rest of us do it in the comfort of our own home. Why do some of you get so hysterical. We are all going through the same thing. It’s not the end of the world. This too shall pass.

What are you talking about dude?

This has aged about 2-3 months. Wonder if some are still as confident.

College virtual programs will help isolate the student athletes from the student body. There will be a magnifying glass on MLB, NBA and MLS progress. If a large outbreak occurs while these leagues play or if there are a few cases where players get real sick, I can see the NCAA canning the football season or postponing to the spring. I think the NFL will play without fans and work out fine.

I think the TV revenue alone is enough for the B1G, SEC, ACC and NFL to play. I wouldn't be surprised if any of the leagues structured last minute incentive TV deals this season based on increased ratings, because I think they are all going to knock it out the park.

The one thing I said in previous thread, I think the NCAA could end the bowl games, NCAA playoff and championship. Also advise on playing in-conference games only and crowning a conference champion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT