ADVERTISEMENT

What are the paths to get in?

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
Season would be a total failure if we are
Not In Tournament (nit).
So what ways do we get in and matter for the first time since 1991?

Scenario A. Beat Maryland or Purdue and win one Big ten tourney game
Scenario B: lose to Maryland and Purdue and win two games or more in Big ten tournament
Scenario C: Beat Maryland and Purdue and have bid secured before big ten tournament
Scenario D: win one or none and and we will have authored one of the biggest late season collapses in history .

I am hoping for scenario C and go into conference tournament with House money

Not In Tournament (nit).

Scenario B: lose to Maryland and Purdue and win two games or more in Big ten tournament
Scenario C: Beat Maryland and Purdue and have bid secured before big ten tournament
Scenario D: win one or none and and we will have authored one of the biggest late season collapses in history .

Great season, whatever happens.

Maryland on its own may get us in.

We are now on a very thin line. If we lose the rest of our games and then lose to a Northwestern or Nebraska in the first round of the B1G tourney we may not even get into the NIT.

We are now on a very thin line. If we lose the rest of our games and then lose to a Northwestern or Nebraska in the first round of the B1G tourney we may not even get into the NIT.

I think NIT is all but secured. Worst we’d finish is 18-14

Reactions: Polos13
Not In Tournament (nit).

I would agree with this. It makes me nervous as hell

We're going to play in one tournament or the other, we 18 wins and we are located in the NYC area, NIT will most definitely take us and will pray we get to their Final Four at MSG.

I think we need to win 2 more. just Maryland wont be enough with our road record. we need to get one on the road down the stretch, either at purdue or in the BIG Tourny.

No it wouldn't. It would just increase the perception that Rutgers is a great home team and nothing more, especially after we lose to Purdue (under your scenario) and then lose in the first round of the B1G tournament. A 19-win Rutgers team with no quality road wins does not get into the NCAA Tournament.

More likely than not Maryland would be enough

Not In Tournament (nit).

In. 8 seed. 95% chance

In. 9 seed. 90% chance (assumes 2-1 Big Ten Tournament)

In. 8 seed. 95% chance (assumes 0-1 Big Ten Tournament)

Scenario D: win one or none and and we will have authored one of the biggest late season collapses in history

Win, loss, loss. In. 9 Seed. 85% chance.
Loss, win, loss. In. 9 Seed. 85% chance.
Loss, loss, win, loss. In. 10 Seed. 75% chance.
Loss, loss, loss. Out. 25% chance.

I am hoping for scenario E. Win out. Win Big Ten Tournament. 5 Seed.

No it wouldn't. It would just increase the perception that Rutgers is a great home team and nothing more, especially after we lose to Purdue (under your scenario) and then lose in the first round of the B1G tournament. A 19-win Rutgers team with no quality road wins does not get into the NCAA Tournament.

You continue to be incorrect.

More likely than not Maryland would be enough
bac - at this point, what do you think would help more, getting that 2nd road win at Purdue or beating top 10 MD at home? I think either of those scenarios at least gets us to the play-in round, even with a B1G tourney loss, but I'm not 100% on that. I feel almost certain that winning one more, then one in the tourney does lock us up.

bac - at this point, what do you think would help more, getting that 2nd road win at Purdue or beating top 10 MD at home? I think either of those scenarios at least gets us to the play-in round, even with a B1G tourney loss, but I'm not 100% on that. I feel almost certain that winning one more, then one in the tourney does lock us up.

I would say the Purdue win. We need a road win . But I rather go into Purdue after beating Maryland !

Not sure...a Purdue win solves the road issue and is a Q1 win..and alot of drama created around the game but Purdue has been fading. It does not compar to the sheer weight of beating Maryland a projected 2 seed. Thats an enormous win

Certainly with a win in either and winning a B10 tourney game gets us in. But if that doesn't i feel less safe with just a sole win at Purdue

What are the conference tournaments that will impact RU? Which conferences will likely only have 1 at-large selection that we should be rooting for in conference tournaments??

I hope the timely 5 days off will rest and rejuvenate the team, after this stretch of 6 losses in 8, to handle business against Maryland, a team that has MSU inbetween Minnesota win and us, Purdue, and B1G tourney.

Reactions: Scangg
Great season, whatever happens.

GTFO with that.
Seven straight losses for a final record of Division I record 17-15 (9-11) with a first round loss in the B1G Tournament and a first-round NIT loss would not a "great season" even by our woeful standards of the past 29 years.

Now, that's not how I think it plays out, but please don't try to con us like that.

I still believe we win one of the last 2, win a first-round B1G game and then do a lot of praying on 3/15.

GTFO with that.
Seven straight losses for a final record of Division I record 17-15 (9-11) with a first round loss in the B1G Tournament and a first-round NIT loss would not a "great season" even by our woeful standards of the past 29 years.

Now, that's not how I think it plays out, but please don't try to con us like that.

I still believe we win one of the last 2, win a first-round B1G game and then do a lot of praying on 3/15.
If we win one of the next 2 AND a B1G tournament game we wont even need to pray on Selection Sunday.

No, you and the handful of others who've spent the past month insisting Rutgers was a virtual lock and ridiculing those who urged caution do not get to tell anyone they were "incorrect." You have been proven wrong, not us. Enjoy your slice of humble pie; you earned it!

Nobody's been proven wrong about anything, what are you talking about?

No, you and the handful of others who've spent the past month insisting Rutgers was a virtual lock and ridiculing those who urged caution do not get to tell anyone they were "incorrect." You have been proven wrong, not us. Enjoy your slice of humble pie; you earned it!

Nobody's been proven wrong about anything, what are you talking about?

In all seriousness, please quote a post of mine that has been proven wrong.

Beating Maryland would almost assure we get in the tourney. The B1G is clearly the best league in the country this year and there are scant examples of B1G teams going .500 in conference in not going to the tourney. Even away at Purdue and I think it's a virtual lock.

We lose both, work to do in the tourney.

if RU won last night, they were in...they would have been an 8 seed at the moment, very little to dispute here......thats why it was so crushing.

No one is disputing that. But we aren't talking about what's in the past. It's what it's going to take moving forward.

Reactions: Scangg
I believe we get in with a win vs. Maryland and would say 50/50 with a win vs. Purdue.

Unless we win these last two it’s gonna nerve wracking with just 1 more win. The good thing is most people insisting 19 wins would be a lock last month or dismissing the road issue have gone silent. You can’t predict a lock in February and the road struggles do matter.

GTFO with that.

what were your expectations heading into season? Truthfully..did u truthfully see us at this point in the season fighting for an NCAA bid in September?

I believe we get in with a win vs. Maryland and would say 50/50 with a win vs. Purdue.

Unless we win these last two it’s gonna nerve wracking with just 1 more win. The good thing is most people insisting 19 wins would be a lock last month or dismissing the road issue have gone silent. You can’t predict a lock in February and the road struggles do matter.

Nobody ever said it was a lock, just likely, and it is still likely.

I don't think which game we win is as important as you are saying. Agree the Maryland game is bigger but just win one of these two and we are 85% in there (more when you consider that we get a chance to win a tournament game).

its playing out exactly how some of us feared, thats why I was freaking out then, the sooner RU dealt with the road issue and got the win, the better off they would be as that wart would have been removed. Always so much uncertainty

Its also why any bracketology before Feb 1 is bunk...there are still 10 games left to be played and that is enormous. Its very easy for schools to pick up some quality wins the last half of the season and narrow the gap from schools like RU and say LSU who have sputtered the past month. We have RU sliding toward last in and you have teams moving up from outside the bubble to the last in. No one had Xavier or Providence in the field a month ago or even thought they had a chance...UCLA was not even a blip on the NCAA radar screen now they are last 4 out. Purdue looked really set a few weeks ago and now they are on their last leg.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Not In Tournament (nit).

I wouldn't say it's one of the biggest collapses in late season history. It just so happens that the 2nd half of the schedule was much harder than the first half. I think the only game we were favored in (slightly) during this stretch that we lost was against Michigan and it's not like that's a terrible loss.

Nobody ever said it was a lock, just likely, and it is still likely.

I don't think which game we win is as important as you are saying. Agree the Maryland game is bigger but just win one of these two and we are 85% in there (more when you consider that we get a chance to win a tournament game).

There were a number of people 3-4 weeks ago that were saying 19 wins was a lock. I could dig up the thread but I won’t.

Reactions: RutgersNYCB1G
I don't think anyone credible said that. Or they weren't counting Caldwell. But you might be right.

Beat Maryland and we are in...beat Purdue and we are likely in...can’t lose both unless we make a miracle run in Indy.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Can lose both and get in with the miracle run of winning one game imo but obviously 19-14 is worse than 19-13.

What are the conference tournaments that will impact RU? Which conferences will likely only have 1 at-large selection that we should be rooting for in conference tournaments??
Teams we'd rather not have in the bubble for an at large.
Root for Northern Iowa to win the Missouri Valley.
Root for East Tennessee St to win the Southern.
Root for Liberty to win the Atlantic Sun.

Also, root for any team rated below us in a multi-bid league to lose in it's conference tournament.

Reactions: mikemarc1
ADVERTISEMENT